The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The problem TB has is that, yes they are now currently under the cap by about $750,000 but they only have 11 forwards, 5 dmen and 1 goalie signed. Even 1 league minimum contract puts them right back against the cap and they need to add about 6 players. Buying out TJ will help them but it won't be enough, it's going to be interesting to watch what kind of creative solution they come up with to get compliant, or which player needs surgery to miss all season and come back for the playoffs.

Has Hedman had any time off recently?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

I don't love the Oilers, but it's not hard to see Edler viewing a nice 2-year contract in Edmonton offering him a heck of a lot better chance at a Cup than Vancouver without moving too far away. Either Edler or Hamonic also make a lot of sense for Edmonton and Calgary.

I just don’t see it as an honest intention of chasing a cup. Edmonton got bounced by Winnipeg and doesn’t look to be improved at all thus far. They’re worse with Keith in for Larsson. 

32 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

If Edler wants to chase the money and not a ring by going to Alberta after earning $55M playing for the Canucks and refusing to waive his NMC “because this is where he wants to be” and then not signing with the Canucks on the cheap…I say **** ‘em. 

How dare a human change their mind, especially when things also change. :)

He played here, for less than he might have received elsewhere, take the good with the bad; annoying as it is.

• Like 1

After this blockbuster deal what would we want for Schmidt? Our forward group is set now. I would rather keep Schmidt and just get rid of Holtby to make the cap work as we need someone to play the right side of D. If we can get a mid 1st for him though I would take it as it lessens the risk that today produces.

Hopefully we can recoup some draft picks/cap space for schmidt seeing as he’s even less of a fit on our team now with OEL being brought in, would Schmidt and a sweetener prospect get us back in the first round?