The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Patrick Kane Trade Talks

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Buddy if they had 2nd overall both those years instead of 1st overall...

Kaapo Kaako instead of Jack Hughes

Nolan Patrick instead of Nico Hischier

Enough said.

That's only 2 players for a roster of 23.  

What if Detroit picked Hughes - does Vancouver get Zadina instead.  There's always some luck but you also need the right vision/planning along with the luck. 

Lamoriello always refused to rebuild - NJD had made the finals in 2012 and he was replaced in May 2015.  Shero too went for the re-tool on the fly.  Gave up multiple picks 2nd/3rd rounds for Palmieri, Johansson, Mirco Mueller even went for a 2nd, Gusev, Subban etc - never gave up a 1st though.  NJD ownership just as impatient - one of their owners was complaining that they had picks/prospects to trade so it was really unacceptable that they weren't in the playoffs.  Could even argue that the Canucks drafted just as well during those years in the 1st round till the Shero firing - Bratt was a steal in the 6th round though but other teams had ample opportunity to take him before NJD.  Fitzgerald only took over in January 2020.  

Winning the lottery is not the reason one team is doing well and the other is struggling.  It's more the pieces they brought in on the side and how they constructed the team.  Not giving up 1st round picks.  Not extending players that didn't fit their core.  Having an identity of how they want to play - speed and pace.  NJD one of the fastest if not the fastest team in the league - they can suffocate opponents with their speeed and it's a differentiating factor (for now).  Vancouver has no real identity and have pieces that don't quite fit together.  

2014    Virtanen (6) McCann (24)            Quenneville (30th)        Benning's 1st draft and Lamoriello's last    Demko in the 2nd round

2015    Boeser (23)                                 Pavel Zacha (6th)         Sheros' 1st draft

2016   Juolevi (5th)                                 McLeod (12th)              but Bratt in the 6th round              

2017    Pettersson (5)                             Hischier (1)                       

2018    Hughes (7)                                  Ty Smith (17)

2019    Podkolzin (10)                             Hughes (1)

2020    -                                                  Holtz (7) + Mercer (18) + Mukhamadullin (20)         Fitzgerald's 1st draft    So far only Mercer is a regular.

2021    -                                                  Hughes (4)

Edited by mll

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Petey than Hischier so glad we dropped to 5th in 2017...

We had makar 1 I believe the word was.

id been very okay with makar. 

but ya petey over Patrick for sure and Hischier is much better than given credit for i think, but I’d still take petey over him too

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

That's only 2 players for a roster of 23.  

What if Detroit picked Hughes - does Vancouver get Zadina instead.  There's always some luck but you also need the right vision/planning along with the luck. 

Lamoriello always refused to rebuild - NJD had made the finals in 2012 and he was replaced in May 2015.  Shero too went for the re-tool on the fly.  Gave up multiple picks 2nd/3rd rounds for Palmieri, Johansson, Mirco Mueller even went for a 2nd, Gusev, Subban etc - never gave up a 1st though.  NJD ownership just as impatient - one of their owners was complaining that they had picks/prospects to trade so it was really unacceptable that they weren't in the playoffs.  Could even argue that the Canucks drafted just as well during those years in the 1st round till the Shero firing - Bratt was a steal in the 6th round though but other teams had ample opportunity to take him before NJD.  Fitzgerald only took over in January 2020.  

Winning the lottery is not the reason one team is doing well and the other is struggling.  It's more the pieces they brought in on the side and how they constructed the team.  Not giving up 1st round picks.  Not extending players that didn't fit their core.  Having an identity of how they want to play - speed and pace.  NJD one of the fastest if not the fastest team in the league - they can suffocate opponents with their speeed and it's a differentiating factor (for now).  Vancouver has no real identity and have pieces that don't quite fit together.  

2014    Virtanen (6) McCann (24)            Quenneville (30th)        Benning's 1st draft and Lamoriello's last    Demko in the 2nd round

2015    Boeser (23)                                 Pavel Zacha (6th)         Sheros' 1st draft

2016   Juolevi (5th)                                 McLeod (12th)              but Bratt in the 6th round              

2017    Pettersson (5)                             Hischier (1)                       

2018    Hughes (7)                                  Ty Smith (17)

2019    Podkolzin (10)                             Hughes (1)

2020    -                                                  Holtz (7) + Mercer (18) + Mukhamadullin (20)         Fitzgerald's 1st draft    So far only Mercer is a regular.

