The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Was telling my wife, a Penguin fan (a Pittsburgh native) that the Canucks history is basically summed up like this “one step forward, two steps back.” Have a 4 game winning streak including a great effort against Winnipeg? Follow that up with yet another blowout loss to the Canadiens, a good team but not exactly the 2001 Avalanche. The team is extremely inconsistent, which is what separates the great teams from the pretenders 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anyone blaming goaltending for this is literally clueless. 

Anyone who can't see the rest of the team and is only blaming goaltending, sure

Anyone saying Holtby is playing great hockey right now equally needs to give their head a shake

3 minutes ago, khay said:

System is getting consistenly exposed by Habs' relentless forechecking.

This system works against Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Edmonton. 

Doesn't work against Habs and Flames. Yet to see how things will go against the Leafs.

Better come up with some good adjustments or we are going 1-8-0 against the Habs.

I think this is it, Green needs to adjust our system. I don't the Habs are particularly strong or tenacious forechecking, they just send one or two guys out but we just can't deal with anything at the moment. This is not a strong playoff forecheck, this is a very measely couple of guys skating at our defenders and we're making stupid mistakes. In our prime, even last playoffs, we dealt with much faster forechecks with perfection but for some reason this season we've walked right into them, haven't been able to pass or skate around them as a unit but too many guys are trying to play through the Habs players.

They've got to simplify things - make the safe play up the boards if you need to, never try and dangle a forechecker (AV used to crucify guys for doing this) and everyone needs to play tighter and close to slowly pass and move the puck up the ice together as a unit rather than stretching out so much to try and force offence. 

Forget about risky plays to make offence, start with sound defence and build from there - we've got the top-end skill to create offence out of nothing, we don't need to be forcing this.

Green needs to sit down with everyone and get them to simplify the gameplan because this offensive-first nonesense has completely blown up now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I still can’t get over the fact jimbo Jones let toffoli walk.  Extremely affordable price, imagine having a fully healthy boeser and toffoli.   I can’t even remember the last time van had a legit 1/2 rw’s.  

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1