The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I am a firm believer that just being a former Canuck doesnt make you qualified to be in management or coaching at the nhl level.

I like easing guys like the Sedins into an expanded role. This is how it should be done if you want former players in the fold. Assuming its not just a PR move (which, with Aquilini, is certainly at least fair to wonder about).

If Bieksa wants to become an NHL coach, take an assistant job in Abbotsford or coach in junior for a few years first.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope not, because GM's have a shelf-life 

Have em high up, in positions where they can positively impact the team, but in positions they'll never likely be fired from 

Last thing I wanna see is another Linden blemish

The Sedins are smart and want to learn how things work first, so I don't think the Linden risk is there nearly to the same degree. But in a co-president role I think they'd be great, setting the overall strategy and they'd be wise enough to delegate to their GM when needed. Linden made some rookie mistakes and I think the Sedins will avoid that by taking on this role first. 

Wherever it goes I'm happy, good to have them back involved. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

What’s the downside either way? Two of the hardest working, respected and intelligent people are willing to roll up their sleeves and come and learn the business for this organization is a win for us. I could not give a flying crap what the reason is, I’m just glad they’re here. Welcome home boys!

The downside would be, if they are misused.  I would hate to see this opportunity squandered because the front office doesn't have their crap together.

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

The downside would be, if they are misused.  I would hate to see this opportunity squandered because the front office doesn't have their crap together.

I really wouldn’t worry about them allowing themselves to be misused. They do not need this gig, they’re here because they want to help. If anything they’ll be more like the canary in the coal mine in that if they decide to leave we’ll know we have real problems.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like the Twins might be in almost a Presidential role?  Maybe conduits to the owner?  Maybe Benning cannot do anything without first explaining the move to the Twins and getting their approval?  

Which ones gonna be the coach and which ones gonna be gm?

• Vintage 1

Special Advisors?

Could have come up with better titles. They say they have a lot to learn so I guess that is why they didn't just name them co-presidents. 

So, are the here to learn or advise? guess a bit of both.

Nice to have them back in the fold. They can handle the media and Jim can keep building our squad. 

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I really wouldn’t worry about them allowing themselves to be misused. They do not need this gig, they’re here because they want to help. If anything they’ll be more like the canary in the coal mine in that if they decide to leave we’ll know we have real problems.

Wasn't the first canary Trevor Linden?  We can speculate all we want but probably won't know what truly happened until both he and Jim Benning are well past their retirement ages.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I think the twins proved, through the roles and titles they’re starting with, that they are smart enough not to let this happen. 

There were some pretty strong rumours that the Sedins were initially offered, by ownership, much higher profile front office positions and titles (something that would have been akin to them replacing Linden), which they turned down.

They won’t be the faces of the NHL organization (at least no more than they already were, even in retirement) or the CSE front office. Starting off as advisors, clearly below JB and his AGMs in the chain of command, and apparently with the freedom to participate in all areas of hockey ops, but mainly in an advisory and supportive capacity. Allows them to learn the business and grow their experience, with the view toward eventual longterm roles and advancement. This effectively lets them dip their toes into every aspect of hockey management, but still insulates them from any failures directly attributed to the current management group, and the short term results of the NHL club.

They’ve pretty effectively insured that they can’t really be used as PR shields or sacrificial lambs, and that their legacies can’t really be tarnished.

I’m sure the twins paid close attention to what happened with Linden, and made sure that they would not be put into a position to potentially share a similar fate.

When the timing is right, I can see the twins moving up to high profile roles (Co-Presidents, Co-GMs, etc), but they will take those steps on their own terms, and on their own merits, so that when the time actually comes, they’ll be ready, and they’ll very likely be quite successful, and long-tenured, in those top level roles.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the twins proved, through the roles and titles they’re starting with, that they are smart enough not to let this happen. 

There were some pretty strong rumours that the Sedins were initially offered, by ownership, much higher profile front office positions and titles (something that would have been akin to them replacing Linden), which they turned down.

They won’t be the faces of the NHL organization (at least no more than they already were, even in retirement) or the CSE front office. Starting off as advisors, clearly below JB and his AGMs in the chain of command, and apparently with the freedom to participate in all areas of hockey ops, but mainly in an advisory and supportive capacity. Allows them to learn the business and grow their experience, with the view toward eventual longterm roles and advancement. This effectively lets them dip their toes into every aspect of hockey management, but still insulates them from any failures directly attributed to the current management group, and the short term results of the NHL club.

They’ve pretty effectively insured that they can’t really be used as PR shields or sacrificial lambs, and that their legacies can’t really be tarnished.

I’m sure the twins paid close attention to what happened with Linden, and made sure that they would not be put into a position to potentially share a similar fate.

When the timing is right, I can see the twins moving up to high profile roles (Co-Presidents, Co-GMs, etc), but they will take those steps on their own terms, and on their own merits, so that when the time actually comes, they’ll be ready, and they’ll very likely be quite successful, and long-tenured, in those top level roles.

I hope you are right.  I am just worried about unintended consequences.

Haven’t been on the forum much - I’m very much in Summer mode now - and I’ve not read the entire thread to see if there are any bad takes about the Sedin’s return to the Canuck family.

Here is my take, capitalized for emphasis:

THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO THIS

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The only negative thing with having such valued guys as players turned management, Is at some point things turn south. Let's say the day comes where one or both are GM. The team is in a couple year rut but light on the horizon. ( just like old JB is in right now but fans lack patience )

After all these guys did for us and the city over their careers... Will they be dragged across the ground like benning is in the media?
This is one reason i don't want to see KB3 behind our bench. Coaching jobs don't normally last all that long... Hate to see any relationship with these sorts of players go south ( linden?? )