The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah that sounds like a good option (if I'm not mistaken, it has already been done in a few areas in the city already).

I'm admittedly outside looking in on that stuff (I'm in Prince George for the time being but I have family down there). It's good to see there's at least some housing like that down there. I really think though someone just needs to get creative and come up with more options like that.

If Europe can be as innovative as they have been in the past few decades, so can we.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah that sounds like a good option (if I'm not mistaken, it has already been done in a few areas in the city already).

The problem with architects today is they have associated their profession with innovation. 

So when something is “innovated” they go on to the next thing. It always has to be newest.

Just now, Me_ said:

The problem with architects today is they have associated their profession with innovation. 

So when something is “innovated” they go on to the next thing. It always has to be newest.

Yet, it's amazing how even just slightly modifying existing innovations could potentially get more renown.

Hmm... why didn't I become an architect?...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm admittedly outside looking in on that stuff (I'm in Prince George for the time being but I have family down there). It's good to see there's at least some housing like that down there. I really think though someone just needs to get creative and come up with more options like that.

If Europe can be as innovative as they have been in the past few decades, so can we.

I thought I saw a short video on somebody actually building these "mini-houses" in BC that could be placed pretty much anywhere.  I forgot the cost but from what I remember it wasn't that much.  Granted some zoning bylaws might have to be adjusted.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I thought I saw a short video on somebody actually building these "mini-houses" in BC that could be placed pretty much anywhere.  I forgot the cost but from what I remember it wasn't that much.  Granted some zoning bylaws might have to be adjusted.

City of Abbotsford should be commended. They have recently build a few modular housing projectst to get people off the street...

Homeless-Abby-Modular-Homes-2-777x437.jp

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The US Army won't take anybody with less than an 85 IQ.  That's 15% of people and the reason is they are untrainable because they can't follow instructions.  What does that tell you?

That Trump didn't need to fake the Bone Spurs as his lack of intelligence would have disqualified him anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I will expect prices to increase as a result, as us consumers have always got that extra money to spend considering how much our wages have increased in the last 45 years.

Hey President Drumpf, this is how you do sarcasm!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, samurai said:

Okay now take the same data (population and covid deaths) for Japan and compare it Canada like you did for Sweden.   Japan's policy is very close to Sweden's.      Comparing Japan and Canada without properly studying the context and even looking at the numbers properly and using your logic you could question Canada's approach as being reckless.   Japan has 125 million people and 360 confirmed covid deaths.  

Our Swedish players would be unimpressed with your math.

So if Japan's policy is very close to Sweden's, why the huge disparity?

Must say Japan has done well, as have some other Asian countries.

Germany was doing quite well for awhile, but the last couple of weeks have seen higher numbers- for them anyway. 

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

So if Japan's policy is very close to Sweden's, why the huge disparity?

Must say Japan has done well, as have some other Asian countries.

Germany was doing quite well for awhile, but the last couple of weeks have seen higher numbers- for them anyway. 

one point made is that Sweden has large elderly homes and they were poorly managed in the beginning.  One reason for this is that like in many countries they are staffed by immigrants and one suggestion is that their Swedish was not good enough to understand the guidelines or the disease itself.  So I am saying this because Sweden does have a lot of care home deaths as part of the overall total.  And unlike many countries (e.g. France) they actually count care homes deaths in the total.   That is one reason given.  

There is a lot of complexity involved for each country.  For example in North Italy their flu season was pretty light and now experts there think that this provided a larger than usual group to succumb to the corona.  

This virus in a lot of ways reminds me of forest fires.  

24 minutes ago, samurai said:

one point made is that Sweden has large elderly homes and they were poorly managed in the beginning

B.C. has found out the danger in having part time workers in our older folks homes, they end up working part time in multiple facilities in order to earn a livable salary.

I'd say 70% of B.C's deceased have been residents in those old folk centers.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

B.C. has found out the danger in having part time workers in our older folks homes, they end up working part time in multiple facilities in order to earn a livable salary.

I'd say 70% of B.C's deceased have been residents in those old folk centers.

For sure, this new found heartfelt concern for the lives of elderly is suspect.  Elderly care workers in Japan make peanuts as well.  

• Wat 4