The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Did you factor Miller as a direct replacement upgrade over Strome or was your scenario somehow keeping Strome in a Rangers uniform past this season? 

Miller replacing Strome

CapNYR.jpg.28e54f2ade19d9516da249bbf3873663.jpg

Edited by HKSR

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Miller replacing Strome

In that case, I'm against retention of any amount - unless of course they want to 'overpay' significantly, otherwise they give us what we want for Miller and they can start jettisoning off their other assets to afford him beyond this year. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

In that case, I'm against retention of any amount - unless of course they want to 'overpay' significantly, otherwise they give us what we want for Miller and they can start jettisoning off their other assets to afford him beyond this year. 

I posted the #s for NYR above...

I was generous and only gave Laf a tiny raise lol... they can't keep Miller if any of their young guys break out in a big way.

Edited by HKSR

Just now, Nave said:

I'm not really interested in a trade with the Rangers if one of Laffy, Schneider, or Kakko aren't available. 
Would prefer K'Andre Miller over Lundkvist too. We have enough small defensemen. 

Yep.. pretty much the same.  Getting a top line PPG forward who can play all positions and all situations is supposed to hurt.  Especially when they come under club control and a great cap hit.

If Schneider isn't in the mix, then K'Andre Miller should be since we need to improve our defence and our Miller is one of the few trade chips capable of accomplishing that.  Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravstov are all fine but we are moving out from a place of relative strength and just swapping it out with a lesser player in the same position.  More wingers are a luxury right now unless this move happens after a Boeser/Hoglander/Garland move that gives us a top 4 RHD.

5 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well thing is that package will be there in the off season anyways so why bother. 

Press for Schneider at the deadline enlarge hula from another team or just wait till the draft. Packages floated around right now ain't going anywhere post deadline. 

Huh? The reason teams might throw a big package now, is because they want him for the push to playoffs and cup run. They’re not going to offer same packages after the season, when he’ll  only have 1 year remaining on his contract

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It sounds like we're going after the wrong players... JR spoke on 650 and talked about the forward group needing more speed and skill (balanced scoring).  He doesn't care about size as much.

He also said the defence group is a group he can work with. 

So with that being said, start shopping for young, speedy and skilled forwards people!  Screw NYR and their Schneider crap lol

I'll go first... :P

To VAN:

Hendrix Lapierre

Connor McMichael

Lars Eller

To WASH:

JT Miller

Edited by HKSR

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It sounds like we're going after the wrong players... JR spoke on 650 and talked about the forward group needing more speed and skill (balanced scoring).  He doesn't care about size as much.

So with that being said, start shopping for young, speedy and skilled forwards people!  Screw NYR and their Schneider crap lol

To VAN:

Hendrix Lapierre

Connor McMichael

Lars Eller

To WASH:

JT Miller

To VAN:

Chytil

Othmann

Cuylle

Kravtsov

2nd

To NYR:

Miller

Motte

If we can't have Schneider let's just take all their forwards who aren't Laffy or Kakko

:bigblush:

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Drury is going to have to do something. 

People think the Rangers are sitting pretty because they can afford to take on a contract like Miller's right now, but the article (below) points out that all is not right in the big apple.  A couple of things have changed since this article came out (Fox/Zib contracts for example), but the underlying concerns are still there - NY will have several young players becoming either RFA or UFA within the next three years including:  Lafreniere/Miller/Chytil/Barron/Gauthier/Lindgren/Schnieder/Jones/Hajek/Georgiev/Blais/Kakko/Kravtsov. 

They already gave away Buchnevich for scraps and are regretting that situation badly as he's a point-per-game player in STL right now and could end up being a 30g guy. 

Maybe you're not getting the cream-de-la-cream of the Rags players/prospects (maybe you are), but Drury is going to have to offload some seriously prime young players/prospects if he has any hope of keeping his 'core' together with a good enough support system around them to stay relevant in the East. 

https://bluelinestation.com/2021/07/27/new-york-rangers-cap-situation-bad/

Oh for sure. Moving forward, they're going to likely have to move off of Georgiev, a Kreider and/or Trouba and (likely why they're reluctant to move Schneider). But Trouba especially, is going to COST them assets to move. Regardless of him being a decent D.

