The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think he will trade Bo before the playoffs if he dosent sign there,..  even if the Isles make the playoffs. 

I don't think Lou will try to trade Bo unless they are mathmateically eliminated with a week to go to the deadline. In 2020 and 2021, they took TB to game 7 of the ECF back to back years. They are a few years removed with basically that same veteran roster. They have a solid goaltending tandem. Underrated D-core. Their F group is aging and has trouble scoring. They have put all their chips in for this coming playoffs. They are going for the Cup and believe they can compete with the rest of the East. I think it is a bold move to get Bo, likely realizing Bo is a smart player and also sees what we see, their window is starting to close.Why would he sign there with better options if what he wants is to chase a championship year after year?

Therefore, I think Bo will not sign with the Isles, who are also cap crunched. I think he will test FA this summer. This is his last chance to cash his mega deal and hand pick where he plays for the next 7 years. I see him signing with any of the teams listed below instead of the Isles:

CLB- good mix of solid talented vets and young players at every position. should be a good team in 1-2 more years, pull a NJ...

Det- similar to CLB, A 1 - 2 punch of Larkin and Bo would set them up down the middle for years.

Buf- talented young team whose window is just starting to open, loads of cap space, could use a veteran hitting his prime

Car- a small market team whose core is young, and Bo plays their kind of game

Bos- In need of replacing Krejci and Bergeron. Always competetive. Original 6 market.

Ott- another young and upcoming team, who could use his skillset. Swap out Bo in place of DeBrincat who has been a disappointment. (Bo playing in Ontario could be very appealing)

In any case, Lou has balls for going ALL IN this year, knowing he may not be able to retain Bo. This could be the last kick at the can for this group in long island.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I hope you're right

We need good skaters playing in a tight system by Tocchet. 

Still blown away by Seattle's team speed (which i think was mainly due to everyone playing in sync to a really good system and coaching by Hakstol)

Im curious. 

I have no idea what his playing style is

Is he better or worse than Garland? 

I honestly don't know the guy completely, but he's one of those players

who plays hard and has skill. So, even though he's a bit undersized? 

I personally don't care about that. It's more about, can he produce? 

Definitely has the energy and skill. 

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nice highlight package. Recommend watching. Great shot, really good speed, tough around the net, gritty, great backhand goals as well. New favorite player lol.

3 times he stole the puck by himself infront of the net and made the whole opposition defense and goaltender look like chumps. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Drance is an idiot. Anyways I sometimes listen to him because he is on 650 and could have sworn hie was not being his usual negative self on this trade. He said he hoped it was not a one off and that management continues to trade for futures. 

Drance liked the trade a lot in the first hours. Listen to him in the Vancast just after the trade Emergency Vancast

Then just to be his negative contrarian arsehole self, he writes an article that says the trade was underwhelming 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Cross fingers - pick centers in the first round and D the rest of the way (maybe one goalie if the right option is there)

Demko to a team who picks in the early 20s and hope David reinbacher ends up there. We could in theory get "lucky" and add a C and 2 RHD in just the first round this year! Just take a bunch of D, C and a goalie the rest of the way 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know that was said in jest, but after losing Hamhuis, that suspension really hurt....

I will never forget his hit on Horton.

Guy had his head down crossing the blue line, even in slo- motion it's debatable if the hit was late.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think he is a great middle six,  needs this opportunity,  and he will get it.

Great Skater, heads up anticipation, goes to the wide open areas with the shot, great accuracy, good skills.

Seeing some of his vid,  you can almost compare him to Kuz. 
He is not a reclamation.

Will be interesting to see how he does here. We suck, but we are really good offensively 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

Imagine if the Canucks didn’t sign Boeser to the 3 year deal.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but the emergence of Kuzmenko made Boeser expendable.   If we had of held on to that money and let Boeser go we would have enough room for both Bo and Miller.

Always lock up your centres first.  it’s always easier to get a centre to play the wing than it is a winger to play centre.  Canucks management should have known that, but now we have a crater sized void at centre and we have way too many overpaid wingers.   

#1 dream scenario:  Canucks predicted Kuzmenko rise to stardom and opt to not extend Brock Boeser.  The Canucks use that money to sign both Miller and Horvat.  

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Imagine if the Canucks didn’t sign Boeser to the 3 year deal.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but the emergence of Kuzmenko made Boeser expendable.   If we had of held on to that money and let Boeser go we would have enough room for both Bo and Miller.

