The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Pierre-Luc Dubois has requested a trade

I can see Chicago doing this. They have the Draft Picks and if Winnipeg is looking to rebuild. It might be a good fit.

Imagine Dubois and Berdard as your Top 2 centers. 

Of course my understanding is that Winnipeg won't rebuild but they could always flip those picks they get from Chicago for a player. 

Seattle might be a good partner too Berniers + Dubois would be good.

Edited by iinatcc

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The permanent problem of Winnipeg.  Unless you're from there that's the last place people want to spend their careers in.

As with any business you will carry a reputation, good or bad.  And judging by media perceptions (take it with a grain of salt, of course), Vancouver's reputation is pretty poor right now 

You are kidding of course. Media perception? WTF cares? 

Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world to live. Who gives a crap about the media? 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

You should be allowed to sign as many guys as you want as long as the roster is cap compliant on any given game.

Instead of fans grumbling about veteran so and so making too much it would be kind of exciting to see them get into the odd game and make something happen.

It would be just like soccer. Man City or whoever just signs all the best players from their opposition and then sits them on the bench for the year.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a really good point that I forgot about.  According to CapFriendly, he would still be an RFA if he sits out the current year...

What is an unrestricted free agent (UFA)?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. Any player who meets the following requirements becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA):

Is 27 years of age on June 30 of the contract expiry year

Has seven (7) Accrued Seasons where an Accrued Season is earned when the player was on the clubs active roster for 40 Regular Season games (30 if the player is a goaltender). Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury.

Meets the requirements for Group 6 UFA Status (See below)

An unrestricted free agent is eligible to sign a contract with any club as of noon ET on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract

He could play one game then sit out? 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He could play one game then sit out? 

CapFriendly says the minimum is 40 regular season games.  PLD will be 26 next summer so doesn't meet the age requirement.  He currently has 6 accrued seasons, so if he sits out the year, he won't meet the 7 accrued seasons requirement either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

You are kidding of course. Media perception? WTF cares? 

Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world to live. Who gives a crap about the media? 

No doubt it's nice to live here.  But that's probably if you're middle class and not making millions of dollars playing sports.  These guys have as much money to basically live however they want to.  Which means they'd probably rather play somewhere in the United States.  Vegas.  California.  The Tri-State area.  Florida.  Even Texas.  Vancouver's a nice place for families to settle down, not for dudes in their 20s to fool around.  Just look at the lifestyles of younger players and see if that matches up with what Vancouverites do.

In any case, you're taking my point in an entirely irrelevant direction.  I'm talking about the club's reputation, not the city.  And that reputation has battered and beaten over the last few years.  If I'm a player concerned with a winning culture that treats/develops its players well, Vancouver isn't up there.  Winnipeg is definitely low on that list as well.

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he wants to go to Montreal, he’s not signing here for 8 years. Value wise youre proposal is fine. However, it is moot as it is common knowledge he wants to be a Hab. 

But careerwise is it great to join the Canucks.

Where can he be a 2nd C and get as good wingers as here with almost sheltered minutes?
Petey and him have a lot good going if so with Kuz, Mikh, Miller, Beau, Boeser, Garland, Hogz, Podz and next year Lekkerimäki.

• Cheers 1

Guy seen what Horvat got in a contract year from the team that traded for him and he wants a piece of that pie. Lol. The worst kept secret is Dubois wants to test free agency. It's clear he is chasing the bag, yet some want us to target this guy? For what? Let some other team over pay for him in assets and cap. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Wouldn't touch Dubois with a 10 feet pole - even if he was a 90 point player which he isn't. Toxic. Any team that has gotten him is put in a bad spot, that speaks for itself. If he thinks he can dictate which 1 team out of the 32 he will play for while being a RFA, I'd like to see that play out. It'd be good if he goes to Montreal, to me that team is set up for failure for the next 5 years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Wouldn't touch Dubois with a 10 feet pole - even if he was a 90 point player which he isn't. Toxic. Any team that has gotten him is put in a bad spot, that speaks for itself. If he thinks he can dictate which 1 team out of the 32 he will play for while being a RFA, I'd like to see that play out. It'd be good if he goes to Montreal, to me that team is set up for failure for the next 5 years. 

