The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So Schmidt played on the right side in Vegas?

I imagine the other teams interested wanted Vegas to retain salary, which is why we ended up scoring him for a bargain. How do we afford this though?

Yeah. He played against some of the toughest competition for Vegas too.

I mean we were trying for OEL at 7 years at 8.25M and let Tanev/Toffoli walk so I don't think affording this will be a problem.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Take that Bennings haters !!!! Bennings Bennings what are you doing to me man !!!!!! LOVE 

Yes I agree buddy..Great move Jim Benning... Few hours ago there were the fans bashing him for not going after Toews...

Great move I see Capfriendly has him already on team 5.9 million X 5 years - 29 yrs old, 6'0...I sure like his speed and game, he will look great beside Hughes..

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I think the system will dictate some of that. Washington is far more run and gun than the team D system in Vegas.  My guess is he’ll be a little more of the Washington version. Vancouvers not exactly a strong D team.  Regardless it’s a good pickup 

I'm not sure, but I guess we'll see? I'm hoping for the 30ish point guy Vegas has had. 

At that price I can't complain too much, but I stand by my concerns. 

Ehh...would have wanted Vegas to retain a small chunk of cap, maybe up to $500k

If he records his usual 30-40 points/year pace and be modest defensively for the full deal, it's more than satisfactory

Edited by Neil HD

Good trade but that's another massive contract to take on again. Better hope it pans out. I do like him as a defenseman but I also think he's overpaid. We need to be searching for cheaper contracts, not more expensive ones. Personally I'd rather keep Tanev at 4 over Schmidt at 6.