Horvat - 1st/2nd line centre

Sutter - 3rd/4th line centre

Motte - 4th line winger/extra forward

Dowd - 13th forward

Gaunce - 4th line winger

Granlund - 2nd/3rd line winger

Gagner - 3rd/4th line winger

Gaudette - 3rd/4th line centre

Pettersson - 1st/2nd line centre/winger?

With Horvat and Gaudette in the middle, I wonder if Pettersson will be used on the wing even though the preference is to have him at centre. If Henrik is back and Pettersson makes the team, then I think there is a good chance he will play on the wing.

I like your valuations of our current centres, but is that the ceiling you feel for each?  Plus, it depends on how Green uses his centres.  Green likes to match a checking line against the other team’s top line.  So a guy like Sutter is checking the other teams’ top centres.  Does that make Sutter a one?  I learned the game a bit different than the younger crowd here.  The checking centre usually played the second most minutes of the centres, adding in PK duties.  So for me centres are two groups: 1 and 3 are the offensive minded guys, who play PP.  2 and 4 are your defensive guys, who play PK.  

Bo is definitely a 1/2. I think he’s a fabulous player.

Sutter, to me, is a 2/4

Pettersson is a 1/3

Gaudette is a 2/4

Hank is a 1/3. (Hank was a HHOF 1, but now he’s a marginal 3)

Gagner is a 3. (I’m not at all a fan of his game, especially when he’s played as a 4.)

I agree the other guys are (at best) marginal NHL wingers. 

I see us next season starting with Bo as our 1, Sutter as our 2, Hank as our 3, and Gaudette as our 4.  Gagner and Pettersson will start on the wings.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your valuations of our current centres, but is that the ceiling you feel for each?  Plus, it depends on how Green uses his centres.  Green likes to match a checking line against the other team’s top line.  So a guy like Sutter is checking the other teams’ top centres.  Does that make Sutter a one?  I learned the game a bit different than the younger crowd here.  The checking centre usually played the second most minutes of the centres, adding in PK duties.  So for me centres are two groups: 1 and 3 are the offensive minded guys, who play PP.  2 and 4 are your defensive guys, who play PK.  

Bo is definitely a 1/2. I think he’s a fabulous player.

Sutter, to me, is a 2/4

Pettersson is a 1/3

Gaudette is a 2/4

Hank is a 1/3. (Hank was a HHOF 1, but now he’s a marginal 3)

Gagner is a 3. (I’m not at all a fan of his game, especially when he’s played as a 4.)

I agree the other guys are (at best) marginal NHL wingers. 

I see us next season starting with Bo as our 1, Sutter as our 2, Hank as our 3, and Gaudette as our 4.  Gagner and Pettersson will start on the wings.

No, those aren't ceilings, just something I was thinking of next year. I could see Green experimenting with Pettersson both at centre and on the wing. Benning mentioned that Gaudette's strong transitional game and three-zone awareness will keep him at centre in the NHL. So, I see Horvat, Gaudette and Sutter being the locks at centre next year. The question mark is Henrik and if Pettersson makes the team.

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

No, those aren't ceilings, just something I was thinking of next year. I could see Green experimenting with Pettersson both at centre and on the wing. Benning mentioned that Gaudette's strong transitional game and three-zone awareness will keep him at centre in the NHL. So, I see Horvat, Gaudette and Sutter being the locks at centre next year. The question mark is Henrik and if Pettersson makes the team.

I can’t remember, but did Henrik start as the third line centre, and see second PP time?  I really think we need him to play the number 3 role.  I wonder if he’s willing to play that role, after (kind of) experiencing it this season?

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't worry, there's confusion all over the place today. 650 was saying this morning that Loui Eriksson had to be protected for the Seattle expansion draft :blink:

Wow, that shows their ignorant.  NTC is not required to be protected so therefore, Eriksson can be exposed for the draft.   His NMC clause in his contract expires this Summer and it becomes a NTC after July 1st.

Edited by coolboarder

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Intent isn't to pick on anyone here - but these are but a few of the comments on just the first two pages.   These were comments made about a FIFTH round pick.   The fact the kid has developed in over the three seasons since and earned an NHL ELC only shows the power of patience and the silliness of doom and gloom out of the gate.   Sure, he could have crashed and burned and sure (who?) Leveille may have turned out better but it was the pick your team made so why on earth not embrace it, watch the development and if it works out be happy for the kid and the franchise.    