Always lock up your centres first.  it’s always easier to get a centre to play the wing than it is a winger to play centre.  Canucks management should have known that, but now we have a crater sized void at centre and we have way too many overpaid wingers.   

#1 dream scenario:  Canucks predicted Kuzmenko rise to stardom and opt to not extend Brock Boeser.  The Canucks use that money to sign both Miller and Horvat.  

So we would have the same team that stinks but without Brock.

Better?  
Tear down is what is needed and hopefully finally started. This is just first step in bigger restructuring I hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I will never forget his hit on Horton.

Guy had his head down crossing the blue line, even in slo- motion it's debatable if the hit was late.

It was a fraction late, but my problem with it was that the suspension was completely out of line with the standard that had been set for the same infraction up to that point.

The NHL saw Horton doing the bacon with the biggest audience in both countries watching and decided they had to make an example of AR. They claimed that they were "setting a new standard" at the time, (a ridiculous decision in the final few games of the season, IMO) but they scrapped it part way through the following season, after GMs started voicing their displeasure over their players being held to that same standard....

As I said earlier: Scapegoat.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2

I was a bit disappointed at first but now I am pretty happy with the trade.

We got the Islanders top prospect and a mid-round pick, which has a 70% success rate vs a late first which is only about a 40% success rate. 

Beauvillier has only one year left so its a worthwhile gamble - might be able to fetch us a 2nd or 3rd in the next TDL

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I don't think Lou will try to trade Bo unless they are mathmateically eliminated with a week to go to the deadline. In 2020 and 2021, they took TB to game 7 of the ECF back to back years. They are a few years removed with basically that same veteran roster. They have a solid goaltending tandem. Underrated D-core. Their F group is aging and has trouble scoring. They have put all their chips in for this coming playoffs. They are going for the Cup and believe they can compete with the rest of the East. I think it is a bold move to get Bo, likely realizing Bo is a smart player and also sees what we see, their window is starting to close.Why would he sign there with better options if what he wants is to chase a championship year after year?

Therefore, I think Bo will not sign with the Isles, who are also cap crunched. I think he will test FA this summer. This is his last chance to cash his mega deal and hand pick where he plays for the next 7 years. I see him signing with any of the teams listed below instead of the Isles:

CLB- good mix of solid talented vets and young players at every position. should be a good team in 1-2 more years, pull a NJ...

Det- similar to CLB, A 1 - 2 punch of Larkin and Bo would set them up down the middle for years.

Buf- talented young team whose window is just starting to open, loads of cap space, could use a veteran hitting his prime

Car- a small market team whose core is young, and Bo plays their kind of game

Bos- In need of replacing Krejci and Bergeron. Always competetive. Original 6 market.

Ott- another young and upcoming team, who could use his skillset. Swap out Bo in place of DeBrincat who has been a disappointment. (Bo playing in Ontario could be very appealing)

In any case, Lou has balls for going ALL IN this year, knowing he may not be able to retain Bo. This could be the last kick at the can for this group in long island.

Do you think he runs with Bo in the playoffs even to lose Bo to UFA ?

that’s bold ..      

see , that’s where I think Lou loses his job , is directly after Bo leaves if that’s the case.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, stawns said:

It feels like when Kramer gets scalded by the coffee and he and Jackie Fields go to the company for a settlement and the company is going to give Kramer $50k, but leads with "we'll give you free coffee for life" and Kramer jumps up and yells "DEAL".

PA is Kramer

But you know Kramer would consume $75k worth of coffee for the remainder of his life :P 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I hope you're right

We need good skaters playing in a tight system by Tocchet. 

Still blown away by Seattle's team speed (which i think was mainly due to everyone playing in sync to a really good system and coaching by Hakstol)

Im curious. 

I have no idea what his playing style is

Is he better or worse than Garland? 

Tochett would have been watching and admiring Tanevs flo in the wind,. ;) 

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

4) Bo’s upcoming contract will be over paid and not reflect a continuation of this crazy season that he is having. He will go back to being a 30-35 goal / 50-60 point guy.

This is really it. Even if they hadnt signed Boeser he's just going to be too expensive.

If Bo would've taken something along the lines of 6.5x8 or 7x7 it would've been a different story, but he's just not shown this level of play long enough to be an 8x8 type player regardless of anything else.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1