The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot's future

Nucks89

I predict the Canucks will re-sign him one more year as an extra safety-net. Canucks look to have Hughes in the line-up next year, and Pouliot is likely here as the odd man out. If Juolevi has a good camp or good start at the AHL and gets on the Canucks line up as a regular, then Pouliot would be traded for whatever JB can get back. I also foresee the Canucks to bring back Edler on a 2-year deal.

Some praise is due, that set-up to Baertschi was fantastic. 

Impossible to say who's where next season. I think Gudbranson is dragging down whoever he's paired with, and is a far greater liability than Pouliot. But Guddy can take on heavyweights.

I doubt they run with both Hughes and Stecher. Too many undersized guys, and you're going to lose board battles while being unable to move bodies at the front of the net. Edler still needs a contract. Juolevi will need some time after surgery. 

So, with all the moving pieces Pouliot on a cheap deal as a place-holder or otherwise a 7D doesn't look so bad. 

Tonight's game showcased both the good and bad of Pouliot's game.

He did show his puck carrying skill with the setup for Baertschi's goal.

But he also made some gaffes in the D-Zone, including one which led to a goal.

From my perspective, Pouliot is a serviceable #7 D... someone who would be useful on a team which has to go deep into the playoffs.  He is not good enough to play where he is now.... that's one of the reasons the Canucks are not a contender.

On the other hand, he is 25, which is still relatively young for a defenseman.  He will continue to develop and improve his skills if he gets regular playing time.  The question is.... is it worth keeping him on the ice in the hopes he will improve?  This year, maybe... next year with Hughes on the team and maybe Juolevi... maybe not.

3 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Does he [Pouliot] have a spot next season? What does he need to improve on?

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I predict the Canucks will re-sign him one more year as an extra safety-net. Canucks look to have Hughes in the line-up next year, and Pouliot is likely here as the odd man out. If Juolevi has a good camp or good start at the AHL and gets on the Canucks line up as a regular, then Pouliot would be traded for whatever JB can get back. I also foresee the Canucks to bring back Edler on a 2-year deal.

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

It’s been handy carrying 2 extra defnceman all year until we traded MDZ. Pouliot probably is on his best 5 game stretch of the season. I hope he keeps up the good play.

For the first half of the year I was very negative about Pouliot. He was trying to live up to his potential as a high draft pick offensive defeceman. But his offence was not good enough to sustain this role and he made too many mistakes in his own zone. When his PP duties were shifted to Hutton, the PP improved.

But he has improved his game a lot. He started by focusing on his defence -- trying to play well in his own end and avoid mistakes. That was a big help. Since then he has been adding some offense back to his game, especially the last two games. And tonight he made a great play on Baertschi's goal. The key is decision-making. He has offensive skills, he "just" has to make the right decisions -- when to attack to o-zone, when to hold back, etc.

If he can continue to play the way he has for past 5 or 6 games for the rest of the season I think the Canucks will re-sign him for sure (barring a trade). At present he is a legitimate third pairing D. And he is young enough that he still might improve. 

I hope and expect that the Canucks re-sign Edler and I certainly expect the Canucks to qualify and re-sign Hutton. So that takes care of two spots on the left side.

What about Hughes and Juolevi?

Most people, including me. expect Hughes to be on the team next.year. But we can't assume he will be on the team. While he is an outstanding skater and puck-handler, he has not yet shown he can play effectively at the NHL level. Even if Hughes does make the team out of camp, the Canucks need someone available as backup at the 7th man position. .

As for Juolevi, his injury has set him back. The "hope" is that he will be ready for camp next year. He might not be. Even if he is ready for camp, he will miss a summer of training and it will take time for  him to get back to where he was when he got injured. And even that level was not good enough for the NHL. He was picking up points in Utica and apparently playing big minutes in all situations. But he had the worst plus/minus on the team and certainly still had work to do on his defensive game even at the AHL level. I think it is very unlikely that Juolevi makes the Canucks out of camp next season and there is a reasonable chance he spends the entire year in Utica. And of course having these knee injuries at a young age is a red flag.

No one else in Utica or anywhere else in the system looks like an upgrade on Pouliot at LD at present.

Pouliot does not contribute much to the physical game but I don't see that changing. I think his best bet is to continue to focus on being good defensively. He is a good skater and he can handle the puck well. If he focuses on good puck retrieval and making a good first pass he can be very valuable in his own zone. He will also need to put a lot of energy into play in his own zone -- puck battles, etc. If he does that instead of thinking of offense first, I think he can survive in the NHL.

I am not a big fan of Pouliot. He is still a question mark and I hope Quinn Hughes comes in and earns a spot in the top 6 right away. But I think it would be too soon for the Canucks to give up on Pouliot unless they can trade him for a useful asset coming back  -- maybe a second round pick or equivalent prospect at the deadline, and I would not take anything less. .

He's been a real wildcard this season with arguably more bad than good but flashes of brilliance at times. I think it all depends on Hughes and Juolevi next season, but you never know, some defencemen do develop and pan out late and Pouliot may well be one of them so I wouldn't want to give up on him and get rid of him right away.

Hopefully we can re-sign Edler to a short term low cost deal to keep him around to mentor the kids and provide some physical presence. Got to keep Tanev around because without him we don't have many decent shutdown defencemen. Hutton and Gudbranson have been up and down this season too but Stecher has been brilliant.

We could go with something like this:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev 

Hughes - Gudbranson

Hutton

I'd keep Pouliot around though, ideally in Utica, because you never know how the kids will deal with the pressure and strain of an 82 game schedule.

At 25 with how our team is shaping for the future I'd say yes he will be around for another season or two. 

He is a plus 2 this season which is a far cry better then his minus 22.

And with no ideal what we have in olli juolevi or Hughes.

He could as well be a late bloomer like Brett Sopel was and give us a solid 4 or more seasons with 20+ points

I think once we get more stability in the D area we could see him more on the man advantage or more offensive zone coverage where he can utilize his offensive skills better. 

Archived