2021    -                                                  Hughes (4)

Give it a break.  If they didn't get those 2 players, they wouldn't be the powerhouse they are now and so nobody would give a damn about what they have to say about 'building' a winning team.  That's the point I'm trying to make, but again you go off on some essay reply lmao.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Give it a break.  If they didn't get those 2 players, they wouldn't be the powerhouse they are now and so nobody would give a damn about what they have to say about 'building' a winning team.  That's the point I'm trying to make, but again you go off on some essay reply lmao.

They were talking of teams having good players but not building a contender because the pieces didn't fit together before even the Pettersson/Hischier draft.   

Getting 1st overall is not the guarantee of building a winning team - eg Buffalo.  There's no reason that the Canucks aren't further along either.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

They were talking of teams having good players but not building a contender because the pieces didn't fit together before even the Pettersson/Hischier draft.   

Getting 1st overall is not the guarantee of building a winning team - eg Buffalo.  There's no reason that the Canucks aren't further along either.

Like I said, they can talk the talk cuz they're doing well, but nobody would care what they have to say if they were 14th or 15th in the league with Kaako and Patrick on their roster instead of Hughes and Hischier.  

Buffalo is on their way.  Their 1st OA picks have just been a bit more recent.  Give it a few more years and I'd be willing to bet they'll be in the top tier of the league.  That's simply what winning the lottery twice can do for a franchise.  Why else did the NHL implement new rules on winning the draft lottery.

• Cheers 1

Nashville Predators taking NJD advice:

"Sweet! If we compliment our 1st round picks in Dante Fabbro and Eeli Tolvanen with quality support players, we too can be as good as the New Jersey Devils!"

Wait... did u say Tolvanen...? :ph34r:

San Jose enters the chat.

"Nice! We can compliment Ozzy Wiesblatt and Ryan Merkley! 2nd overall in the league here we come!!!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yup. I do feel like we have another shot at what we need to accomplish, by moving Horvat.

I don't hate the 8 million dollar Miller contract, considering some of the absurd contracts other teams have given out, and that he's got a point per game average in all 4 years as a Canuck. Get him a defensively responsible winger, and he can go back to center. No more stupid cross ice passes if he's not playing on the wall. He's good on faceoffs too. 

With cap space, and Myers' contract falling off next year, we can make a serious play to rebuild the defense. We're a better team with a rebuilt D, even without Horvat.

I don't hate the 8 million contract, but his bad attitude especially the bad giveaways.

• Cheers 1

Hmm I wonder if Patty Kane would be the smartest acquisition.  A team like LA got Fiala on the upswing (point per game winger at age 26) while the Devils would get a smaller winger like Kane who (as elite as he has been) is posting the lowest points/ game at 0.77 after multiple 1.1 points/ game seasons.  It's possible that he's on the decline.  For a smaller team with most players in their 20's, I'd say go for someone like Timo Meier or Lawson Crouse who can play physical games, or try for Filip Forsberg if the Preds fall out of the playoff picture.  

31 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I don't hate the 8 million contract, but his bad attitude especially the bad giveaways.

most of his bad giveaways happen on the wing when hes trying a stupid cross-ice pass, and he's pretty bad on the pk.

Get a couple better pk'ers on the 3rd line, put him at center, and get a speedy defensive guy like kapanen to put on millers wing and i think we're in good shape.

or im just coping haha. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

most of his bad giveaways happen on the wing when hes trying a stupid cross-ice pass, and he's pretty bad on the pk.

Get a couple better pk'ers on the 3rd line, put him at center, and get a speedy defensive guy like kapanen to put on millers wing and i think we're in good shape.

or im just coping haha. 

Kapanen is useless.  His dad was good defensively, but those genes were not passed on.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Trebreh said:

in Canuck land, we get nothing but low ball offers at the TD for JT.

don't forget excuses...... we get lots and lots of excuses from the people who are hired to find solutions.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, mll said:

Oh really?

image.thumb.png.d14660bf66b196eb1c9830e0794680fa.png

15 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Huh? It might just put them over the top.

image.png

They are a really good team, and can really use someone like Kane. I dont expect them to win the cup this year though as not enough playoff experience on the roster. Could be something they address at trade deadline though. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Trebreh said:

that rumoured package is a huge haul if true. It always amazes me how other teams are able to trade their top players and get value back for their asset. Meanwhile.. in Canuck land, we get nothing but low ball offers at the TD for JT.

The Canucks and the fanbase are very nostalgic cause the team doesn't really have alot of accomplishments to show, in it's 50 plus years.