The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Ok...............great game Blah, blah, blah

We just played the second worst team in the league

and you guys are going to evaluate Hronek on this game...........lol

PS..........I loved the score, loved the goals.......but come on guys!

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Early thoughts are what I was hoping for. Solid young top 4 dman. Offensive acumen. And best served for the team mostly in the 2nd pair and 2nd PP position. 

I suspect that will continue aside from the overloading of special teams or face off situations. 

Hronek is a smooth skater, is a thinker, has great hands, anticipates plays quickly and moves to a position to be reliably defensively or take advantage offensively. 

Looks to make smart plays, doesn’t get rattled or rushed into dumb plays. Hard, crisp passes. Other teammates may not have been used to that. But, his passing looks at or near elite. Tape to tape. Great outlets. One pass from the backend and it’s almost to Center ice a few times. 

He’s smallish, but plays hard. He’ll have a tough time handling bigger forwards. I can that being a weakness. Hopefully the team pairs him with a big bodied reliable defensive partner that can assume the role of taking on the tougher matchups. But, he didn’t shy away from it, so even though his size could be a weakness, his heart, willingness and ‘jam’ seems to be a strength. 

Some aspects of his style and play and understated swagger, point to shades of Bieksa for me. Not comparing the two outright, but just seeing a little of him tonight gave me some flashbacks of how Juice played. Don’t know if that’ll last and definitely don’t consider to be as physical as KB3. 

That’s my take so far. 

Maybe a more offensive version.

I'm just super impressed with the bolded, with the speed of todays game these are the attributes that separate the legit top 3 defenders from average to below average guys. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You can’t deny the skating, passing, thinking/anticipation abilities. Doesn’t matter who they were playing. Hronek showed that he has all of those abilities. 

Here is the thing SS

They played a team of lessers that have no system ......forecheck or defensively

And SJ has no depth.....none, which is why they are at the bottom...........

Yes, for a first game he looked decent...........not saying anything otherwise

But put him up against a top 10 team, and let's see how he does..........

Completely different animal when you have no time and space

And I am not saying anything bad, just lets take it slow before anointing him

If he shows good..great! That is what I want, and what I expect.

But yes, he certainly looked good for a first game.

• Cheers 3

I have no problem with the trade and player, brilliant RD and still quite young. It's just the timing of it all that's a bit odd and the direction we're going in. I'm glad we're winning but still very sceptical. We need to make some big moves in the off-season to complement the Bo and Hronek trades, we can't just sit pat. We need to flesh out the defence more and acquire a 3C and then we mean business, and I'll be pretty impressed if we manage to do so. Right now we've made 2 easy trades - trading Bo (the hottest commodity) early, and then throwing our picks away to Yzerman, giving him so much value that he couldn't refuse.

The hard trades are yet to come - shedding the excessive cap on this team, and acquiring a top LD. It'll be a battle to sign one of Gavrikov or Graves so if they miss out on one of those guys, we're in tough, and shedding cap won't be an easy job. 

As brutal as this sounds, I think any GM can trade a top young center and a high first and second round pick - they're very tasty valuables any other team would want, but how is Allvin going to manage to polish and trade Myers, Boeser or Garland? That'd be the sign of a truly skilled GM.

Great acquisition no less, but if you waive around a 15th overall pick in the deepest draft in years PLUS a 2nd which is basically a first in any other draft, you can get a lot of players. I'm not upset with the value, I'm just not impressed until Allvin and JR make a really difficult move. Regardless, I like the direction they're taking - they don't want to tank, they want to win ASAP. The timing of the Bo and Hronek deals are a bit strange - not much point trading now when we're well out of the playoffs, this Hronek deal could have waited until the draft, but Allvin has jumped the gun and just gone after what he wants whenever he sees it I suppose.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:45 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here is the thing SS

They played a team of lessers that have no system ......forecheck or defensively

And SJ has no depth.....none, which is why they are at the bottom...........

Yes, for a first game he looked decent...........not saying anything otherwise

But put him up against a top 10 team, and let's see how he does..........

Completely different animal when you have no time and space

And I am not saying anything bad, just lets take it slow before anointing him

If he shows good..great! That is what I want, and what I expect.

But yes, he certainly looked good for a first game.

So what about Dallas? Are they a top ten team?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I have no problem with the trade and player, brilliant RD and still quite young. It's just the timing of it all that's a bit odd and the direction we're going in. I'm glad we're winning but still very sceptical. We need to make some big moves in the off-season to complement the Bo and Hronek trades, we can't just sit pat. We need to flesh out the defence more and acquire a 3C and then we mean business, and I'll be pretty impressed if we manage to do so. Right now we've made 2 easy trades - trading Bo (the hottest commodity) early, and then throwing our picks away to Yzerman, giving him so much value that he couldn't refuse.

