The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The battle of the EV Trucks. Who will win?

Ghostsof1915

So we have basically 4-5 companies, and a few start ups as well. 

1) Tesla Cybertruck. The stats make it seem like a winner. The styling on the other hand is very polarizing. I think it looks like a pizza oven. Or an 8 year old in the 80's sketching of a truck. 

But some people love it. Tri-motor AWD? 500+ mile range? Has the advantage of Tesla's supercharger network. 3,500 lbs payload, 7,000 to 14,000 lb towing capacity. 

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/cybertruck?redirect=no

2) Ford F150 Lightning. With Ford's infrastructure, and financial muscle and experience. I won't be surprised if this is successful. All wheel drive. Traditional looks. Low end version 230 mile/370 km range. High end 300 miles/480 km range. Just driver and truck, it's been tested at 400 miles/640 km. We will see if it's real world or not. Starts 2,000 lb payload for low end.

10,000 lb towing capacity. 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/?gnav=header-electrified-vhp

3) Rivian R1T. Two pairs of dual motors. 835 hp!?!? 0-60 3.0 seconds? Crew Cab. This one will be pricey. Seems more like an EV Off road Vehicle, for camping, skiing, etc. No stats on payload capacity. Other than 11,000 lb towing capacity. $67,000 to $73,000 US. 

https://rivian.com/r1t

4) Lordstown Endurance. 4 wheel hub motors, now that's different. 250+ mile range. 8,000 lbs. towing capacity. 600 HP. 

https://www.lordstownmotors.com/pages/endurance

5) GMC Hummer EV Pickup.  Dual or Tri Motor. (I see a trend). 350+ mile range. 0-60 mph in 3.0 seconds. 1000 hp?!?!  11,500 lb-ft of torque?!?!? I can't find any payload or towing stats.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev

Looks like between Fall 2021 and 2023 for launch dates. 

So does everyone win in this lucrative market? I can imagine folks in construction, trades etc., liking to cut their gas bill each month. And less down time for maintenance. Will they be durable and reliable I guess is the real question. Interesting times ahead. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The big issue with EV trucks is gaging the battery charge loss while using the truck as a truck.  If hauling or towing how quickly will the batteries run out of juice?  If the trucks are just toys, then sure.  

Not a fan of GM EV tech.  Don’t their little EV cars spontaneously combust?  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The big issue with EV trucks is gaging the battery charge loss while using the truck as a truck.  If hauling or towing how quickly will the batteries run out of juice?  If the trucks are just toys, then sure.  

Not a fan of GM EV tech.  Don’t their little EV cars spontaneously combust?  

Yeah, me either. More worrisome is their Hummers have seemingly twice the battery size of their competitors. Real world numbers when they are all in production will be interesting. 

Personal opinion that I like the Rivian and Ford's style the best. Ford at least is stating their range is based on 1000 lbs. of payload. Basically if you're doing a lot of highway driving EV's may not be for you quite yet. Once again it depends on what you are doing with it. 

I see almost just as many folks driving pickup trucks with the bed empty as folks driving with the bed full. 

• Vintage 1

My gut and watching of some reviews says the F150 is probably the best and most practical for most people. That said, I expect the only market will be consumers, not the sort of people that buy trucks for hard towing work.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

My gut and watching of some reviews says the F150 is probably the best and most practical for most people. That said, I expect the only market will be consumers, not the sort of people that buy trucks for hard towing work.

My guess is the Lightning as well if real world lives up to the stats Ford is suggesting. Rather than towing I think it will be extremely popular with construction/work site crews carrying  tools, compressors, mixers, etc to the job. The fact that it can be used to power things on site eliminates having to bring generators. We’ve been considering buying a large permanent generator for the home for quite a while now and when I told the wife that Ford claims it can power your house in an emergency for three days it made her ears perk up right on cue! Subtract the price of the generator from Ford’s suggested pricing (base model same price or lower than their gas model) and if could be very attractive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tesla has the technological/efficiency lead. Whether or not that has yet to influence success at consumer adoption remains to be seen. My gut says the Cybertruck will probably be the best performing with a payload just due to how far ahead tesla is on tech. However, the looks of the cyber truck is less traditional which may turn some people away. A lot of trades people will probably opt for hybrid options if they become available. EVs are less efficient on the highway and if there is highway driving between jobs it may be a barrier to using EVs as work trucks. For work place adoption the charging network needs to be come more robust imo.

Don't rule out Toyota, the brand new Tundra is going to be finally unveiled today I believe (or sometime this week anyway).  There may not be a hybrid at first but there most certainly will be one soon, and the fully electric model shouldn't be out of the question either. 

Toyota has said the new Tundra will be a game-changer in the full-size segment. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Don't rule out Toyota, the brand new Tundra is going to be finally unveiled today I believe (or sometime this week anyway).  There may not be a hybrid at first but there most certainly will be one soon, and the fully electric model shouldn't be out of the question either. 

I'd expect that whenever Toyota does enter the EV truck market, they will do so with aplomb. It will be interesting to see what they do and how they try to differentiate themselves.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd expect that whenever Toyota does enter the EV truck market, they will do so with aplomb. It will be interesting to see what they do and how they try to differentiate themselves.

