The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

32 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

From the sounds of it, Petey and Hughes are forcing Benning's hand at trading one or two of their teammates so that those salaries can go to them. The only other possibility is that Benning is refusing to divvy up the remaining cap to them. I sense the former being true, as it sounds like they're asking for way more than what's being offered. 

This could get uglier.

It shouldn’t get ugly both of them are no way near 9 million and of the two it sounds like Quinn hughes is holding up the two so you make tough choice you trade him n re up petey my package would be 

Ryan graves pavel zacha 2022 1st Nolan Foote for Quinn hughes 

petey 4 years 8.5

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

It shouldn’t get ugly both of them are no way near 9 million and of the two it sounds like Quinn hughes is holding up the two so you make tough choice you trade him n re up petey my package would be 

Ryan graves pavel zacha 2022 1st Nolan Foote for Quinn hughes 

petey 4 years 8.5

Tough to say. Personally, I think Petey has a case for getting 9 million with his season and post-season ppg average. It's the market for these young players these days. Unfortunately, other GMs have set a precedent, and also unfortunately, Benning tried to back them into a corner with only having so much to spend, but these young guys want and expect to get paid. Benning has a lot of work to do to get this done, likely through a trade to clear more cap.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't rush to judgements on these teams. The following all have chances to have a good year and possibly be better than us.

LAK

NJD

OTT - Gunna be a sick team in a couple years

CHI

MTL

NYR 

CGY

PHI

MIN

Good post though. Lots of reason for optimism.

This is my personal view on these teams

LAK is still a couple years away, not to mention Kopitar and Doughty’s careers are winding down. They have a ton of youth, but like all young teams, they need some experience. I give them a couple years and they are going to be a good team

NJD have a fair amount of young talent. Once again though, they need some time to marinate

OTT is pretty damn close to being a seriously competitive team. Goaltending is where they are a bit weak, for now.

CHI could be a pretty good team, but how is Toews going to be when he comes back? How is Fleury going to follow up that unreal season on a weaker Chicago team? He had a great run in VGK, but they were a contending team. Hes not on a contender anymore and there are some holes/weak spots on his new team.

MTL - No weber, they upgraded on Kotkaniemi with Dvorak, Drouin is back this season, they’ll have Caufield, But I really feel like last season was their one shot at a cup, until they can find a Carey Price replacement at 1/2 the cap hit, they are going to struggle. I just dont really do not see them making the playoffs in a divisional spot, but maybe sneak into a wildcard spot, the east still has quite a few beasts.

NYR - I’ll agree that they are a good lookin, up and coming team. I just feel like we are a little ahead of them. 

CGY - that team got another year older and up until today, they havent done much to get better.

They remind me of the 2013-14 Canucks, stale and they stink. Idk what it is, but whenever Calgary is on TV i feel like puking watching them play, they are just blehhhh. 

PHI - they’ve got quite a few guys 29+ and they are core guys…. Sure they have some decent young guys, but the bigger pieces on that team are older and going to be big holes to fill.

MIN - those buyouts are going to cause some migraines for the next 5 years… 

• Cheers 2

$14 million in cap.

Petey:  7.5 x 8

Huggy:  6.5 x 6

done.

I wish.

I hate to say it but I think Hughes has had a more hardline influence on Petey.  I guess it happens to all young players when they go from wide eyed wonder to just be able to play in the NHL, to trying to squeeze out as much of the cap as GM has to spend into their own bank accounts.  But it seems like Petey's laid back Swedish personality has been swayed by the Hughes Family Plan.  Getting him to dump his agent in favour of Hughes more hard line established firm was the start.  Quinn has this arrogance that every star player does need. But I didn't like to hear him say things about his brothers in NJ, "Hopefully we will play together some day".   He is steering Petey to look at his career more as a business plan than the way of just working hard, playing well, live and die by your team, and just trust everything will work out.  Which may be smart moneywise to get the maximum you can, but for fans we want to hear team first.

I do think that some of Petey's comments meanings were lost in translation.   In North America, we think its normal for a sports figure, to tell white lies, and give out bold promises that have no real base for them. We LOVE them for saying things like "I am going to stay with this team until we win a Cup!"   Or like Bieksa said he would "go down with this ship", come hell or high water.

Swedes come from a culture where honesty is appreciated more.  OF COURSE any young star, from Canada, USA, or Russia does not know for sure, where he will be playing in some future year. But hopes its on a winner. And probably would rather play on a winner, than stay with a badly managed team that drafted him. Its just that no North American born player will say that in public because culturally they have been taught to lie to the media about wanting to stay forever with their present team, they love the city, the fans are the best in the world etc etc.  So its shocking to hear a player deviate from that established PR answer, and answer honestly.

51 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agreed.  Neither are showing the kind of leadership McKinnon has shown.  They say they want to win but then seem to be holding out for contracts that just may handcuff the team from doing just that.  

Well said 

Edited by TFerguson

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Can you show me an example of someone "losing their mind"?

The words you use would more likely lend itself to that.  Whenever butthurt, pathetic and toxic and all those describing words are used it's generally to exaggerate and blow up reasonable discussion.

