The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

So I thought about this a bit and I think the return's actually alright.

- Beauvillier's no Horvat obviously but I don't think this return is about him.

- Raty was supposed to be the 1st overall pick in 2021 before he fell off a cliff. He's shown a ton of improvement since though and could be the dark horse of all of this.

- NYI is currently out of a playoff spot but up there enough in the standings that we might just get a 13th overall pick. If not, then we have the chance of an even higher pick next draft

It's actually a pretty good return to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Isn't it better if they finish like some said something like 13th?

they are pretty much in `13th right now

1 point up on 13th with Nashville having 4 games in hand

basically the Isle are protected from any fall

interesting that they couldn't pry a defenseman away from one of the deepest Ds in the league

rookie GM doing rookie GM things I guess

Maybe a defenseman will fall from the sky

right onto our top pairing

So many question marks on this one.  from coaching to development to drafting

Just kind of stinks of a deal being made for the sake of making a deal.  Beauvelier is a UFA to end next year. Will he mesh well with Tocchet or will he pick up points on EPs line and bolt for a good paycheque next year. Will Raty hit his ceiling as a 2b centre?  Was another LHC what this team needed?  Will he actually develop in this system or be thrown in under Tocchet; and if so, how will he react to that kind of coaching as well?

At this stage it's a meh deal at best; but checks literally none of the boxes Vancouver needed to hit and the best hopes for this team is that Horvat doesn't push them past the 12 spot.  They keep their pick and Horvat walks; while we draft top 5 this year and NYI hands us a lottery pick next year.

This is absolutely going to be a wait and see deal in 2 years time

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

How is it horrible management? JB let everyone walk and everyone complained. Alvinn actually gets good pieces for our assets and everyone still complains. Sometimes I think this fan base is happy being unhappy. Maybe it’s all the rain.

10+ years of being a losing team does that to ya 

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Isn't it better if they finish like some said something like 13th?

Depends on what you value at that spot. It's not a very D friendly draft. Sandin Pellikka is nice, but he brings a lot of what Hughes does. We need size on the blueline, another 5'10 offensive D-man isn't really what we need. Also, we are likely getting a center with our 1st rounder, so I doubt they wanna double down on centers especially with a center being in this trade as well.

It might be better for the Isles to lose out, push that 1st to next year where there are some really good D projected for the 1st round. If they lose out, there's also a good chance Bo might just leave. Making them potentially a lottery team next year. We took their best prospect and their 1st rounder. For a guy they might not even have next year. I am definitely gonna be watching Isles games. I wanna see what happens. This may be a Colorado/Ottawa situation. Where we get a top 5 pick from another team.

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

5-10 months from now it'll look good. It looked good 5-10 seconds after I read it. We weren't keeping Bo, he was a UFA at season's end. We got futures, and a guy that can be off the books after next season. A mid 1st round pick (with the potential to be a lottery pick next year) and Raty for our 9th overall pick 10 years ago is a good return imo.

I think if we waited to the final week to TDL we could have maybe gotten another pick like a 2nd rounder maybe. But we would have risked injury and maybe won a couple more games.

I agree.

I like the trade for us.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Completely beyond me.  There's two ways that make this even remotely palatable.  First, they circle back to Bo in the summer (if he doesn't re-sign) and two, miller is next.  The thought of watching this toxic pos for the next 7 years is sickening

Pivotal franchise altering mistake of signing Miller first.  Kinda Reminds me of when they thought Jim Sandlak made Neely expendable.  Not to that extent but a mistake nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Calling Bo a 60 goal scoring center is just flat out wrong. If you’re underwhelmed because you think we’re trading a goal scorer of that calibre, then no return we could have possibly got would satisfy you.

I understand being upset with the trade as Bo has been a warrior for us over the years , but lets try to be realistic with what this trade really is. 

He spent most of the season scoring at a 60G clip, has quieted down as our season has taken a nose-dive. I'm not upset or fussed at all about losing Bo, he means nothing to me but he is the highest value player we've had to trade in a long time and if this is the biggest bundle we can get, it's a shame.

I know people will say that other teams didn't give great offers etc. but at the end of the day it's the GM's job to hype up their assets and players and get the most value for them. Whether we could have gotten more value by letting other teams talk contract with Bo, or waited for a better time, or heck just been a bit better at haggling, we'll never know.

The value coming back isn't horrendous but Beauvillier is a cap dump (dare I say negative value? 4.1M for a 30pt winger), then we get a mid-round 1st (hopefully) and a former 2nd round pick who has arguably played up to a late 1st round pick. So basically, two mid to late firsts and a cap dump for Bo.

Just got a feeling with better management we could have gotten a bit more but oh well...

Still have a lot, if not more, holes in our team now we need sorting out but the D is the main one.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

99 pts in a season will do that 

I don't blame management picking Miller over Horvat last season the Miller and Horvat camps were split pretty even. 

So it's not like it's managements fault for basically flipping a coin to decide. 

I 100% blame management for not doing their due diligence on this team and being bamboozled by an outlier year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

I think we are all hoping for just that scenario. This year's first round is stacked. I'm reading rankings stating 6-15 ish is gonna be a toss up.

No I wish they get top 12 pick so next year it will be un protected. Don't think the Isles are going anywhere next year anyways. Good chance they are worse. 

15 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I never had in my consideration us trading Bo to a team that wouldn’t even make the playoffs. Yet somehow that’s entirely possible.

We knew Bo’s camp didn’t like our latest offer and he wanted to test the market. And he’s earned that right. But if he ended up in say Boston I could see him resigning and being a core piece there for years without ever getting to free agency. Now we secured some assets and have swung the pendulum more likely in the direction of Bo becoming a UFA     and ending up in Boston, anyway.      Unless the islanders tear it up over the rest of the season which certainly could still happen.