Maybe a hydrogen fuel cell EV. Easier to get bigger range/payload than with a battery EV, and Toyota already has a HFCEV sedan in it's second generation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Toyota is just dragging their feet though, its frustrating as a life long toyota owner until I got my Hyundai EV recently.  They keep pushing hydrogen eventhough theres no infrastructure.  

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, me either. More worrisome is their Hummers have seemingly twice the battery size of their competitors. Real world numbers when they are all in production will be interesting. 

Personal opinion that I like the Rivian and Ford's style the best. Ford at least is stating their range is based on 1000 lbs. of payload. Basically if you're doing a lot of highway driving EV's may not be for you quite yet. Once again it depends on what you are doing with it. 

I see almost just as many folks driving pickup trucks with the bed empty as folks driving with the bed full. 

Hummer is just a big wasteful toy, they need a normal truck.  And who knows with Lordstown, their style of the 4 wheel hub motors is interesting but theres lots of reasons why people have come out and said it could lead to premature wear.  

Rivian is pricey, F150 should be the go to for most for those that don't want the Cybertruck.  CT is funky, different, but their tech is still far ahead.  I currently have a pre-order for the CT myself, see in a couple years when my order actually gets filled.  Rumor has it theres a million of them on pre-order (who knows how many of that will get filled) and the estimate when I put my order in was around the 300,000 mark that was estimated by sites so we'll see.  F150 would be my second choice of the group as of right now.

Edited by Russ
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So we have basically 4-5 companies, and a few start ups as well. 

1) Tesla Cybertruck. The stats make it seem like a winner. The styling on the other hand is very polarizing. I think it looks like a pizza oven. Or an 8 year old in the 80's sketching of a truck. 

But some people love it. Tri-motor AWD? 500+ mile range? Has the advantage of Tesla's supercharger network. 3,500 lbs payload, 7,000 to 14,000 lb towing capacity. 

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/cybertruck?redirect=no

2) Ford F150 Lightning. With Ford's infrastructure, and financial muscle and experience. I won't be surprised if this is successful. All wheel drive. Traditional looks. Low end version 230 mile/370 km range. High end 300 miles/480 km range. Just driver and truck, it's been tested at 400 miles/640 km. We will see if it's real world or not. Starts 2,000 lb payload for low end.

10,000 lb towing capacity. 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/?gnav=header-electrified-vhp

3) Rivian R1T. Two pairs of dual motors. 835 hp!?!? 0-60 3.0 seconds? Crew Cab. This one will be pricey. Seems more like an EV Off road Vehicle, for camping, skiing, etc. No stats on payload capacity. Other than 11,000 lb towing capacity. $67,000 to $73,000 US. 

https://rivian.com/r1t

4) Lordstown Endurance. 4 wheel hub motors, now that's different. 250+ mile range. 8,000 lbs. towing capacity. 600 HP. 

https://www.lordstownmotors.com/pages/endurance

5) GMC Hummer EV Pickup.  Dual or Tri Motor. (I see a trend). 350+ mile range. 0-60 mph in 3.0 seconds. 1000 hp?!?!  11,500 lb-ft of torque?!?!? I can't find any payload or towing stats.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev

Looks like between Fall 2021 and 2023 for launch dates. 

So does everyone win in this lucrative market? I can imagine folks in construction, trades etc., liking to cut their gas bill each month. And less down time for maintenance. Will they be durable and reliable I guess is the real question. Interesting times ahead. 

Ford, Nothing else is a running unit and all hypothetical statistics

6 hours ago, 4petesake said:

My guess is the Lightning as well if real world lives up to the stats Ford is suggesting. Rather than towing I think it will be extremely popular with construction/work site crews carrying  tools, compressors, mixers, etc to the job. The fact that it can be used to power things on site eliminates having to bring generators. We’ve been considering buying a large permanent generator for the home for quite a while now and when I told the wife that Ford claims it can power your house in an emergency for three days it made her ears perk up right on cue! Subtract the price of the generator from Ford’s suggested pricing (base model same price or lower than their gas model) and if could be very attractive.

Wow really. Didnt realize it could do that. Pretty impressive this new technology.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm a huge Toyota fan, but they have a hell of a deficit to make up. I did a 25 page marketing report on the Toyota Tundra 2 years ago and highlighted pretty much every single technical and production deficiency in the truck.

Short story, they're facing a 10 year technical deficit that the other manufacturers have been incrementally building upon. Hell, even Nissan has been trying to keep up despite the engine 'issues'.

I have high hopes, particularly given the use of the Landy engine from overseas, but we'll see what it looks like 'in the metal' once it rolls off the floor. I wouldn't pick up a launch year with them having to change so many things to make the truck a product of 2020, rather than 2007. Yes it's Toyota, but they've still made duds too.

As for this question, the F150 is going to run away with it. It's an F150 to start with, the specs are respectable, and it doesn't look like dog****, it looks like a truck, AND it has the Ford dealer network for the 'resistant' people.