The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Wife went through a year of interviews, security clearances, etc. for her job. She was supposed to start on Monday. She just got laid off (if you can even call it that given she didn't even get a chance to start work) due to budget cuts. 

That is horrible!

I'm applying for jobs and there's one perfectly suited to me right now that's a fingers crossed deal.  With that, I suppose they'll get 92 billion applications so not holding my breath!

Good luck to your wife...that's really deflating.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That is horrible!

I'm applying for jobs and there's one perfectly suited to me right now that's a fingers crossed deal.  With that, I suppose they'll get 92 billion applications so not holding my breath!

Good luck to your wife...that's really deflating.

Thanks Deb. She's spent a lot of time building to this. Four years of undergrad. Another year for an Honors. Two years for an MA. 4.5 years for a PhD. It's been a long journey for her to have her dream taken away before she even got a taste. 

29 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Wife went through a year of interviews, security clearances, etc. for her job. She was supposed to start on Monday. She just got laid off (if you can even call it that given she didn't even get a chance to start work) due to budget cuts. 

Did she sign a contract?

32 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Thanks Deb. She's spent a lot of time building to this. Four years of undergrad. Another year for an Honors. Two years for an MA. 4.5 years for a PhD. It's been a long journey for her to have her dream taken away before she even got a taste. 

Her dreams aren’t taken away. The system is on pause.

Keep supporting her everyday to ease the ailment of perceived failure. 

Getting to a Ph.D is success by itself. It’ll come around.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Master Mind said:

The players and staff would be regularly tested, and contained to their hub. It's not like the players would be out and about interacting with the public.

Actually I think this is false, once the 14 day quarantine ends they are free to be out and about with the public.  

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I find that hard to believe.

Have a source stating that's the case?

The TSN 1040 interpretation was similar to what Tre Mac said.  As far as the province is concerned, once the 14 days are up they would be treated like any other citizen of BC.  And that makes sense as, after a 14 day quarantine, you're not going to be bringing anything in from outside BC

The NHL may not want that though, as having players and family out of the bubble would increase the likelyhood of someone catching it.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I find that hard to believe.

Have a source stating that's the case?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-ready-to-welcome-nhl-after-b-c-premier-announces-revised-quarantine-plan-1.5606848

They will be free to be out in public after 14 day quarantine period.  I doubt any player will be careless about exposure to the virus.  He would be putting his entire team at risk and possibly suspending the team from SC games.

Personally, I really don't care if they play in Vancouver or not.  With no fans in the bleachers, there will be no difference wherever they play. The benefit to the city won't be all that much.  Arena, hotel, transportation, security, catering; can't think of much else.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The TSN 1040 interpretation was similar to what Tre Mac said.  As far as the province is concerned, once the 14 days are up they would be treated like any other citizen of BC.  And that makes sense as, after a 14 day quarantine, you're not going to be bringing anything in from outside BC

The NHL may not want that though, as having players and family out of the bubble would increase the likelyhood of someone catching it.

I thought the intention would have been to, not only prevent spread of the virus from other places to here, but also to prevent the spread of the infection among hockey players among potentially anyone from here? I guess my question is shouldn't we also be protecting the players here?

35 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Actually I think this is false, once the 14 day quarantine ends they are free to be out and about with the public.  

Sounds like the federal government will be announcing an amendment to the 14 day quarantine in the next few days.

Would put Vancouver near the top of the NHLs list I would think.

BC schools have less than 30% of students attending.  BC university's move to only online classes.

BC Hospital have massive back logs of surgery and procedures..

Record number of people dying right now on our streets with the drug crisis going on....

Solution

Horgan thinks hockey players are an essential services and lets put our resources into hockey during the summer....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

At the very least, I would imagine the teams themselves might invoke some measures so as their own assets don't put themselves at risk.  If I'm JB, I'm requiring (or 'encouraging' if the CBA does't allow for 'require') my players to limit contact with anyone outside of their own families and/or team personnel when the season resumes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC schools have less than 30% of students attending.  BC university's move to only online classes.

Record number of people dying right now on our streets with the drug crisis going on....

Solution

Horgan thinks hockey players are an essential services and lets put our resources into hockey during the summer....

What resources is he putting in?

He wrote a letter to the commissioner and talked to Trudeau about relaxing the 14 day quarantine. 

All those things you mentioned are unrelated to hockey coming back.

This is a fight you’re not gonna win.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Solution

Can we relate this to Skittles while we're at it? I have a craving for them suddenly and I don't know why.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

At the very least, I would imagine the teams themselves might invoke some measures so as their own assets don't put themselves at risk.  If I'm JB, I'm requiring (or 'encouraging' if the CBA does't allow for 'require') my players to limit contact with anyone outside of their own families and/or team personnel when the season resumes.

Totally, but that aspect of it is on the NHL to do, not necessarily the Province.

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-ready-to-welcome-nhl-after-b-c-premier-announces-revised-quarantine-plan-1.5606848

They will be free to be out in public after 14 day quarantine period.  I doubt any player will be careless about exposure to the virus.  He would be putting his entire team at risk and possibly suspending the team from SC games.

Personally, I really don't care if they play in Vancouver or not.  With no fans in the bleachers, there will be no difference wherever they play. The benefit to the city won't be all that much.  Arena, hotel, transportation, security, catering; can't think of much else.

Thanks.

Yes I imagine the NHL or the individual teams will be setting guidelines for what the players can and can't do.

Surely no team would want its players going out and risking infection.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yes I imagine the NHL or the individual teams will be setting guidelines for what the players can and can't do.

Surely no team would want its players going out and risking infection.

Yah, i don't see hockey players and families staying in the hotel 24/7 when not at the rink.  For 2 months... yah ain't going to happen.

Hockey in the summer is just wrong on so many levels.   MIllionaire players...  and Billionaire owners just trying to get a few more dollars in their pockets....

I would prefer to see Horgan focussing on getting our health care back to normal functionning...   increasing covid testing numbers ... restaring our economy across the province...    and  preparing our schools for next Sept so the kids can be OK .     

Spending time on restarting a summer hockey tournament during a Pandemic just makes no sense.   Of course a few vancouver hotels would benefit... but this won't help most of the province. 

Horgan - how about working on this issue...

In May, the province recorded 170 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths — the highest monthly total ever recorded in B.C. It equates to about 5.5 deaths a day.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1