The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Your internet "NHL" experience is not needed here by actual NHL experience in Rutherford to run an actual NHL franchise. Be confused all you want. You won't be missed by the Canucks no matter how important you think "your" opinion is to how successful the billionaire franchise is lmao.

Oh boy....:picard:

Hey, we may disagree with others but that's what makes forums more interesting as long as we all want what's best (in our own view) for the Canucks. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm actually happy to have people that contradict my opinion.  I have even gone as far as unblocking Squamfan :) 

Speaking of which. Is he partying on HF boards now? I haven't seen him since the start of the season. 

I'd thought he'd be starting threads like. "SEE I TOLD YOU!" 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I remember this being brought up when Rutherford was first hired, so I’m not too surprised with the news today (of another former Penguin being added to the Canucks staff).

Don’t be surprised if there’s more to come. 

Burkie knows the city but I dare say most of the media have turned over since his day (May 2004) but his tenure is pre Aquilini.  I'm not sure what Price means by nudge other than a recommendation for the city.  Is Price trying to imply that a favour was granted and is expected to be repaid?

Honestly, one would expect Rutherford to hire based on past relationships and trade for players that he knows well.  It's only natural.  Not a conspiracy.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Burkie knows the city but I dare say most of the media have turned over since his day (May 2004) but his tenure is pre Aquilini.  I'm not sure what Price means by nudge other than a recommendation for the city.  Is Price trying to imply that a favour was granted and is expected to be repaid?

Honestly, one would expect Rutherford to hire based on past relationships and trade for players that he knows well.  It's only natural.  Not a conspiracy.

I think he was simply implying that It was expected that some former penguins staff would be joining Rutherford in Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

The ‘interim’ GM hiring the permanent AGM who will work with the permanent GM who’s not even hired yet makes absolutely no freaking sense. How people agree with this rationale is beyond me. 

Interim GM still needs someone to help him make assessments about the team. When poaching another team's employee, you have to make it worth it and offering him an interim AGM position, if such position even makes sense, won't do.

You want to get good people in the organization in every position.

Rutherford is setting up a organizational hierarchy and trying to put good people in the right places where each person is responsible for specific areas of the hockey operations. As I see it, we were missing quite a few AGM level positions.

1. Pro-scouting

2. Amateur scouting

3. Data analytics

4. Contracts and cap management.

There may be more but that's the list that I can think of at the top of my head.

Among the positions, item 1 is of utmost urgency as Rutherford needs to make accurate assessment of the team in preparation for TDL, be it as a buyer or seller. Rutherford did promise the end of January as the time frame.

Item 2 is still very much intact, after all, the scouts are working whether there is a GM change, or AGM change or whatnot.

Item 3 is important but not essential to making the assessments and day-to-day hockey operations.

Item 4 is can wait a bit as the off season is still ways away and we don't have any major UFA coming up.

So Rutherford filled out the position that urgently needed to be filled.

And, you have to understand that the new GM coming in isn't going to be calling all the shots.

The new GM will come in and do the everyday grind that is required of the GM at the advice of his AGMs and report to POHO. 

And we may hire even more AGMs before a new GM comes in. For example, if anyone like Eric Tulsky with Canes becomes available, we should hire that guy to be an AGM in charge of data analytics to fill item 3 above.

Now, if the best candidate for the GM position will only be available at the end of the season, then we can't wait to fill the other vacant positions, like item 2 and 4 above. So Rutherford may go ahead and fill those positions as well. The new GM will come in and instead of forming his own faction and brining in new people, he should work with the existing good people that were hired before him. If he can't, then he is not a good candidate. 

Of course, the new GM may want to hire his own AGM once he starts working as he may identify areas where we are missing personnel. And such hiring should be carried out with the POHO as well as other AGMs involved in the process to 1) make sure that such position is needed (maybe existing AGM can tackle on the additional work) and 2) find the best possible candidate that will work well with people that are already in place.

Letting a GM come in and hire all the AGMs so that he can call all the shots isn't a good idea as we saw what happened at the end of Benning's tenure with Weisbrod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm actually happy to have people that contradict my opinion.  I have even gone as far as unblocking Squamfan :) 

I have yet to block him either, for fear I might miss out on his zany, comedic stylings.

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

To be honest @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME; I am not that impressed with his scouting or pro scouting record while with Pittsburgh. You can check it out at quanthockey.com. Granted they were drafting later on in each round but I just do not see much there that impresses me.

