The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

Just now, Dazzle said:

Guy won a Stanley Cup, won multiple personal awards, and is more accomplished than any of our past goalies. Not anything special? Come on. You have to give credit where it's due.

His individual stats and level of play have dropped off since the Capital's 50 win season or whatever it was with the exception of the 2018 Playoffs. I think he was playing on a good team. There's a reason Washington let him go.  

1 minute ago, b3. said:

Pretty sure Washington plays or played way more open than Vancouver.

I wouldn't stress to much about that.

Washington didn't have Ian Clark as a goalie coach either.

The goalie whisperer. I guess that'll put the theory to the test. Can he take a goalie clearly trending downwards and 'getting older' and bring him back?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Vezina and Jennings winner.  Cup winner. Almost conn smythe.

Nice cheap deal, short term.  Look at what other goalies will be getting today.  Look at Price.  Quick.  Bobrovsky etc.  A whole lot of wasted money in netminding for a lot of teams

Yep.

I'm in the mindset that the G position should be no more than 7M (for starter and backup). 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

hopefully we can now see a d upgrade and maybe swing back for Toffoli 

Now just $8 million room, per capfriendly,  but with 6 QA's to fill.  Say 5 of them at +/- $1 mill, plus Jake at whatever.

Even consigning LE and SB to Utica won't create enough room even to sign Tanev, let alone upgrade plus Toffee

• -SN- pinned this topic

This gives Demko the ability to secure himself as our guy for the next 6-8 years and Holtby is the perfect insurance policy before he goes to Seattle.  JB, I have to say you made the perfect move in G.  Looking for our next two year contracts on a RW and RD.  I sense Granlund and Barrie will be next on those shorter contracts.

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

?????????? Guy vegas was willing to give up picks to offload MAF at 50% retained

That's just a rumour. It doesn't mean it's true. If you believe every rumour you hear I have some marshland to sell you.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Guy won a Stanley Cup, won multiple personal awards, and is more accomplished than any of our past goalies, including Ryan Miller. Not anything special? Come on. You have to give credit where it's due.

I think he means NOW. Not the past. Holtby hasn't had a season worthy of a #1 since 2016/17 season. To me, it looks like overpayment too.

• Cheers 1