The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

He was a PTO signing on a cheap 1 yr 1.2m deal who missed training camp. People expecting this guy to show up in his NYI playing form are delusional...There is a reason why he signed for cheap right before camp, his play has dropped off quite a bit last year in Calgary.

My buddy is a flames fan and he was telling me how bad he was last year, he was honestly shocked that he signed somewhere in the nhl for this season. I’m hoping he was wrong but so far not looking good

• Wat 1

REFEREES

Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Brad Meier #34
BM34.jpg
Games ’20-21 2 4
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 64 / 0 65 / 12
Career Games (Reg/PO) 177 / 0 1351 / 89
First NHL Game 10/24/16 10/23/99
Birthplace Medicine Hat, AB Dayton, OH

LINESMEN

Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Scott Cherrey #50
SC50.jpg
Games ’20-21 2 2
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 18 62 / 19
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1270 / 107 892 / 107
First NHL Game 11/1/00 10/6/07
Birthplace Vankleek Hill, ON Drayton, ON
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

My buddy is a flames fan and he was telling me how bad he was last year, he was honestly shocked that he signed somewhere in the nhl for this season. I’m hoping he was wrong but so far not looking good

It's early and big guys always seem to take a bit to get going. But I'm with you, not all that impressed with Hamonic yet. Hoping some home game, favorable match ups get him going. The Oilers put McD out every time Hamonic was on the ice and it was not pretty. 

• Cheers 1

Juolevi is out? Not too surprised. He’s been “fine” but I’m not convinced that, right now, Chatfield isn’t the slightly better player. Olli’s ceiling is much higher though. My preference would have been to let OJ continue his NHL development by playing as he hasn’t really been a contributing factor in our losses. But I suspect Green hopes he won’t have to shelter Chatfield as much....playing OJ 8 minutes a game means that old farts like Edler have to play too much.

16 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Yup, if he could help OJ in a bottom pair role during his rookie year and be used on the PK I would consider that a success. We have a 6m Giraffe who is being paid a Ton more who should be playing no less than 2nd pair with that contract he was gifted.

Hamonic should solely be on the bottom pair unless he outplays someone and earns that spot. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Someone needs to pound Kotnaniemi into the boards from behind tonight.

That little puke PURPOSEFULLY tried to mangle Pettersson 2 years ago.

For those who are unaware, he skated up behind Elias, 'scuse me bumped him, and after he checked both refs he wrapped his leg around our super star and fell to the ice.

Pettersson could have been catastrophically injured, and NO ONE did anything to that little puke.

There is a code in this game, and he 100% broke it.

With that said, I'm uncertain if anyone on this team has the spine to enforce it.

That’s exactly what happened - had a great view and was focused solely on EP every shift given it was my first chance to see him live.   Got quite a lot of flak for saying so at the time and a little since - even though I wasn’t the only one that saw it that way (Ken Cambell form THN wrote an article about cheap shots on stars and used it as an example - accidentally and for sure on purpose) ...

Given EPs comments I doubt he’s going to put us in penalty trouble - but for sure wouldn’t mind at all if he took it upon himself to even the score.    Too many vowels should have eyes in the back of his head - these things have a way of balancing the ledger, even a year or two later. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yup, if he could help OJ in a bottom pair role during his rookie year and be used on the PK I would consider that a success. We have a 6m Giraffe who is being paid a Ton more who should be playing no less than 2nd pair with that contract he was gifted.

Hamonic should solely be on the bottom pair unless he outplays someone and earns that spot. 

I personally feel Myers has had a good tenure as a Canuck. I'm surprised we haven't tried going for the following pairings:

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

PP1: Hughes, PP2: Schmidt/Myers

PK1: Edler Hamonic, PK 2: Juolevi/Schmidt/Myers

Edler and Myers were a good pairing last year and this would lower Hamonic's minutes, keeping him fresh for the PK and helping him find his legs after 11 months of not playing at game speed.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I personally feel Myers has had a good tenure as a Canuck. I'm surprised we haven't tried going for the following pairings:

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

PP1: Hughes, PP2: Schmidt/Myers

PK1: Edler Hamonic, PK 2: Juolevi/Schmidt/Myers

Edler and Myers were a good pairing last year and this would lower Hamonic's minutes, keeping him fresh for the PK and helping him find his legs after 11 months fo not playing at game speed.

I think Hughes makes a lot of Schmidt's puck moving strengths redundant if they were a pair and would rather have our best puck movers separated.
Also, until Hamonic starts to get comfortable on the ice, I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have with him paired with our greenest defenseman.

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I think Hughes makes a lot of Schmidt's puck moving strengths redundant if they were a pair and would rather have our best puck movers separated.
Also, until Hamonic starts to get comfortable on the ice, I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have with him paired with our greenest defenseman.

Fair point but I'd disagree there, having two puck moving d men does not necessarily cause redundancy, rather, they could feed off each other more and the group as a whole starts becoming more mobile and less predictable.

Myers and Juolevi are more than capable of being puck movers for their pair and Juolevi has shown he can handle third pair minutes well at this time.

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Fair point but I'd disagree there, having two puck moving d men does not necessarily cause redundancy, rather, they could feed off each other more and the group as a whole starts becoming more mobile and less predictable.

Myers and Juolevi are more than capable of being puck movers for their pair and Juolevi has shown he can handle third pair minutes well at this time.

True, we saw how effective that was in Byram/Drysdale very recently for Team Canada.
Neither Schmidt and Hamonic are 100% comfortable in the new system yet so hopefully when they both get going we'll see a lot more interesting combos.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

On the PP, I wish Pettersson would just shoot when he gets a pass in the slot, or better yet, do something different and drive the net. It's so predictable he intends to fire a one-timer - but he'll only do this if he receives the perfect pass from a team mate. Otherwise, he just passes it back and they try and again. Boring. There needs to be more attack. I really like Gaudette's 1st period last game, he had 4-5 scoring chances. Hoglander is a ball of energy and he's trying his best. Enough passive play. When that puck drops it's war against the opponent, not play time. Yes, I'm looking at you Hughes.  

Also needs to stop the slap pass across the ice. It doesn’t ever work...