The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames Sign Josh Leivo

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

?

This has nothing to do with LE. 

The team has enough contract spots - and could have signed Leivo - and waived Eriksson and saved the difference between the million and change that waiving LE gains, and Leivo's 875k.

Really - any team with contract spots (the Canucks have only used 43 of their 50) can sign these types of players - waive them or an alternative - and not have it cost them cap space.

I suppose we could have made it work, but it would be extremely tight. We're currently carrying 15 forwards and only 6 defensemen and we're 1.5m over the cap. One of those defensemen is Rathbone, who will be swapped with OJ and we'll save ~60k. Baertschi is most definitely getting waived so that brings us about 500k over the cap. The only other players we'd realistically waive are Loui, Roussel and maybe Beagle or Sutter. Let's say we waive Loui and not replace him; that would bring us to 13 forwards, 6 defensemen and 500k under the cap. We could replace Beagle or Sutter with Hawryluk and that would give us enough cap to bring up another D or two.

The only way I see it working is if we waived Roussel and replaced him with Leivo; but we've then waived 4 of our vets and I'm not sure how that makes us look to other UFAs in the future. He probably has a better opportunity in Calgary

We realistically need to either buy out Sutter, somehow trade him at 50% retained, trade Benn or if Ferland goes on LTIR; we're saved.

Am I wrong, or am I missing something? I didn't get much sleep last night and math makes my brain hurt

Edited by KeslerWho?

Now watch, Kelly Hrudey will be all praise for these 3 ex Canucks.

Hrudey will be saying every Saturday that, Markstrom is now the greatest goalie in the world  , Tanev is now the Best defensive Dman shot blocking machine in the world, Leivo is now the best 2 way forward in the world. 

oh well. I believe Jimbo filled the spots fine. I did like having Leivo as a good depth guy tho. 

Markstrom > Holtby

Tanev < Schmidt

Leivo ? Hawryluk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

I didn't even know if he could play. And with that JB lets slip the last useful player, we could have re-signed at a reasonable cap hit. Added to Toffoli, and Stecher. But we keep overpaid declining player cap hits Sutter, Rousell, Beagle, Erikkson.

Now all we need is two top six forwards, and a 5th defenceman at a good price

..........oh wait.

:picard:

Lol, bro, you should go out and get some fresh air

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

The Calgary Canucks will be great next season.

Only way they got better is if Marsktrom can continue his MVP like play.

Fans there will be quick to turn on the new ex Canuck if he doesn’t live up to his massive contract.

• Cheers 1

It's not the end of the world but Leivo at 875K (down from 1.5M) is the type of deal we should have been matching.

With us not exhausting the buy-out, you'd have to think Baertschi features in the plans this season, barring some deal.

12 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

It's not the end of the world but Leivo at 875K (down from 1.5M) is the type of deal we should have been matching.

With us not exhausting the buy-out, you'd have to think Baertschi features in the plans this season, barring some deal.

Or we felt there was no need to have cap tacked onto next year when we could easily waive a couple of guys and make us cap compliant. I honestly didn't really see room to keep Leivo for next year anyway and last thing we need is another injury risked player.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Ouch!!! That'd be so awkward... it's like asking your ex-wife to give you some love again coz you can't find a better woman!!! Just keep paying the alimony and don't look back plssssssss.... 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The amount of statements out there calling Leivo going to the Flames “not a good look” is hilarious. It’s like the hockey blog geeks are hoping for any small morsel of ammunition to get their clicks with. 

Pretty sure we are only a Corrado or Forsling away from the cup. To see Petey and Quinn wither on the vine is painful...

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1