The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kraken sign Adam Larsson

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Doesn't Washington have a similar ludicrously low tax rate to Florida ? I believe i read that somewhere. If so probably explains this and a lot of other steals to come. 

Honestly can't believe that both us and EDM wouldn't have gone upto 4.5 for this guy. So possibly the tax break and the lack of absolutely terrible local media must be a thing. Either that or both teams are looking elsewhere...

They have no state income tax, so that definitely helps. But Seattle also has one of the highest costs of living of any city in North America (significantly higher than even Vancouver), state and local sales taxes can total over 10%, some of the highest property taxes in the USA, and some of the highest fuel taxes, among other factors. They’ve also just recently added capital gains tax (used to have none) and lawmakers, both state and local, have been trying to pass various “wealth taxes,” in recent years, both on the super rich (like billionaires), and for more moderate “high” incomes (like >$250K), which might eventually negate any existing income tax advantage for higher earners.

It’s definitely not a cheap place to live. And all together, I’m not sure you could say that Seattle’s total tax burden is really all that much lower than many other places, and most of the advantage, if there’s any, gets wiped out by the cost of living considerations.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He sucks because he lost a B prospect while other teams are losing top 4 D and top 6 forwards?

Okay then…

No he sucks cause his assist management is awful he could of easily flipped Lind and 2nd or 3rd for anything now he lost probably one of our best prospects for nothing 

• RoughGame 3

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

No he sucks cause his assist management is awful he could of easily flipped Lind and 2nd or 3rd for anything now he lost probably one of our best prospects for nothing 

And you know he didn’t already try to do that?

I don’t know how highly teams view Lind. Right now he’s an unproven prospect that requires waivers next season.

It’s not like many trades were going down anyways. Did you want us to trade for Duncan Keith?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No. Seattle is the only team allowed to talk to the FAs till the 28th. 

Only during their exclusive window which is now closed.  They had that window because it would mean their pick for that team.  Teams still hold on to their UFAs till the 28th.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Doesn't Washington have a similar ludicrously low tax rate to Florida ? I believe i read that somewhere. If so probably explains this and a lot of other steals to come. 

Honestly can't believe that both us and EDM wouldn't have gone upto 4.5 for this guy. So possibly the tax break and the lack of absolutely terrible local media must be a thing. Either that or both teams are looking elsewhere...

Washington doesn’t have a State income tax. Instead the State has sales and excise taxes. Every State has to generate taxation revenue in one form or another. 

It's bad enough, imo, that these two latest expansion teams get such plum e. draft conditions (ie. can take an entire roster of middle six , #4 D, and poach from any team with a decent tandem) - but to give them early UFA rights to get out ahead of the entire field of teams in free agency - is just too much imo.  They're already going to be able to pluck some outstanding veterans from teams in cap crunches (Price, Giordano, Bailey, etc, etc).....have even more leverage in a post covid market than Vegas did......no wonder a guy like Larsson is willing to go there - he'll be playing on an instant rice contender.

The only upside here is that at least it's Seattle this time - they'll be one of my favorite teams south of the border from the get-go.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And you know he didn’t already try to do that?

I don’t know how highly teams view Lind. Right now he’s an unproven prospect that requires waivers next season.

It’s not like many trades were going down anyways. Did you want us to trade for Duncan Keith?

29 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Other NHL GMs to Benning: “oh you’re likely going to leave a waiver wire prospect eligible for the expansion draft, but we can give you a draft pick or two so we can lose him ourselves to either ED or waivers?? Even though we have our own dead weight we could get rid of?  Oh and you want us to take Holtby too and his contract even though we’re almost at cap ourselves? And if one of them isn’t selected we have to figure that $&!? out on how to resolve the roster space and cap dollars??? WOW! Thanks Jimmy!! What a steal of a deal!! Here have a 2nd round pick for complicating things for us and making your own life easier.”

I bet the phone’s been ringing off the hook from GMs just begging for this deal, so much so that Jim and his assistants can’t even keep up…

C’mon man. 

image.gif.9b99ed029273d8e122fda70dbe521fe7.gif

• Haha 1