All the more reason they should be all in trying to win this and next year when they stand some chance of keeping at least most of the band together. Also why I'd consider retaining to increase the return.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

In an age where cup winning bluelines rarely have a player under 6ft, we cannot move a prime asset for yet another small puck mover. Absolutely not.

Meh, depends on what you surround them with. Minnessota has one of the best D groups in the league, and they're quite small. And if nothing else, there's no rule saying we HAVE to keep Lundkvist. There's always a trade market for a fast, puck moving RD. We can always turn around and flip him for a bigger, less offense oriented/more 2 way D. Now, or later. Ideally after he's padded his stats playing alongside Hughes on PP1 for a season or two :lol: People need to stop viewing every trade piece as the final destination. Even a late first we likely get may be flipped for something else, used to move up in the draft etc, etc...

GET THE ASSETS. That's the important part. 

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Hendrix Lapierre

Connor McMichael

Lars Eller

To WASH:

JT Miller

Chytil and Kravstov are both fast, skilled players FWIW.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

GET THE ASSETS. That's the important part. 

The problem I have with that is that assets often decline in value, especially if they're put into a situation where they may not be a great fit. Conversely, if the asset's stock raises, management may be less willing to move them for a less redundant piece even if it's the right move to make. 

I'd much rather try land what we need now than continuously flip assets hoping that something sticks.This needs to be a home run. 

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The problem I have with that is that assets often decline in value, especially if they're put into a situation where they may not be a great fit. Conversely, if the asset's stock raises, management may be less willing to move them for a less redundant piece even if it's the right move to make. 

I'd much rather try land what we need now than continuously flip assets hoping that something sticks.This needs to be a home run. 

Sure. But as the Stones once said...

200.gif

And Lundkvist ++++ is still a home run.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s a tough one.

That could end up as an absolute home run.

On the other hand we might only end up with a third liner in the end.

I think I’d lean towards getting less grade A pieces than more questionable prospects. 

Give us one of Kakko, Lafreniere, or Schneider and forget the other pieces.

lafreniere or schneider yes.. kakko i'm leaning towards no and throw him in the same category as the others maybe slightly higher but definitely a lot lower than laffy or schneider.. while Miller's value is at an all time high.. he ain't fetching more than what Eichel went for regardless of his contract.. Eichel is borderline franchise player..

it'll probably end up something like schneider/laffy + a 2nd if we are hell bent on 1 of those 2 players.. if not it'll be more like Lundqvist Kratsov/chytil/1st and a 2nd.. i honestly don't see any GM giving up the equivalent of 3 1st rounder that's still 21 or below for any player short of an art ross or selke or norris caliber player.

ppl will point at calgary setting the bar for toffoli.. but all they really gave up is a question mark prospect a cap dump and a 1st rounder.. hardly a haul..

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

the term asset management borders on the absurd.  JT Miller for 2 1st round picks is good asset management.  The likelihood of those picks panning out to become JT Miller is exceptionally low forget being better than him.  The team that gets the best player in the trade wins the trade.  This is proven more often than not.  There is no way we are getting the best player when we trade Miller.  A lot people play too much video game hockey where you can always trade players as who cares on the impact in the room they are virtual hockey players.  You can always trade two assets for 1, so it makes sense to trade everyone for a 7th round pick because you can then trade 2 7th round picks for a 6th round pick...2 6th round picks for a 5th round pick and so on and so on...Because you are managing your assets.  You are always getting something for nothing.  You are always improving the asset base!  Sports is not a game of quantity.  It is a game of quality.  Quality is not obtained by trading quantity for quality.  No smart GM would do that.  Quantity is available in free agency every year.  Those same 1st round picks are available in free agency, waiver wires or simple trades every year.  Elite players are never available for a reason.  There is a good amount of luck in obtaining truely exceptional players.  When do have one, you don't trade them for quantity just to level the balance sheet.  "To manage the cap and the term and the age and the whatever."  You have to actually get a good player back not beans or maybes.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

