The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

Calgary needs to make changes after a very bad season for a team that should have been a competitor. 

Schmidt (allegedly) wants out, so slightly a joke, but also...

To Cal: 

- Schmidt 

To Van: 

- Tanev (Calgary retains 500k - 1mil) 

- 2021 (or 2022) 4th round pick

Calgary gets an overall better two way, slightly younger Dman. Canucks get a defensive top 4 RD (who I have a feeling would be willing to waive that NTC ;)) and we move out Schmidt who feels this hasn't been a good fit.  

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Calgary needs to make changes after a very bad season for a team that should have been a competitor. 

Schmidt (allegedly) wants out, so slightly a joke, but also...

To Cal: 

- Schmidt 

To Van: 

- Tanev (Calgary retains 500k - 1mil) 

- 2021 (or 2022) 4th round pick

Calgary gets an overall better two way, slightly younger Dman. Canucks get a defensive top 4 RD (who I have a feeling would be willing to waive that NTC ;)) and we move out Schmidt who feels this hasn't been a good fit.  

Would love this trade, but as you somewhat implied, it's weighed in our favour. At least for this past year, Tanev was better than Schmidt, although he's slightly more expensive. Remove the pick and retain only 500k and maybe if we're lucky, they say yes, but I'd doubt it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's usually a pretty straight shooter, this makes sense to me. Probably little more than media sensationalism. 

That being said, just because he hasn't asked to be moved doesn't mean there haven't been conversations regarding him being moved, or that he might not be exposed to the expansion draft, though I figure that's unlikely. 

If Benning and co aren't taking calls on every one of our players they aren't doing their jobs properly, simple as that. 

• Cheers 4

Shame the media has painted such a great personality guy with this brush of wanting to leave. 

For Schmidt though, he has to be better, sharper and quicker, and hopefully a proper off-season will get him back to playing the way he has in Washington and Vegas. He has been a fantastic shutdown top pairing defenceman for years, it'd be nice if he could rekindle that to play alongside Juolevi or Rathbone.

Understated, but I think with Edler maybe leaving, a big chunk of our success rests of how Schmidt plays. Myers, Hughes and Hamonic are pretty standard - you know what you're getting - but Schmidt could ruin this team if he plays sloppy like last season, or bring it up to a tough, solid defence if he plays well.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Shame the media has painted such a great personality guy with this brush of wanting to leave. 

For Schmidt though, he has to be better, sharper and quicker, and hopefully a proper off-season will get him back to playing the way he has in Washington and Vegas. He has been a fantastic shutdown top pairing defenceman for years, it'd be nice if he could rekindle that to play alongside Juolevi or Rathbone.

Understated, but I think with Edler maybe leaving, a big chunk of our success rests of how Schmidt plays. Myers, Hughes and Hamonic are pretty standard - you know what you're getting - but Schmidt could ruin this team if he plays sloppy like last season, or bring it up to a tough, solid defence if he plays well.

I think Schmidt will be traded, and it will be a 1 for 1 deal.  The guy coming back (I have no idea who) will be bigger, right shot, more stay at home.  He won’t be a shiny new toy kind of player.  Just a solid, stay at home guy.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think that if Schmidt gets moved it will be because of cap space. Not because he wants out. 

The more I look at the cap the more I think this is what's up. If Jim can find a couple of defensive D for around 3 mil a piece. Then Schmidt's cap pays for depth.

If they can clear space in another way then he stays.

Or if they can find a young D man who has a year of elc left . Land a player who a team can't protect for a 3rd round pick.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Schmidt will be traded, and it will be a 1 for 1 deal.  The guy coming back (I have no idea who) will be bigger, right shot, more stay at home.  He won’t be a shiny new toy kind of player.  Just a solid, stay at home guy.  

If there's any chance we can upgrade to Brodin or Slavin, we have to go for it (add a pick etc). Of course a righty would be ideal...

I really think Schmidt is a valued asset and we shouldn't sell low.  I think he should be given a chance to take Edler's spot on the left side.  Rathbone and OJ are not ready to take top 4 minutes.  We also need at least 8 nhl dmen for injuries so 4 LHD is fine.  He is too versatile and team oriented and good to let go. I think the talk of him wanting out is overblown.  Green needs to make it clear he will be used differently.  

Hughes Larson/Hamonic/Savard

Schmidt Hakanpaa/Ceci

OJ Myers

Rathbone Bowey

I think this would be a very strong group and would allow Schmidt to be Schmidt.  I love Edler, but I thought he looked very slow last season and his decision making has declined.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I really think Schmidt is a valued asset and we shouldn't sell low.  I think he should be given a chance to take Edler's spot on the left side.  Rathbone and OJ are not ready to take top 4 minutes.  We also need at least 8 nhl dmen for injuries so 4 LHD is fine.  He is too versatile and team oriented and good to let go. I think the talk of him wanting out is overblown.  Green needs to make it clear he will be used differently.  

Hughes Larson/Hamonic/Savard

Schmidt Hakanpaa/Ceci

OJ Myers

Rathbone Bowey

I think this would be a very strong group and would allow Schmidt to be Schmidt.  I love Edler, but I thought he looked very slow last season and his decision making has declined.

Sadly I don't think we can afford that defense, best case cap hits are:

Hughes 6, Larsson 4.5

Schmidt 6, Hak 2.5

OJ 1, Myers 6

Rathbone 0.9, Bowey 0.7

TOTAL D cap hit = 27.6m

If Schmidt truly wants to move on (and I don't believe he does) then I think a trade with Florida Panthers could be good for both teams:

To FLA: Schmidt

To VAN: Gudas

FLA get a decent long term guy to pair with Forsling on their second pairing (with Weegar + Ekblad as their 1st pair)

VAN get a strong 3rd pairing RHD. Gives us the cap space to sign UFA Larsson and a cheap LD like Forbort:

Hughes Larsson

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi Gudas

(Forbort Bowey)

• Upvote 1

My 2 cents.....

Schmidt and Edler were not a good fit due to their playing styles.  Nate is a "skate it out of the zone" transitioner, while Alex is a "pass first" zone exiter.   As was Tanev, which is what made that pairing so effective.  And even prior, when Stecher had his season with Edler, he was  new to the NHL so was a passer, rather than the skater he subsequently became. 

McNabb, Nate's Vegas partner, was also a skater first, passer second, which is what made that pairing work.  

So I don't think Schmidt is the ideal partner for Juolevi, who is also a pass firster (although he can, and does, from time to time skate it out of the zone).  I'm not sure, either, if Myers is the ideal partner for Juolevi, although the did seem to gell when OJ got his limited ice time 

But getting back to Schmidt, the obvious pairing is with Rathbone.   He (Nate) isn't physical enough to pair with Hughes, but Rathbone doesn't need so much protection.  I dont recall how much Myers played with Hughes, but their playing styles are similar - both can skate it out, and their passes connect about 33% of the time (with Hughes, another 33% are icings, and with Myers, his second 33% are to the opposition).  And Myers can be physical, as referees will attest to.

If only Hughes could play right D .............

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Sadly I don't think we can afford that defense, best case cap hits are:

Hughes 6, Larsson 4.5

Schmidt 6, Hak 2.5

OJ 1, Myers 6

Rathbone 0.9, Bowey 0.7

TOTAL D cap hit = 27.6m

That's why I put options and I don't think Hak will get 2.5.  

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

That's why I put options and I don't think Hak will get 2.5.  

Maybe not, but if you read any other team forums they all say they are signing Haakanpaa for cheap. His price will go up due to demand, no doubt.