Man outside of the first round its a crap shoot.  Who the hell knows how a kid in later rounds can turn out, some can disappear into nothing and be forgotten they were ever drafted and some can become Hobey Baker finalists.  The fact people are trash talking late round picks makes me chuckle. My only bummer was Ronning not being grabbed with a 6th or 7th round pick, I wanted him but wasn't the end of the world, as good as he played for the Giants this year he is a long shot to make the NHL I think.

Just now, Russ said:

Man outside of the first round its a crap shoot.  Who the hell knows how a kid in later rounds can turn out, some can disappear into nothing and be forgotten they were ever drafted and some can become Hobey Baker finalists.  The fact people are trash talking late round picks makes me chuckle. My only bummer was Ronning not being grabbed with a 6th or 7th round pick, I wanted him but wasn't the end of the world, as good as he played for the Giants this year he is a long shot to make the NHL I think.

True words mate.    I find if there is any angle to whine about, there are a few posters who will (without fail) fine it.  :lol:

What most of CDC should be doing is looking across the past five or so years of fifth round picks and find that there is Will Butcher (2013), perhaps Forsling (2014 and also a Canuck draft ironically), perhaps Simon in Pittsburg (2015 pick) and then Gaudette, and he was third to last player in that round, and conclude that may their management is actually finding prospects in places few others are able to.   Getting a fifth round pick at his position to the NHL and playing 100 games is about 10% at best and to play in a top six role (he many never do either) is about 3%.     

25 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Wow, that shows their ignorant.  NTC is not required to be protected so therefore, Eriksson can be exposed for the draft.   His NMC clause in his contract expires this Summer and it becomes a NTC after July 1st.

yah they backtracked on it later. Of course Loui is going to be exposed, really no matter what even if he ends up being a 20 goal scorer again, Jim's going to protect the younger assets. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Or perhaps he does and comes back to claim it!

Would love that. 

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Want your preferred # best be hanging round to keep it then <_<

Couldn't agree more. 

I just wonder if giving 88 to Gaudette is calculated at all. Either of you think mngmt is thinking that subversively?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This summer, maybe this often injured guy is traded?  

Maybe if Tanev was supported by a better forward group. One who were skilled enough to keep a high level of puck possession during a game. Just maybe he would not get pummeled into the boards as often. Maybe he wouldn't need to block a trilian shots per game. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

For now we get to enjoy our new toy and I think we will have a few more next year. Maybe even a shiny new 18 year old who can step right in :o

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Maybe if Tanev was supported by a better forward group. One who were skilled enough to keep a high level of puck possession during a game. Just maybe he would not get pummeled into the boards as often. Maybe he wouldn't need to block a trilian shots per game. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

For now we get to enjoy our new toy and I think we will have a few more next year. Maybe even a shiny new 18 year old who can step right in :o

If we get Dahlin, trade Tanev.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

There is some truth to this. Once he gets traded to a contender, he'll likely see easier minutes, likely on a 2nd pair and have a better team around him and yes, spend less time in his end, block less shots etc. That should add up to being healthier. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Even if we don't get Dahlin we should be trading Tanev. Guy just seems to have to much injury luck here. If he's not going to play a full season for us then trade him while his values still high.

Exciting thinking about how different our team could look in a couple years!

34 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Imo the window to trade Tanev has closed.  

Why would anyone give up much of anything now?  Guy can’t stay healthy for longer than a week.  His value just continues to drop league wide.  

Sure someone could roll the dice, but it’s not likely anyone will give up much until Tanev can put some healthy stretches together. 

Should have been dealt last draft. 

27 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Just for a bit clarity, if Tryamkin really wanted 88, he'd be wearing it again this season.

Honestly screw him. He left the team, he's lost the right to hold the number. Gaudette is going to look better in it anyway.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Further, Gaudette's play style lends to matching up against top players.  

He'll be the closest ''matchup'' centre we have to someone who can keep up to McDavid.  When do we play Edmonton next? 

I know, I know, am I ahead of myself?  Anyway, I can't wait! 

By matchup center you are thinking of a Kesler type -- two-way kind of guy?  That would be great, if that's the case.

On the other hand, for speed, Pettersson is quicker and faster; then again i suspect he's not going to be used in a defensive role very often -- and he might not always be playing as a center.

Pettersson still might be better against McDavid though... his playmaking and shooting would require McDavid (and his linemates) to keep track of him.