the term asset management borders on the absurd.  JT Miller for 2 1st round picks is good asset management.  The likelihood of those picks panning out to become JT Miller is exceptionally low forget being better than him.  The team that gets the best player in the trade wins the trade.  This is proven more often than not.  There is no way we are getting the best player when we trade Miller.  A lot people play too much video game hockey where you can always trade players as who cares on the impact in the room they are virtual hockey players.  You can always trade two assets for 1, so it makes sense to trade everyone for a 7th round pick because you can then trade 2 7th round picks for a 6th round pick...2 6th round picks for a 5th round pick and so on and so on...Because you are managing your assets.  You are always getting something for nothing.  You are always improving the asset base!  Sports is not a game of quantity.  It is a game of quality.  Quality is not obtained by trading quantity for quality.  No smart GM would do that.  Quantity is available in free agency every year.  Those same 1st round picks are available in free agency, waiver wires or simple trades every year.  Elite players are never available for a reason.  There is a good amount of luck in obtaining truely exceptional players.  When do have one, you don't trade them for quantity just to level the balance sheet.  "To manage the cap and the term and the age and the whatever."  You have to actually get a good player back not beans or maybes.  

Well said.

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think it's all that important anymore.  

I think Tampa is the perfect D core with a mix of skill, speed and sandpaper. Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, McDonagh and they also brought Schenn on board, specifically as depth for playoff minutes as they are hard minutes and games get way more intense.

You need big bodies that can play hard and mean and for the most part, every NHL d-man has skill to make passes and skate but when you also add size and a penchant for finishing checks hard, that is a MUST come playoff time. If Tampa doesn't have the type of D core as described above, they likely don't win the cup.

Right now, we have 3 players who can skate, pass and play a bruising game. Schenn, Myers and Hamonic (shout out to Burroughs). Aside from that, Hunt, Hughes and OEL are not what you need to win in the playoffs unless we get that support from their D-partners. We really need to overhaul our D in a big way if we want to be a perenial contender in the years ahead.

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I think Tampa is the perfect D core with a mix of skill, speed and sandpaper. Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, McDonagh and they also brought Schenn on board, specifically as depth for playoff minutes as they are hard minutes and games get way more intense.

You need big bodies that can play hard and mean and for the most part, every NHL d-man has skill to make passes and skate but when you also add size and a penchant for finishing checks hard, that is a MUST come playoff time. If Tampa doesn't have the type of D core as described above, they likely don't win the cup.

Right now, we have 3 players who can skate, pass and play a bruising game. Schenn, Myers and Hamonic (shout out to Burroughs). Aside from that, Hunt, Hughes and OEL are not what you need to win in the playoffs unless we get that support from their D-partners. We really need to overhaul our D in a big way if we want to be a perenial contender in the years ahead.

Don't get me wrong, that's the game I love, the game I played.  However, that simply isn't the way the game is being played anymore.  Speed and moving the puck are far more effective tools in today's game than size and aggression

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Don't get me wrong, that's the game I love, the game I played.  However, that simply isn't the way the game is being played anymore.  Speed and moving the puck are far more effective tools in today's game than size and aggression

What I am getting at, is that you need all of those things. Speed, skill and come playoff time, d that can clear the crease, stand up to the pressure, throw and take hits. You need to have balance in this respect. If you had a team full of Hughes, yea you get the puck up, great first pass and skating but ni intimidation and guys going into the corner with their head on a swivel.

MTL made the finals last year in large part to their big 4 D, Weber, Petry, Chiarot and Edmundson. 

Yes, the game is much faster and more skilled but having D with size is necessarry to go far in the playoffs. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

What I am getting at, is that you need all of those things. Speed, skill and come playoff time, d that can clear the crease, stand up to the pressure, throw and take hits. You need to have balance in this respect. If you had a team full of Hughes, yea you get the puck up, great first pass and skating but ni intimidation and guys going into the corner with their head on a swivel.

MTL made the finals last year in large part to their big 4 D, Weber, Petry, Chiarot and Edmundson. 

Yes, the game is much faster and more skilled but having D with size is necessarry to go far in the playoffs. 

A team with Hughes and Lundkvist (likely on different pairings) isn't a "team full of Hughes" though.

Like I said earlier, it depends on what you surround them with.