Well go and reread yours and @McBackup's responses to @KoreanHockeyFan. Talk about way overblown with regards to a simple comment from Jack Hughes off the cuff regarding his brother and his contract and somehow you guys take it as personal attack on the Canucks when that's not even remotely the topic of his statement. Like not at all. Not even close to his intention.

I mean, jeepers, a guy can't even respond truthfully and simply to an innocent question without people on the other side of the country completely misconstruing it and losing their minds in 30 or so posts full of griping about absolutely nothing. I get defending oneself but this going out of one's way to feel hard done by I don't get.

Just imagine if I'm making a comment about Jack Eichel, Todd Bertuzzi, Kakko, Giroux, Stutzle, Laine, etc., having an off year but it should be acknowledged that they played on bad teams last year. Are their fans going to defend their players or flip out and drone on and on about how their teams aren't actually bad and that's all taken out of context and blasphemy. No they're going to actually address what the topic was about not something completely taken out of context. It's like you're just looking for a fight.

That's what I would call 'losing your mind', over absolutely nothing, or 'misplaced anger'. Something along those lines anyway when you can't handle a simple comment without completely blowing it out of proportion. Personally I don't think Jack cares or has the responsibility to fully understand the Canucks 8th last place finish when making a simple statement regarding their poor finish in regards to the topic at hand.

Anyways carry on. Personally I couldn't care less what Jack thinks but it seems to me it was a reasonable statement that didn't need this amount of angst or dissection.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

McKinnon has done far more to prove himself on and off the ice than either Petey or Quinn.  Holding out for superstar contracts with their short track records is selfish and could be detrimental to the team's longer term success.  

I'm just countering the pervasive view that McKinnon took less.

AS to leadership, I'm not sure the alleged freak outs about team mates diets is actually good leadership.

• Upvote 1

If for some insane reason we can only get one of these two signed, it better be Petey.  Obviously still hoping for both to get signed on non-team-crippling deals.  C'mon guys, times up, stop playing hardball.

Bring back the bridge deal!  No more of this RFA madness that Toronto has helped create.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well go and reread yours and @McBackup's responses to @KoreanHockeyFan. Talk about way overblown with regards to a simple comment from Jack Hughes off the cuff regarding his brother and his contract and somehow you guys take it as personal attack on the Canucks when that's not even remotely the topic of his statement. Like not at all. Not even close to his intention.

I mean, jeepers, a guy can't even respond truthfully and simply to an innocent question without people on the other side of the country completely misconstruing it and losing their minds in 30 or so posts full of griping about absolutely nothing. I get defending oneself but this going out of one's way to feel hard done by I don't get.

Just imagine if I'm making a comment about Jack Eichel, Todd Bertuzzi, Kakko, Giroux, Stutzle, Laine, etc., having an off year but it should be acknowledged that they played on bad teams last year. Are their fans going to defend their players or flip out and drone on and on about how their teams aren't actually bad and that's all taken out of context and blasphemy. No they're going to actually address what the topic was about not something completely taken out of context. It's like you're just looking for a fight.

That's what I would call 'losing your mind', over absolutely nothing, or 'misplaced anger'. Something along those lines anyway when you can't handle a simple comment without completely blowing it out of proportion. Personally I don't think Jack cares or has the responsibility to fully understand the Canucks 8th last place finish when making a simple statement regarding their poor finish in regards to the topic at hand.

Anyways carry on. Personally I couldn't care less what Jack thinks but it seems to me it was a reasonable statement that didn't need this amount of angst or dissection.

I think you just described the internet!   I am in awe.    

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Again...can you quote what you're referring to instead of generalizations?

Losing our minds?  Where?

For those who need help with it:

A simple comment = "I'm not going to get into that"

or

"Quinn's contract is his deal"

or
"I'll let Quinn and his agent work that out"

or

"I have enough to worry about with my super crappy team"

or

"I play on a worse team than his, so I really don't have the answers"

or
"I'm a number one pick and need to focus on improving my own game"

The comment = 

"Yeah, just for me I think I'm just gonna focus on the game let that, let my playing do the talking...um, see how the year goes but you know Quinn he's deserved the money, he should get  uh you know he's had two pretty good years.  I know last year people were talking about his defence and his dashes but you know, when you play on one of the worst teams in the division and in the league um, that's bound to happen.  Uh, I think he's just waiting now ... I know he loves Vancouver and he wants to play there but the number has to be right so, uh we'll see when that gets done"

He was asked about his extension but we didn't get much on that at all.  That would've been a simple (appropriate) answer.  Off the cuff, he rambled about our team but his own team sits below us.  Hilarious".

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Id say theres not a snowballs chance on an erupting volcanos chance that QH should get 9m... Even with Petey there has to be almost max-term for 9m to make sense

Well, as I said, precedents have been set with other players, so really the issue right now is that Benning backed himself into a corner with not leaving himself enough room to sign our two most important players. 

The era of team-friendly, build a winning team mentality are over. This new generation of pay-me-now players has arrived. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Well, as I said, precedents have been set with other players, so really the issue right now is that Benning backed himself into a corner with not leaving himself enough room to sign our two most important players. 

The era of team-friendly, build a winning team mentality are over. This new generation of pay-me-now players has arrived. 

Yup. With another team entering the league, it makes it that much harder to win a cup and guys know that and are banking on huge paydays rather than illustrious careers.