The hard trades are yet to come - shedding the excessive cap on this team, and acquiring a top LD. It'll be a battle to sign one of Gavrikov or Graves so if they miss out on one of those guys, we're in tough, and shedding cap won't be an easy job. 

As brutal as this sounds, I think any GM can trade a top young center and a high first and second round pick - they're very tasty valuables any other team would want, but how is Allvin going to manage to polish and trade Myers, Boeser or Garland? That'd be the sign of a truly skilled GM.

Great acquisition no less, but if you waive around a 15th overall pick in the deepest draft in years PLUS a 2nd which is basically a first in any other draft, you can get a lot of players. I'm not upset with the value, I'm just not impressed until Allvin and JR make a really difficult move. Regardless, I like the direction they're taking - they don't want to tank, they want to win ASAP. The timing of the Bo and Hronek deals are a bit strange - not much point trading now when we're well out of the playoffs, this Hronek deal could have waited until the draft, but Allvin has jumped the gun and just gone after what he wants whenever he sees it I suppose.

I mean, the timing is absolutely spot on perfect. A 25 yo top 4RHD that can log 22+ minutes to complement Hughes Brock Petey Demko and Miller. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I mean, the timing is absolutely spot on perfect. A 25 yo top 4RHD that can log 22+ minutes to complement Hughes Brock Petey Demko and Miller. 

Yup. Stealing Hronek for (what looks like right now) the 20th pick shows the brilliance of the timing. The Wings have lost a lot without Hronek. He was their best D. Seider is now trying to carry those minutes and can’t. Adding Hronek is going to greatly help Hughes. Hughes can carry the club, but now he has help. Detroit was dumb. They could have had Hughes and Hronek. We win! 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Goid point.   BoHo was about as valuable a commodity as there was at the TDL - the real work will be what Allvin does with OEL/Myers/Boeser/Garland as these contracs aren't going away easily - otherwise they would be gone already most likely. 

And this will prove to be one of the many reasons Hronek may end up being the better choice over Chychrun:

Jakob Chychrun To Miss Multiple Weeks

March 25th, 2023 at 2:17pm CST • By Brian La Rose

When the Senators acquired Jakob Chychrunfrom Arizona just prior to the trade deadline, the hope was that his addition would help lead a late playoff push.  That push just got considerably more difficult now as head coach D.J. Smith told TSN 1200 (Twitter link) that the blueliner will miss at least a couple of weeks with a lower-body injury.

Chychrun had made a nice impact on Ottawa’s back end since the trade, collecting five points in a dozen games while averaging more than two blocks per contest in 21 minutes a night of action.  For the season, he has played in 48 games between the Sens and Coyotes, picking up 33 points (the second most of his career) with his strong showing early on helping Arizona land three draft picks (including Ottawa’s first-round pick this season) in the swap.

Really hoping Hronek can get atleast one game in with OEL to close out the season.

I think OEL can have alot more to give with a competent NHL quality partner. We saw him play well in a small sample size with Bear. Myers has hindered his game and his confidence.

Bring OEL back after a big summer and match him with Hronek. I think he could actually thrive again with him.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

not much point trading now when we're well out of the playoffs, this Hronek deal could have waited until the draft, but Allvin has jumped the gun and just gone after what he wants whenever he sees it I suppose.

I highly doubt that the team that traded for Hronek instead of us would be willing to trade him away so quickly. You would have to be living in Australia (:P) to believe that Hronek wouldn't have garnered major interest once Yzerman put the word out that he is available. 

Even for a contender who looked at him as a pure rental 1.3 seasons/2 playoffs at a cap hit of 4.4 for an all situations 22+ minute 40 points RHD is worth a 1st and 2nd all day. The fact that he is an RFA is the cherry on top.

The question i have for you is what would be the benefit of waiting until the draft instead? Wouldn't you rather have him get acclimated with the team and systems, get his bearings in the city ready to hit the ground running next season?

The only problem I can see with acquiring him now is that we don't want to win games. Unfortunately the team turned the ship around without him and the tank is over with or without Hronek.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think part of the reason why Allvin was quick to pull the trigger on Hronek was that he wanted to give Tocchet a chance to see what he had in his blueliners before the season was up. We'll have a better indication of where what moves we need to make in the offseason now. Not to mention that completely overhauling the blueline may require some significant adjustment time to start the season, which could have potentially cost us a few wins while they try and become a more cohesive unit. The transition should be less jarring with Hronek already in the fold. We still need a couple pieces, but the overhaul should be a bit less jarring than it would have been had the team waited until the offseason. 

Gavrikov is going to get a lot of playoff experience before he joins us in the summer. So he should be ready to go and play high end hockey with Hronek right out of the gate next season.