The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess I don't see much choice.... I'd have to run the math, but whats the lowest # minutes Dermott-Myers could be put out there, 17-18? 

I guess it depends on which F group is on the ice at the same time as them, if its a highly defensive shift maybe a F can come back to help.

I'm grasping. 

Takes some serious bench coaching to make sure a Dermott - Myers pair gets on the ice (5 on 5) in the right situations.  With OEL - Hughes it would be easy coaching.  Just tap them on the lid against anyone. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Takes some serious bench coaching to make sure a Dermott - Myers pair gets on the ice (5 on 5) in the right situations.  With OEL - Hughes it would be easy coaching.  Just tap them on the lid against anyone. 

not seeing any preseason games I have to think D-M is going to get a long look. But yeah, its going to take some juggling. 

Maybe we see some significant shifts between home and road games for the pairings too. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s going to be interesting to see if Hughes moves to the right side and possibly pairs with OEL. I’d imagine that pairing could draw a lot of the tougher matchups, taking some pressure off of Myers (and whoever he’s paired with).

Last season, Hughes was already getting a fair portion of the matchup duties, with an overall quality of competition that was pretty similar (albeit slightly less) to Myers. And it might surprise some people to learn than Hughes actually played more minutes than any other Canucks Dman against several of the league’s truly elite players (including McDavid and MacKinnon).

Hughes’s viability as a matchup option and the resulting overall deployment shift seems to have flown under the radar with many people. There are still a lot of Canucks fans who think Hughes plays “sheltered” minutes and is only trusted by the coaches in an offensive role. And that Myers (and OEL) gets tasked with the vast majority of the shutdown duties and is forced to eat all the toughest minutes and top matchups. This simply wasn’t the case last season. Myers certainly played a lot of tough minutes and was used in a matchup role. But so was Hughes. And the overall difference (QualComp, shiftcharts, etc) wasn’t all that significant. While there’s no questioning Myers and OEL (to their credit) played the “toughest” overall minutes on the D, the data also shows quite clearly, albeit somewhat surprisingly, that Hughes really wasn’t all that far behind either of them.

If Hughes continues to develop and grow his overall game and move toward a true #1 role (eating 25+ minutes a night, taking a larger share of the toughest matchups, playing both PK and PP, etc), it might actually allow Myers (and his partner) to play a bit of a reduced role with some slightly easier deployment.

Fans who think this simply weren't watching the team closely in the second half of the season. Hughes became our best PK defenseman in the latter half of the year and I'm excited to see him continue his development in that way.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, JM_ said:

I guess I don't see much choice.... I'd have to run the math, but whats the lowest # minutes Dermott-Myers could be put out there, 17-18? 

I guess it depends on which F group is on the ice at the same time as them, if its a highly defensive shift maybe a F can come back to help.

I'm grasping. 

The second pairing D men will get more then 17 minutes.. Myers on second unit and PK he will log at least 21--23 minutes minimum..

His partner would log at least 19 --21 minutes

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Canucks D Myers out two to four weeks

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Tyler Myers will miss two to four weeks with a lower body injury, head coach Bruce Boudreau announced on Friday.

TSN.ca StafTyler Myers

•  

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Tyler Myers will miss two to four weeks with a lower body injury, head coach Bruce Boudreau announced on Friday.

The 32-year-old play on a defensive pairing with Kyle Burroughs in the Canucks' 5-4 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday but did not participate in practice on Thursday or Friday.
Myers played 82 games with the Canucks last season, recording one goal and 17 assists. In three seasons with Vancouver, the Houston, Texas native has 13 goals and 47 assists in 205 games.

Claim Kovacevic off waivers.......do it now......

Vancouver really missed Myers and his 21-23 mins last night.. Myers alone on PK never mind long reach on regular shift.

Guess Myers is out for another month so  9 -- 11 games..

Myers gets a lot of negative response but Myers is a real # 3 D man. Always playing against other teams best players on shut down role.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Everyone wanting to trade Myers and we can now see what this team would be like without him. He's by far our best RD, after him we just have a bunch of bottom pairing/AHL guys. If you look at the team, RD is the one place we're thinnest so I'd say Myers' injury may be the most important to the team. We lose a top-6 center and no problem - we've got 3 who can cycle in there. Lose Hughes and OEL can step up. Lose Demko and dare I say Martin can play some games.

But we lose Myers and we're an absolute mess on the PK and defensively. We got shredded against Edmonton and I'd like to think if Myers is in there on the PK, we at least stop one or two goals against and win the game.

Never have understood the hate Myers gets but I think it all comes from the cap hits of these players, and right now 6M would be a steal for a top-4 RD who can defend decently. He makes the odd dumb defensive play but does far more good than bad, and this is a little taster of what life would be life without him - and it's not good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Everyone wanting to trade Myers and we can now see what this team would be like without him. He's by far our best RD, after him we just have a bunch of bottom pairing/AHL guys. If you look at the team, RD is the one place we're thinnest so I'd say Myers' injury may be the most important to the team. We lose a top-6 center and no problem - we've got 3 who can cycle in there. Lose Hughes and OEL can step up. Lose Demko and dare I say Martin can play some games.

But we lose Myers and we're an absolute mess on the PK and defensively. We got shredded against Edmonton and I'd like to think if Myers is in there on the PK, we at least stop one or two goals against and win the game.

Never have understood the hate Myers gets but I think it all comes from the cap hits of these players, and right now 6M would be a steal for a top-4 RD who can defend decently. He makes the odd dumb defensive play but does far more good than bad, and this is a little taster of what life would be life without him - and it's not good.

Chaos giraffe is awesome if used properly. I agree! He is under rated by a lot of us fans. He brings some size and grit that we desperately need! Cheers 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Fantastic post, Myers is very valuable RD man plays 20--24 minutes against other teams top line...

Myers solid # 3 D man

Hughes - Very talented #1 D man - Top 15 in league

OEL #2-- Very talented playing different role on team with Hughes, points dropped not much PP time and played shut down role..

Hughes #1 -- OEL #2 --- Myers #3 ---( Poolman #4 -#5 ) Dermott #5 - Schenn #5 -- Stillman #6-- #6 Burroughs #6 - Rathbone #6

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Agreed hopefully some of the detractors around these parts will appreciate his value to the team

I agree Myers doesn't get enough respect in Vancouver..Big body 6'7 RD plays 20--25 mins and plays against other teams best players.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Hughes  Tanev

OEL      Myers

Dermott   Schenn

Stillman  Burroughs

What a difference still having Tanev would have made.

Thx JB.

You need to stop living in the past. We've got what we've got. If there's "good news" with Poolman's injury - if he is done - then there may be room to recoup a RD defenceman.