The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign John Klingberg

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

And likely retain and flip Klingberg for a 1st at the TDL unless Ducks are near top of our division. Bottom feeder rebuilding teams should have cap space and should only really sign guys to 1 or 2 year deals and trade them to recoup picks...something our old GM did the polar opposite of and finally got fired...just should have been done the prior off season then we would have 12m more to use this year if we wanted to!

it's almost like you can't just magically make players accept the contracts you think they should have. 

7 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Smart move by Anaheim.

Have him play there until the deadline.  Unload him for the pro-rated amount to a contender for a huge haul.  (Even retain salary so they can fit him under the cap for a playoff run)

My guess he would fetch:

1st round pick

2nd round pick

A grade prospect

Everyone wants a RHD 

At trade deadline you are only getting him for last 15 games regular season and playoffs?Then he becomes a UFA at 31??

Look what it cost Rangers for Copp? Becomes a UFA they give up 1st rounder and prospects .. Teams will be getting smarter about rentals for playoff runs on UFA players.. Colorado and Tampa are elite teams to make playoff run trades....

I think Miller trade values is slowly going down...Canucks can't have that distraction all season?

Either get contract done of trade before season starts in October...

3 hours ago, tas said:

must be nice to be a bad team in the midst of a deep rebuild. 

I wonder how far off they really are from being where Detroit was last year (when they just needed to wait for their declining UFAs to expire, then they went out to sign competent vets).  Their core is coming along nicely (Zegras, Drysdale, plus a bunch of good veterans and young guns e.g. Gibson, Fowler, Comtois, Terry, Strome, Vatrano, McTavish, Shattenkirk, Henrique, now Klingberg... that's at least a solid top-9, plus a couple of RHD who could do well in carrying their own pairing, and Gibson could probably get better with an improved team in front of him).  With their cap space to sign guys and internal player development, maybe in a year they could at least threaten for a playoff spot?  Even flipping more vets for assets wouldn't be a bad move (like this signing sets up for them) to be honest.  

7 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Our window will be soon, and this would only assume that there would be some some of discount and not a 7x7 type contract (Yuck).  If Klingberg takes Myers money (Maybe 6Mx4) or less and Severson comes in at around (6Mx5) on his next contract it allows the team to be more balanced in the Petey, Hughes, Demko timeline which is over the next several years.  There is absolutely nothing in the pipeline on RD so we have to move some assets and sign some contracts to fill those needs.  We do need to move some of the deck chairs to RD as we can't just hope it fixes itself.

We have such a huge depth of young wingers as well, so we need to clear some of that out too to allow for progression.

So you'd have Hughes, OEL, Klingberg and Severson?  That's like 27M for 4 D, yikes!  And outside of Hughes, old.

4 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Okay, Klingberg's signed, now I vote we change this to the "Sign PK Subban" thread....he's our last hope for RHD!:frantic:WHO'S WITH ME? - Braveheart charge! | Meme Generator

Brave guy but looked how it worked out for him.    Got the rack and other stuff.   So no thanks.   PK Subban at the league minimum i suppose would be ok.   Look what Edler signed for lol.    

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am an outlier calling the Ducks as a bubble team, playoff possible team.

Their drafting the last 4 years plus trades that net then prospects/youth have them years ahead of the Canucks in terms of prospect depth and skill.

I'd say the Pacific didn't get any easier this year at all

If Gibson plays how he can you can never count the Ducks out, he's as good as Demko is

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

If Gibson plays how he can you can never count the Ducks out, he's as good as Demko is

I'd say looking at the improvements made that the Ducks will be far harder to play against. 

Vatrano, Strome, Klingberg.  Helps that bottom 6 and also that D core which was basically not as mobile as they needed to be.  Have some good kids coming up too in MacTavish, Tracey, Perrault, Collangelo and even Zellweger ready to make a jump.  PLus this years crop of Mintyukov, Luneau and Gaucher.  They were 16 points back of us with a 52 goal difference but the areas in which they suffered they corrected with some decent signings this off season.

The Sharts for me are the bottom feeders of the division right now but I wouldn't even count them out.  Will be interesting to see what happens this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Useless signing ducks are a few years from the comeup why sign a dman like klingberg 1 year Couldve filled with elc dman or something cheaper tbh 

He's a TDL trade chip to gain more assets towards their rebuild. It's a smart way to use their cap space. He also helps them reach the floor.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Our offensive  dman quota is full especially if Rathbone gets some games. We need a board battling RHD demon that can dominate in one on ones. And keep people honest in front of our goalies. With some after the whistle, scrum cred. I also believe that our bottom 6 is grittier and can help our D with a more physical back check. 

Who are the low cost 2-4 M RHD that could be available by trade? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our offensive  dman quota is full especially if Rathbone gets some games. We need a board battling RHD demon that can dominate in one on ones. And keep people honest in front of our goalies. With some after the whistle, scrum cred. I also believe that our bottom 6 is grittier and can help our D with a more physical back check. 

Who are the low cost 2-4 M RHD that could be available by trade? 

Right on Hairy!

The following are the defensemen in your $ range, without identification of RD vs LD.

I went up to $4,0525,175 to include Pettersson just because.

2022 Defenseman Cap Hit Rankings

Marcus Pettersson
 PIT
D    $4,025,175
Brett Pesce
 CAR
D    $4,025,000
Erik Gudbranson
 CBJ
D    $4,000,000

Vince Dunn
 SEA