The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Just now, PLOGUE said:

I can honestly say that I have no bloody idea what this management team's direction is going to be.  I don't understand any of the moves they have made and I don't know whether they think this team has a chance to make the playoffs or not.

they saved money on the bottom pairing

they didn't overpay for a 4th liner

whats hard to understand? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gator said:

Man I hate that I love this team. I wish I could be disloyal and say &^@# them, but I cant. Guess i'll suffer the rest of my existence rooting for a franchise that refuses to properly rebuild

I get it but life is not fair and being a Canuck fan, is part of the struggle. Atleast, the Canucks are doing better than our expansion cousin; but there crop of young players and there lower standing, might net them another good pick.  Ofcourse, the cap and there mediocrity will cause most of those players to re-gress.

On the positive side of things, I figure Richardson will be on the 4th line now with Lamikko and Highmore.

So that means no more Motto line...

But we now have the BLaH (Brad, Lamikko, Highmore) line....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like others suggested, extension talks with Motte's agent must have gone south. This was likely the price NYR wouldn't budge from

Would have liked a 3rd back, but this is the situation we're stuck with. Better something close to the ideal than nothing

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

What’s more concerning for me is that after all these years we don’t have an in house solution, somewhere in the system, for a guy that can penalty kill, play with energy, and provide little offence that will be on a cheap contract. Isn’t this what your farm system is for? 

Yes, but for an organization that properly develops talent in their farm system. The Canucks haven't done that in a very long time!

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Unimpressed Viola Davis GIF

fck this I’m out…

The offseason was always going to be the place where management could re-shape this roster.  Handcuffed because of cap and I dont suspect they were willing to retain cap on anyone given the dead cap we already have + bonuses on the books.

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, I get it all. See the upside. It all just feels lackluster. Thought we could do just a little better. 

He's a 4th line rental. If we step back from our Canucks lens we'd all see that we value Motte as fans more than the league does. Plus, as others have mentioned, other deals done earlier lowered his value even more. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

It's not that we dumped Motte for a 4th... It's that this is culmination of months of "hard work" from our new management team. A lot of preaching and prepping for this!?

We don't have any other players that were UFAs that we have to move.

Like it's been mentioned, the bulk of work will be done in the off season.

No need to make knee jerk trades if you know you can get decent value in the off season.