The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure thats why Gillis was fired tho. I think it was the whole Lu debacle that was the annoying part for the Aquilini family. 

In an ideal world, Linden should have been hired even 1 year under Gillis to learn the ropes. Had that happened I think he'd still be here. 

Gillis was on that old “Team Radio” a few days before he was fired and was talking about the differences in direction for the club between him and ownership, and that he didn’t know if he would be back. Although, I was in the barn shoeing some horses, so I might have misheard some of what he said.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis was on that old “Team Radio” a few days before he was fired and was talking about the differences in direction for the club between him and ownership, and that he didn’t know if he would be back. Although, I was in the barn shoeing some horses, so I might have misheard some of what he said.  

I just think after how badly the Lu thing went, Aqua didn't trust Gillis to take things further. Once trust is gone, thats it. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In the real world though, this still wouldn't have happened, because Linden and Gillis had an acrimonious relationship that arose during the lockout when Linden was the PA president.  It's pretty much the reason why Linden retired after Gillis took the reins.

ah didn't know that part. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Was Benning rushed though.  He was an assistant GM for quite a while.  

Imhao Benning was a bad hire because he proved himself to be terrible.  

Our owner was foolish to not allow Gillis to do a proper rebuild when that was what Gillis wanted to do.  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The constant through the entire time is our owner.  He had our most successful (and forward thinking) GM ever in Gillis suggesting we needed to rebuild.  But our owner thought he was smarter about hockey, and fired Gillis and went with Benning.  Gillis wanted to do a proper rebuild.  Benning promised that crap he did.  And that’s what our owner got.  Craperolla.  

Nod GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

94, Lost by a goal, and was a goal post away from tying game 7 in the third. 

11, The team wasn't even in game 7. It was 4-0 final score. 

It's not celebrating. It's fact that's the closest the Canucks have come to the Cup. 

I get it was a magical run but we don't need to bring in alumni every year for a special presentation to the tune of "these are the members of the 94 cup run blah blah". Watch there be a some sort of pre-game ceremony or 30 year acknowledgement come 2024. It's just sad and I'm sure the members on that team are tired of answering "tell us about that cup run and the memories you had?"

Yes.. tell me about losing a heart-breaking SCF over and over again...

Edited by 250Integra
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Thomas Drance isn't some Canucks hater who bashes them to no end and is without valuable insight. He's incredibly smart, analytical, and logical, and he knows his stuff. He sees how this team has been improperly constructed and knows that the idea of squeaking into the playoffs so that "anything can happen" is false hope, and he tells it like it is. 

He's a closet Leafs and Panthers fan.  

I've never seen someone so giddy as Drance after Canucks losses.  

I respect his hard work but he's very stubborn and will ignore numbers to suit his narrative. I'll take Satiar Shah and Harman Dayal over Drance, all day every day :)

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

then Linden wasn't ready to be the boss then. Any way you cut it, imo, he just wasn't ready for the big chair. 

not necessarily... maybe he just wasn't willing to kiss the Aquaman's a$$ enough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He's a closet Leafs and Panthers fan.  

I've never seen someone so giddy as Drance after Canucks losses.  

I respect his hard work but he's very stubborn and will ignore numbers to suit his narrative. I'll take Satiar Shah and Harman Dayal over Drance, all day every day :)

He's a hockey fan, so what's wrong with him being a fan of them and the Nucks? I don't blame him for laughing when his analysis of our team comes to fruition and then Twitter goes ape on him. People will try to find anything they can to slag on him (and it's laughable), when they should use that time to hear what he's actually saying. I don't see him as stubborn at all, as he's taken a well-thought-out stance after careful analysis, so for him to simply switch his stance when he keeps being proven correct is commendable. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He's a hockey fan, so what's wrong with him being a fan of them and the Nucks? I don't blame him for laughing when his analysis of our team comes to fruition and then Twitter goes ape on him. People will try to find anything they can to slag on him (and it's laughable), when they should use that time to hear what he's actually saying. I don't see him as stubborn at all, as he's taken a well-thought-out stance after careful analysis, so for him to simply switch his stance when he keeps being proven correct is commendable. 

It's the truth.

He, like many Vancouver media personalities, offers nuanced analysis and grounded discussion points about this team.  Of course, because it isn't catered to the average homer fan, it's seen as dissenting, negative, or "clickbait".

90% of this board could become so much more knowledgeable about this sport and their favourite team if they actually made efforts to consider what unbiased or "critical" minds have to say about the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Oh I've heard him plenty, listen to him every day in fact. 

Sorry but saying "this team isn't good enough" isn't some 200 IQ proclamation. This whole being proven right is laughable haha 

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh I've heard him plenty, listen to him every day in fact. 

Sorry but saying "this team isn't good enough" isn't some 200 IQ proclamation. This whole being proven right is laughable haha 

You seem like a perfect example of the type of fan that slags on him with out-of-context statements like, "this team isn't good enough". You're essentially cherry picking that one statement while leaving out all of the analysis that leads to him saying that.