The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh God, anyone have any Tums?  That's gonna be top level weirdness.

I wish Markstrom well. Assuming he does go to the Flames, then this move will be good for him as I've heard that he wants to play closer to home...

regards,  G.

5 x NHL All-Star

First All-Star Team (2016)

Vezina Trophy (2016)

Jennings Trophy (2017)

Stanley Cup (2018)

Similar to the Miller signing. Basically a safety net for Demko with no pressure to take the reigns immediately. He'll have another one to two years to develop with a solid 1B option.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Did we need holtby at 4.3m?

Could Demko have been the starter this year with a lower cap hit backup who is a clear backup? 

This is a perfect deal both in term and in amount.

It clears the path for Demko to become the #1 in Vancouver.

Edited by Me_

Great move by JB! This totally makes sense because if they had signed Marky for the max, NMC, and long term deal he is looking for, then Demko would be exposed to Seattle. Seattle would certainly take him due to his massive potential and young age. Demko is the future of the Canucks in goal and now he has two years with Holtby to learn from who is a proven champion. The Canucks also have to consider Quinn and Pettersson's contracts coming up which will command a lot of the budget.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Braden Holtby to a two-year contract worth an average annual value of $4.3 million. 

"We are pleased to add Braden, an experienced and established goaltender, to our roster," said Benning. "Braden is a Stanley Cup champion, brings leadership and has demonstrated the ability to rise to the occasion in big games. He will be an important part of our team." 

Holtby, 31, appeared in 48 games with the Washington Capitals in 2019.20, posting a record of 25-14-6 and goals against average of 3.11. Over the course of his 10-year career, he has registered 35 shutouts, a record of 282-122-46 and a goals-against average of 2.54. Holtby also tied the league record for most wins in a single season (48) and won the Vezina in 2015.16 as well as the William M. Jennings Trophy in 2016.17. 

The Lloydminster, Saskatchewan native has also played in 97 playoff games, going 50-46 with a save percentage of .926 and seven shutouts. In the 2019.20 postseason, Holtby posted a 2-5 record and a 2.49 goals-against average. In 2018, Holtby backstopped the Capitals en route to their first Stanley Cup Championship.

Holtby, a five-time NHL All-Star, also represented team Canada at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, winning gold.

The 6'2", 214-pound goalkeeper was originally selected by the Washington Capitals in the fourth round, 93rd overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Huh?

Post season he was our best defenceman, apart from Hughes

(Although it must be admitted he was head and shoulders below every other d-man except for Hughes)

He had a solid playoffs - but I'm just not a fan.

12 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

This is a solid deal. Bridge contract and has a wealth of experience. Good mentor to Demko. The term is not that bad. Good luck to Braden here in Vancity!

And in addition to coverage for the expansion draft, 2 years could be the exact timeframe needed to have MikeyD ready to come in as backup.

Concerned with his save % from last season and would have liked 3.5 million or less for any Markstrom replacement but I wouldn’t be surprised if Holtby bounces back and I have more faith in Demko than the average.  Overall I’m pretty happy with the deal but wouldn’t have minded saving more cap for other areas.  

i hope Markstrom gets a ton of money for 3 reasons 

1-feel better about holtby deal

2- I really like the guy

3- ties up cap space of potential rival 

Last night they were trying to get a deal done with Marky but it didn't happen.

Benning had to make a deal. I like it. I had goalie then D then winger or center as priorities.

Now that the Goalie situation has been dealt with, we can focus on the D. Yes, D before we even think about Tof.