To me Dubois is following the Horfat playbook to get his biggest possible contract. He’s just allowing his representatives to float rumours. A club will overpay in trade to get Dubois. And then that same club will grossly overpay to keep to justify the high cost to acquire him. Just like Horvat. 

• Vintage 1

Dude made one statement about wanting to play for his hometown team and doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg.

This does not equate to I want to only play for Montreal.

Connor Bedard has made more statement s about wanting to play in Vancouver than PLD has about playing in Montreal but we don’t all assume he will only be willing to play here.
Really good player, really good age and great match as a C to pair with EP.  Worth a phone call.  

• Cheers 1

Stay away. Any player has a right to his UFA years, to demand the ability to choose your preferred team before your UFA rights come up, simply flies in the face of the CBA agreed to between the league and the players union. And imho agent should be ashamed for leaking this, sure it applies pressure for Winnipeg to move him now, but ties their hands if every team knows PLD only wants Montreal. And Montreal can just sit there knowing in the end Winnipeg has to accept whatever they get for assets back....

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Pierre-Luc Dubois

Brenden Dillon

2023 18OA

To Winnipeg:

JT Miller

Conor Garland

2023 11OA

Sign PLD to an 8.5x8 contract extension...

The only issue is that Miller is a better overall player than Dubois.

Also, I think he really wants to be in Montreal. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The only issue is that Miller is a better overall player than Dubois.

Also, I think he really wants to be in Montreal. 

At the moment

PLD is trending basically the same just much younger and better timeline

a Miller PLD swap would be good for both teams but i get the feeling if the jets lose PLD and cant find a replacement they will unload a few players and do a rangers style rebuild

• There it is 2

16 minutes ago, Wanless said:

At the moment

a Miller PLD swap would be good for both teams but i get the feeling if the jets lose PLD and cant find a replacement they will unload a few players and do a rangers style rebuild

They can’t do a “rangers style” rebuild. The rangers rebuild was expedited by a bunch of players only wanting to sign in New York, plus Gary gifting them multiple lottery wins.

Winnipeg is the opposite, nobody is falling over themselves to sign there. If they plan on rebuilding they have to be 100% sure about it, and do it both deliberately and organically.

18 minutes ago, Wanless said:

At the moment

There is also more to scoring in the game.  JTM is the better scorer.  PLD is a more physical goal scoring true centre.

Would absolutely take a JTM for PLD deal.

• elephant 1

44 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Stay away. Any player has a right to his UFA years, to demand the ability to choose your preferred team before your UFA rights come up, simply flies in the face of the CBA agreed to between the league and the players union. And imho agent should be ashamed for leaking this, sure it applies pressure for Winnipeg to move him now, but ties their hands if every team knows PLD only wants Montreal. And Montreal can just sit there knowing in the end Winnipeg has to accept whatever they get for assets back....

The Montreal thing is WAY overblown.  PLD has publicly stated that it was way overblown.

His agent was asked a leading question about him playing in his home province and basically said “sure, that is an option he could see himself playing in”

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2389295/amp

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

The Montreal thing is WAY overblown.  PLD has publicly stated that it was way overblown.

His agent was asked a leading question about him playing in his home province and basically said “sure, that is an option he could see himself playing in”

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2389295/amp

Simple process. Canucks ask for permission to talk to PLD's agent. They ask if he is willing to extend to play in Vancouver. If yes the talks begin. No extension then no trade. A deal with JTM and PLD as the center pieces makes some sense. My hope is that Allvin and Maurice are on good terms and that a phone call would tell him whether PLD was a problem child or not. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2