The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Claim Reid Boucher Off Waivers

Bur14Kes17

If WD isn't happy with Megna, and Rodin is still fighting injury and conditioning...then try Boucher with the Sedins...he seems to be a sniper.

However, it seems that Boucher's defensive game needs work, which the forward playing with the Sedins needs to have a good defensive game.

This is why Megna is with the Sedins.

Maybe he will be a depth guy until someone gets injuried ...similar to Pedan.

Switching out 4th liners won't do anything because the 4th liners are doing their job with minimal ice time.

42 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

They aren't claiming him with the mindset of having him for help in Utica. It's clear he won't pass waivers as he's been claimed a few times and someone like Megna (who hasn't been working with the Sedins and doesn't have a fit elsewhere really) could get through without much issue. If we wanted him for Utica we would have tried to trade a marginal piece for him after he cleared.

We'll see.  My money is on him heading to Utica well before the season is over.  If he gets claimed then so be it.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

15 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Looking at the roster it appears nobody needs to be moved to make room until someone returns from injury. https://www.nhl.com/canucks/roster

Hansen to IR solves it short term, not sure if that's their solution or we put someone on waivers right away as well. Megna is the most likely candidate there, with Chaput doing well at center and Skille replacing some of Dorsett's play. I still don't think Gaunce being waiver exempt makes him the easy choice.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Based on what again?

Ohhhh you're looking at stats

So computer screens and opinions.  Gotcha

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=76290

Ya, pretty terrible for a 22 year old 4th line player.  When you only look at computer screens

He's not on the other three lines for a reason 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure but remember BG was a 1st round pick... he's pretty hard to notice a lot of nights too so I suspect thats the issue here. Anyway its a free player to try out. 

Agreed, BG has been around a while and his progress was expected to be higher and faster than it has been. Gillis drafted this guy. BG's time is running out. This was a no loose move.

6 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Agreed, BG has been around a while and his progress was expected to be higher and faster than it has been. Gillis drafted this guy. BG's time is running out. This was a no loose move.

It was? Running out for what?

I like this pickup, goal scorer that has had some success. Solid game, great shot and offensive instincts, needs to work on skating at this level. From what I understand thats his biggest weakness.

Worth a shot, in some ways I like this more than Rattie, even though there was some chemistry with Beartschi I think Boucher has had more success in the league and is more proven as far as knowing what he is, what he can do, and what he needs to work on.

Bit of a project but theres some NHL skill there, and with our offense its always nice to add a guy who can put the puck in the net. worth a shot.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Why? Not arguing, just curious. I know nothing about Rattie. 

Skilled player , had great chemistry with Sven. Believe he was forced down depth charts by a deep blues team. On the smaller side but his skill set has high appeal and top 6 potential

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Why? Not arguing, just curious. I know nothing about Rattie. 

Meh.  I think silky is oversimplifying it with the "meat and potatoes" thing - although that is a definite plus imo.

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Boucher:

62 goal season in the OHL

63 goals in the AHL - in 168 games.

Rattie:

57 goal season in Portland.

69 goals in the AHL - in 196 games

*Boucher:

19 pts in 39 NHL games last year.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there a Cap on AHL salary?  

I am pretty sure there is no AHL salary cap. The main constraint on veteran players is that a team can play no more 6 veteran skaters in any one game. (Actually, the rule says that each team must have at least 12 skaters with 260 or fewer professional games  and one guy with 320 games or fewer (determined at the start of the season).

Therefore, roughly speaking, a veteran is a guy with more than 260 professional games at the start of the season. For most guys that is about 4 seasons of AHL or ECHL play (or in Europe) as most guys miss some games here and there.  A team can play no more than six of those guys (not counting goalies) in any one game.  So a team that signs some low-skill low-cost vets is limited in what it can do. Most AHL teams have two or three vets earning 200K or more while the prospects are all under 100K. Not sure about the Utica salary structure but it looks like it is probably on the low side given the absence of high-profile AHL vets, although Pelletier was recently added.

3 hours ago, Type R said:

But then he has to clear, which means NJ will pick him back up.  So they sent him down, was snagged by NSH, who then did the same, so NJ got back, tried to send him down again, and then Vancouver grabbed him.

exactly

he will stay in the nhl this season now

the waiver system is working for him unlike how it worked against corrado

1 minute ago, aqua59 said:

To play better than he is.

He's not playing poorly. In fact, given his role, ice time, line mates and usage, he's actually playing pretty well. Especially for a rookie. 

But sure, there's always room for improvement ;)

55 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

He's not on the other three lines for a reason 

Hmmm I wonder if that could be because of depth currently available.  It could also be because of Willie D.  Maybe it's because he's the ONLY C/LW with size in the bottom 6.  Oh wait, wait wait.  It might even be because Manny Malhotra has all but taken him completely under his wing to show him what it takes to be that elite player in the bottom 6 and through a factor of all of the above he has nowhere else to be and has no expectations on him to be anything other than just that

But hey...facts don't mean as much as opinions right?

Archived