The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Puljujarvi to play in Finland until he is traded

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The AHL might not happen, even if he stayed with the Oilers.  JP is waiver eligible now.  I’m pretty sure a team would claim him if the Oilers tried to send him down.  

Last year he was still waiver free but was upset to be sent to Bakersfield.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its also wasn't under Hollands watch when it went off the rails. He should try to get something for him but may not be inclined to sell him cheap, and nothing gets done. It may just be that Edmonton gets nothing out of their 2016 4th oa.

I guess JP could play in the KHL for 4 years - would he be a UFA at that point? 

In 5 years.  His first partial season didn't start the clock towards UFA as he didn't reach the 40 games.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Last year he was still waiver free but was upset to be sent to Bakersfield.

True.  He definitely needed to work on his play without the puck.  But from now on he needs to clear waivers.  Any team trading for him knows this.  His value is a young player in a similar circumstance, like Goldobin. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  He definitely needed to work on his play without the puck.  But from now on he needs to clear waivers.  Any team trading for him knows this.  His value is a young player in a similar circumstance, like Goldobin. 

thats probably true. Goldy is a better producer than many of the other failure to launch RFA Fs out there like Ho-Sang (https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/forwards/rfa). 27 points actually puts him in a "2nd tier" of these guys. 

Problem is the 'pedigree' bs of JP being a 4th oa. Edmonton is going to want a pick or player back along with Goldy. Who would you be willing to give up in addition to Goldy to make it happen? Not sure I want to give the Coilers anyone.

Maybe a conditional pick. That Ducks 7th turns into a 3rd if JP scores 15 goals, something like that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats probably true. Goldy is a better producer than many of the other failure to launch RFA Fs out there like Ho-Sang (https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/forwards/rfa). 27 points actually puts him in a "2nd tier" of these guys. 

Problem is the 'pedigree' bs of JP being a 4th oa. Edmonton is going to want a pick or player back along with Goldy. Who would you be willing to give up in addition to Goldy to make it happen? Not sure I want to give the Coilers anyone.

Maybe a conditional pick. That Ducks 7th turns into a 3rd if JP scores 15 goals, something like that. 

That sounds like a fair, and safe, trade.  Then if JP fails here, we put him on waivers and haven’t lost (really) anything.  

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At this point he’d cost too much and we can’t afford to gamble away good prospects like Madden or Lind (Just a guess at who the Oilers would be asking for).

I wonder if they’d be interested in a guy like Baertschi or Goldobin

Edited by mpt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

At this point he’d cost too much and we can’t afford to gamble away good prospects like Madden or Lind (Just a guess at who the Oilers would be asking for).

Madden no but I would do a Lind for Pool Party trade in a heartbeat.  Lind has not impressed, doesn't look to have top 6 upside and we have lots of bottom 6 forwards ahead of him.  Pool Party is a gamble but it's still possible he can be a top 6 player.  If not, he's a big body that could play on the 3rd line if he can learn to defend.  Pool Party has much better numbers than Lind in the AHL, his first year as an 18 year old he was almost at a point a game.  

We have a logjam of forwards. Not sure how people expect us to fit in Pool party. He needs top 6 looks. Or at least 3rd line. Boeser and Jake should have 2 of the top 9 RW spots. Miller should have another. Or do we run Miller, Ferland, Pearson, Baer on the LW? Where does that eventually leave Roussel? No room for him here unless they take one of Baer or Pearson. Which honestly I’d rather not do them any favours by giving them quality wingers.

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

Goldobin for Puljujarvi is very reasonable. Maybe the Canucks add a 3rd.

Only if he agrees to stay in Finland this season.  He's not good enough to replace any of the other forwards.  Not sure how that works though.  Does he have to be signed? Or maybe he's still an rfa so the Nucks would have his rights.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, Provost said:

The money doesn't work out, but Baertschi for him would be a reasonable deal.  Baertschi is what he is at this point and is a 3rd liner who can play on the 2nd line in a pinch.  He is a bit of a tweener who has some injury worries, but on a decent contract for his production.

Puljujarvi hasn't even slightly put it together but has some upside by virtue of Edmonton having a long history of mismanaging players who are really pretty good.

Edmonton gets a more productive winger, which they need badly and who likely puts up 40-50 points if put beside either of their elite centres.  We get a project who has a chance to have a much higher ceiling.

Not a bad proposal. Pulljarvi and a draft pick (3rd?) for Baertschi