The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Making the product on the ice and on the TV worse for a few coins is a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, imo.

Easy to say when you're not the one paying for either. I'd say they'd be happy to have anything that helps stop/slow down the bleeding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry but how do players playing in arenas with no fans and stringent testing pose more of a risk than any other business, workplace, or institution that’s currently allowed to operate?

Its a no brainer to any politician not playing politics. Sports are good for mental well being and a feeling of normalcy for a lot of people. This should have been decided months ago.

It’s wearing on me big time. When my rec league stopped I was super bummed . Now I see things like this about the Canadian teams and it’s just awful. What’s next

• Cheers 4

Plan B seems to be the NHL's work around, due to difficulties in Canada from province to province quarantine, if necessary all teams would play in the USA if no agreement is reached here in Canada..

(never thought as a Canadian hockey fan I'd see this, ever)

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-canucks-might-play-the-2020-21-season-in-the-us-3195014

Edited by iceman64
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This season ought to just be cancelled. The players will not do a season in a bubble. Things are not going to be better for months. It takes time for folks to be vaccinated and it’s been made clear that the NHL will not be jumping the queue.... 

With an extension to the US TV deal, the NHL can't afford not to have a season. The amount they could lose on the upcoming deal could be monstrous if they cancel this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

If there's no fans in the arenas, why does it matter where the games are played? The Raptors are playing in Tampa Bay. Frankly it makes sense to consolidate all the teams in one country. 

Players are going to have serious objections about being uprooted from their families on this short notice.  You wanna be the one who tells Horvat he can't see his wife and baby all season long?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry but how do players playing in arenas with no fans and stringent testing pose more of a risk than any other business, workplace, or institution that’s currently allowed to operate?

Its a no brainer to any politician not playing politics. Sports are good for mental well being and a feeling of normalcy for a lot of people. This should have been decided months ago.

Friedman on Kfan yesterday says the issue is that they don't want teams travelling across the country.  Other workplaces stay put.