I hope he proves me wrong about him though.

I doubt you still know what pro scouting means if you are still looking at Pens drafts 

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Interim GM still needs someone to help him make assessments about the team. When poaching another team's employee, you have to make it worth it and offering him an interim AGM position, if such position even makes sense, won't do.

Rutherford is setting up a organizational hierarchy and trying to put good people in the right places where each person is responsible for specific areas of the hockey operations. As I see it, we were missing quite a few AGM level positions.

1. Pro-scouting

2. Amateur scouting

3. Data analytics

There may be more but that's the list that I can think of at the top of my head.

Among the positions, item 1 is of utmost urgency as Rutherford needs to make accurate assessment of the team in preparation for TDL, be it as a buyer or seller. Rutherford did promise the end of January as the time frame.

Item 2 is still very much intact, after all, the scouts are working whether there is a GM change, or AGM change or whatnot.

Item 3 is important but not essential to making the assessments and day-to-day hockey operations.

Item 4 is can wait a bit as the off season is still ways away and we don't have any major UFA coming up.

And, you have to understand that the new GM coming in isn't going to be calling all the shots.

The new GM will come in and do the everyday grind that is required of the GM at the advice of his AGMs and report to POHO. 

And we may hire even more AGMs before a new GM comes in. For example, if anyone like Eric Tulsky with Canes becomes available, we should hire that guy to be an AGM in charge of data analytics to fill item 3 above.

Now, if the best candidate for the GM position will only be available at the end of the season, then we can't wait to fill the other vacant positions, like item 2 and 4 above. So Rutherford may go ahead and fill those positions as well. The new GM will come in and instead of forming his own faction and brining in new people, he should work with the existing good people that were hired before him. If he can't, then he is not a good candidate. 

Of course, the new GM may want to hire his own AGM once he starts working as he may identify areas where we are missing personnel. And such hiring should be carried out with the POHO as well as other AGMs involved in the process to 1) make sure that such position is needed (maybe existing AGM can tackle on the additional work) and 2) find the best possible candidate that will work well with people that are already in place.

Letting a GM come in and hire all the AGMs so that he can call all the shots isn't a good idea as we saw what happened at the end of Benning's tenure with Weisbrod.

That's a rather long way of saying yay changes.

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of weird to have an assistant GM before a GM, haha.

If we read between the lines Rutherford will know his hires and possibly worked previously with them all..Rutherford knew ownership was hiring Boudreau and new him..Rutherford will have guys that can work together personality wise and knowing the people he hires makes a faster transition..

Very smart of Rutherford.....

11 minutes ago, khay said:

1. Pro-scouting

2. Amateur scouting

3. Data analytics

I think Rutherford will bring in a GM  with lots of assisting GM experience and mentor him closely for his 3 yrs before Rutherford retires..

New GM will be under 50 with experience..I like Mallanby but I do think the GM will be one of Rutherfords previous guys...

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think Rutherford will bring in a GM  with lots of assisting GM experience and mentor him closely for his 3 yrs before Rutherford retires..

New GM will be under 50 with experience..I like Mallanby but I do think the GM will be one of Rutherfords previous guys...

The GM maybe someone he knows but he made a list of 40 people for the GM role. It might also be someone that is a younger AGM that has had good performance in a team like Avs and maybe he would be the stromg candidate. I see the AGMs as people Ruthrford feels comfortable with but the GM search will not be just the people he is familiar with. He said the GM search will be extensive and I believe him.

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

To clarify, this includes all lesser pro-leagues.............AHL, KHL, SHL, etc...........

After, the high of the Boudreau hiring; the next few hirings, seems to have some question marks - based on there past history.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of weird to have an assistant GM before a GM, haha.

Not at all. Because JR is in charge. He approved BB as coach before he took the job. BB is in reality JRs hire as the coach of this team. 

It's JRs show. The GM will be the point man and media guy for JR but all hockey decisions will be JRs to approve. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

The ‘interim’ GM hiring the permanent AGM who will work with the permanent GM who’s not even hired yet makes absolutely no freaking sense. How people agree with this rationale is beyond me. 

JR is the boss.  GM and AGMs will all answer to JR. 

JR is 72  years old. Maybe 73.. he will have a GM to mentor and guide. The GM will be guided by JR. 

AGM won't be answering to GM. Both of them will be answering to JR..

• Thanks 2