The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I wish he would let some of his players play the way that he did when he played.

I remember him as a bit of a tough nut hard worker, would get his nose dirty.

It feel like he sometimes punishes guys for showing emotion.

I don't think Green minds his players getting in a scrap at all?  Bad penalties, different story! He has consistently played some trouble makers; Roussel for example.

Green was a high flyer & a scorer in junior.  Wanted to be ''that guy'' again when he arrived in the NHL. But just was not good enough. 

He would tell you that Al Arbour beat coached him. Sometimes kicking & scratching to a successful career? He had to learn how to check, train, compete like a pro, PK, play defense. Just to stay in the NHL? And it started with letting him know that Travis needed an attitude adjustment. He also mentioned Abour gave him a lot of rope when he started to learn these attributes.

I liked some of his interviews regarding our players. Jake for example? He was going to have them earn it!  

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rychicken said:

no, but you posting 47 times per day about his employment status is....

You must be confusing me with all the rest of the "normal" fans that also want to get rid of TG because of his ineptness.    I've only posted once in this thread - so far - about sending our interim coach TG back to the ECHL where he can cause no further damage to this franchise.

• RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention the fact that no one bothers skating on the rare occasion we do gain entry.  I'm pretty sure Brown draws things up with one of these:

carrom-signature-stick-hockey-game-legs-red1.jpg

Hey, wonder if they have one of those baby's' in "the joint" for lazy Jake to keep his hockey skills up - until he gets out.  just asking............

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It's official now. 

All we can hope for is different assistant coaches because otherwise we are gonna be sitting at the bottom of the league again. 

Braindead ownership. 

What’s official?  Green coming back? 

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Covid is accountable. Move on. Fire people next year if they fail when we have a proper schedule and healthy players

Although I don't entirely disagree with you I do feel like that's the easy way out.

COVID did have a significant impact but why did they get slaughtered by Montreal at the start of the year?

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Why is Newell Brown back lol, the pp has sucked since the twins left

The PP sucked with the Sedins actually, and for quite awhile.   Before BB came in we sat at 23.   After he was added we moved all the way up to 9th.  

Last year our PP was decent.   This year it was awful.    We haven't had a great PP since 2011.   Back then we had a productive second unit which also helped, run by Coho.   Teams figured out the top unit that season and the second unit stepped in and kept us at or near the top.   2012 cracks became bigger and eventually our once great PP slipped and slipped and slipped and slipped right down to the bottom third and stayed there for several years until BB rookie year.   Since then overall, it's been better then the Sedins was for a long time.  Last season it was better then all but three teams.   I expect a bounce back no matter who's running it next season  

• Cheers 2

If we have a similar year next year, I hope everyone is gone. 

I also hope we don't see desperate moves just because the GM is trying to keep his job.

These better be 1-2 year extensions. I still don't think Green is the tactician and coach to lead a team to a long, successful run, but I'll give him another season if that's the direction we choose. 

Maybe better candidates will become available too, but Gallant will surely be gone (Rangers had talks with him, maybe Seattle grabs him).

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The PP sucked with the Sedins actually, and for quite awhile.   Before BB came in we sat at 23.   After he was added we moved all the way up to 9th.  

Last year our PP was decent.   This year it was awful.    We haven't had a great PP since 2011.   Back then we had a productive second unit which also helped, run by Coho.   Teams figured out the top unit that season and the second unit stepped in and kept us at or near the top.   2012 cracks became bigger and eventually our once great PP slipped and slipped and slipped and slipped right down to the bottom third and stayed there for several years until BB rookie year.   Since then overall, it's been better then the Sedins was for a long time.  Last season it was better then all but three teams.   I expect a bounce back no matter who's running it next season  

I think we're still getting by with skill rather than plays on the powerplay. Our powerplay is missing a threat from the blue line (Hughes isn't a threat to shoot) which would give us much more room to work with.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Glad they re-signed Green but like most, I think Clark is even more important, and wouldn't mind some changes among the other assistant coaches.  The front office is still a concern.  Benning is good at a few things but terrible at others.  He needs to get clear about what those are and find the appropriate help.  If the Sedins really are coming on board as apprentices and potential successors, that would be great.  Meanwhile, however, Benning still needs experienced help right away.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't think Green minds his players getting in a scrap at all?  Bad penalties, different story! He has consistently played some trouble makers; Roussel for example.

Green was a high flyer & a scorer in junior.  Wanted to be ''that guy'' again when he arrived in the NHL. But just was not good enough. 

He would tell you that Al Arbour beat coached him. Sometimes kicking & scratching to a successful career? He had to learn how to check, train, compete like a pro, PK, play defense. Just to stay in the NHL? And it started with letting him know that Travis needed an attitude adjustment. He also mentioned Abour gave him a lot of rope when he started to learn these attributes.

I liked some of his interviews regarding our players. Jake for example? He was going to have them earn it!  

I think youve got it backwards, Rousell is always taking bad penalties and rarely scraps.