The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

agreed. once you lower expectation of him, he's not that bad of a player. no eye boggling mistakes, but nothing great either. chips in here and there. 

Can work on his stickhandling tho and leverage his size a bit more

and he needs to stop that cheat move on defence where he lingers by the faceoff dot just outside the blueline a little too long.. he needs to get back into the zone and cover someone rather than waiting for a potential breakaway which rarely happens at the NHL level

Edited by rychicken
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

REFEREES

Reid Anderson #49
RA49.jpg
Kevin Pollock #33
KP33.jpg
Games ’20-21 Season Debut 4
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 11 / 0 62 / 6
Career Games (Reg/PO) 41 / 0 1369 / 205
First NHL Game 3/21/18 3/28/00
Birthplace Calgary, AB Kincardine, ON

LINESMEN

Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Scott Cherrey #50
SC50.jpg
Games ’20-21 3 3
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 18 62 / 19
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1271 / 107 893 / 107
First NHL Game 11/1/00 10/6/07
Birthplace Vankleek Hill, ON Drayton, ON
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To Ottawa

Roussel

3rd rd pick

I'm getting more and more of the opinion that getting rid of Roussel would help this team - even if it's just addition by subtraction.  Maybe we're not fully 'rebuilt' yet, but surely we're past the stage where we to justify him on the roster because we need his grit and veteran presence to 'insulate' the young guys. 

I'm just so sick of watching him take selfish/dumb penalties game after game.  If Jake and/or another young player took those penalties night after night......well........

• Cheers 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

I'm getting more and more of the opinion that getting rid of Roussel would help this team - even if it's just addition by subtraction.  Maybe we're not fully 'rebuilt' yet, but surely we're past the stage where we to justify him on the roster because we need his grit and veteran presence to 'insulate' the young guys. 

I'm just so sick of watching him take selfish/dumb penalties game after game.  If Jake and/or another young player took those penalties night after night......well........

I think he gets a ridiculous amount of 'reputation' penalties that are downright garbage calls.

I don't mind his game overall - but I'd love to get a young guy like Paul - who has all the indicators of a very good/valuable young two way player.  Very good faceoff guy at his age, strong physical game, excellent defensive instincts, great size - with some upside.  He'd be my #1 target among guys that might be somewhat undervalued - and his contract is very reasonable.  Not sure how much sweetener it would take - but - just do it imo.

The other aspect is banking a bit of Roussel's cap - any way that they can get rid of some of the EP and Hughes bonus cap up front this year imo is also a worthwhile 'bonus' imol

• Upvote 1

Just now, Topcheeze86 said:

Our goalies have been weak which is making us have to score 5+ a game we really need demko to grab the spot and run with it Holtbys rebound control etc has been trash 

adjusting to a new team from the opposite conference without a preseason. give it some time. 

14 minutes ago, rychicken said:

and he needs to stop that cheat move on defence where he lingers by the faceoff dot just outside the blueline a little too long.. he needs to get back into the zone and cover someone rather than waiting for a potential breakaway which rarely happens at the NHL level

I know who you're talking about without having to look at the actual conversation.

And I agree...noticed it a few times yesterday...especially late in the game.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The rust is understandable.

Regardless, though - I'm not sure he's the 'right' partner for Hughes (their struggles are compounding each other's).  Probably too early to say that - and right on the heels of a rough night can further skew impressions, but....

Hughes had a nightmare outing....15 ozone starts, 1 dzone, outshot 5on5, -4......

I feel like Hughes needs a highly mobile partner.

Maybe Chatfield could grow into that guy - (I know people will tend to knee-jerk reject the idea based largely on pedigree) but he does have a measure of that Tanev 'foundation' of quick decision making, good mobility and willingness to battle...

Had the same thoughts on Chatfield last night.  With injuries to the D I'd like to see him tried with Hughes but don't think Green would like that pair.

IIRC Hamonic opted out from last seasons return to play so the rust is understandable.  Hopefully he finds his rhythm during the home stand. 

• Cheers 1

Curious was there any particular reason why we have so many back to back games to start the season? It will even out throughout the season but honestly the lack or practice time the team gets to begin the season hurts as theres new players on the team and ppl getting used to each other. 2nd back to back in 6 games and another one next week 10 games in 16 days with 2 travel day in between. Most other teams have 0-1 back to back in their first 10 games 

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Should've done something like this before Free Agency, so we can re-sign Toffoli. It is pretty pointless to make the move right now as we can't really acquire anyone now with the extra cap space.

Problem with Benning is that I don't think he sees Beagle and Roussel contracts as problematic, I think when he was actively shopping out contracts, he was shopping Eriksson and Baertchi, which to no one's surprise, nobody has any interest in them. The probably movable ones were Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Benn's. He should've moved out atleast 1 of them to get any cap space he can to pick up useful depth in the off-season.

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I just remembered that awful breakdown leading to a point blank shot by Gallagher with less than 2 seconds left. 

Oh my we dodged a bullet last night. 

How have we given up 2 grade A chances off a defensive zone draw in the last 4 games like this. 

I don't remember a season we gave even one of these changes away during the entire season. 

Its 5 seconds. Just focus lol

I think that the coaches might want to reconsider which players are on the ice for these situations.

We also seem to miss Malhotra’s influence. I was listing to TO game last night and Matthews was 14 for 21 on faceoffs. 

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Curious was there any particular reason why we have so many back to back games to start the season? It will even out throughout the season but honestly the lack or practice time the team gets to begin the season hurts as theres new players on the team and ppl getting used to each other. 2nd back to back in 6 games and another one next week 10 games in 16 days with 2 travel day in between. Most other teams have 0-1 back to back in their first 10 games 

56 games in 110 days or something like that. Every team will be going through the same rough schedule.

Hope EP gets going.  We need him to work his alien magic.

If he still stumbles, maybe try juggling the lines and switch with Bo.  EP playing with Hogs and Pearson.  Maybe he can make a Swedish connection with Hogs.  Or maybe EP plays a bit more selfishly instead of looking to pass.  Dunno.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Should've done something like this before Free Agency, so we can re-sign Toffoli. It is pretty pointless to make the move right now as we can't really acquire anyone now with the extra cap space.

Problem with Benning is that I don't think he sees Beagle and Roussel contracts as problematic, I think when he was actively shopping out contracts, he was shopping Eriksson and Baertchi, which to no one's surprise, nobody has any interest in them. The probably movable ones were Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Benn's. He should've moved out atleast 1 of them to get any cap space he can to pick up useful depth in the off-season.

The reality is a player like Tyler Johnson could go through waivers and clear twice. That's a 40-50 point guy that could be had for free just to take on 5 million in cap. As "movable" as those mentioned may be, it would've still cost some asset(s) to rid of them cleanly. This was something we weren't going to do, especially for players that we could still find a spot for in the lineup, unlike Eriksson and Baertschi and thus why we were looking to move them if possible.

• Vintage 1