The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The I have Mixed Feelings about Jim Benning Chaosthread 3000

Rate this topic

Me_

The thing I find funny is how some people are convinced Benning's getting fired by the end of the season. From what I've seen in this league, if there's an actual problem to begin with, the coach gets fired first and then the GM often has like a year afterwards to turn things around. Considering Green hasn't been fired yet, we first need to determine if there's an actual problem. Do I need to remind us here that there is a pandemic going around which makes that a little more questionable this season despite our record?

Now, granted, Calgary and Montreal both fired their coaches, but I'd argue that both of those teams were supposed to be considered further along in their development as well. Calgary's in it to win it now while Montreal's.... well... Montreal. lol

So, I'd be really surprised if Benning's gone by the end of the year and it'll be funny to watch people lose their minds when they find out that he doesn't get fired. lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The thing I find funny is how some people are convinced Benning's getting fired by the end of the season. From what I've seen in this league, if there's an actual problem to begin with, the coach gets fired first and then the GM often has like a year afterwards to turn things around. Considering Green hasn't been fired yet, we first need to determine if there's an actual problem.

Problem is we've already been through that with Willie Desjardins being canned after three full NHL seasons.  His 'get out of jail card' was used.  I mean there are exceptions but rarely do GM's get to make such two mistakes in that decision (that is *assuming* Travis Green was a mistake) baring some real regular season success and/or post-season success.

But each situation *IS* different so who knows?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The thing I find funny is how some people are convinced Benning's getting fired by the end of the season. From what I've seen in this league, if there's an actual problem to begin with, the coach gets fired first and then the GM often has like a year afterwards to turn things around. Considering Green hasn't been fired yet, we first need to determine if there's an actual problem. Do I need to remind us here that there is a pandemic going around which makes that a little more questionable this season despite our record?

Now, granted, Calgary and Montreal both fired their coaches, but I'd argue that both of those teams were supposed to be considered further along in their development as well. Calgary's in it to win it now while Montreal's.... well... Montreal. lol

So, I'd be really surprised if Benning's gone by the end of the year and it'll be funny to watch people lose their minds when they find out that he doesn't get fired. lol

It's also worth noting that Montreal had a replacement who was already part of their coaching staff, and that Sutter is based out of Alberta 

These aren't minor details, having these guys already so close to the team/organization makes Covid realities and the coaching hunt much easier to handle 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Problem is we've already been through that with Willie Desjardins being canned after three full NHL seasons.  His 'get out of jail card' was used.  I mean there are exceptions but rarely do GM's get to make such two mistakes in that decision (that is *assuming* Travis Green was a mistake) baring some real regular season success and/or post-season success.

But each situation *IS* different so who knows?

WD was a long time ago at this point to the point where I'd argue it doesn't count as that firing. We literally now have more  years with Green as coach than we did WD as coach. Not only that, but there were a lot of rumours about how Green was being groomed first in the AHL to eventually be our coach anyway.

So I think with WD, he was more of an interim coach rather than Benning's "get out of jail card".

I think it's good you brought that up though, because I probably should have mentioned that in my initial post.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm fine with Benning. Weisbrod is who I have a problem with.

We need another cap genius like Laurence Gilman to help with out with managing the cap and player contracts. Benning's draft prowess is too valuable to give up. 

Yeah, I think future contracts will determine if Benning's learned from the past or not and I think we need to at least give him that chance.

Personally, I think this coming off-season will be crucial, perhaps the most crucial that we've had in a while. You have Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko to be signed. You start to free up some of the money from the contracts that are deemed questionable. If not this off-season, the off-season after practically gives Benning a clean slate as even Eriksson's gone at that point.

I'm curious though, what has Weisbrod done to garner the hate? I'm not trying to defend him or anything, I'm just curious as to what he's done as I haven't really paid much attention to him or his actions.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Come on - i've seen a lot better then that from you - go on - you can DO it.   List all the picks he's thrown away - as in Vey, Bear (Torts, Bieksa) - who else was it anyways from what i've read it seemed like dozens - ok Sutter right?  Or did we get a pick back from Kesler that went to McAan that went into Guddy who went into Pearson...man he wasted a lot of stuff, Motte, Lack pick, well someone did the math and it turns out over his tenure we are missing one second but gained a first ... whoops.  Doesn't fit the narrative.   Just like for those that complained about all the extra UFA payments - cried the most when we didn't sign TT... all his games ... like a lord he would have taken us over the top for sure ... Markstrom, well at least some JB bashers saw the contract he got and backed away ... but not all did and made themselves very noticeable during our start.   Now have since slithered under the bridge on that one.   

JB has done - compared to his peers - an above average job over his tenure.  Asked to re-tool - he did it - while rebuilding all along.   Stupid idea - absolutely - i know people that didn't want to re-sign Sedins and blow it up then ... that would have been wise.   Not on JB though is it?  

For sure high hopes expectations and standards matter.   Taken this long seems like a long time i'm sure to folks in their 30's or less.   Welcome to the new and "improved" NHL, where the average odds are every 32 years you can win a cup.   Send your complaints there / that's the correct target. 

Did you forget to log out of your alt account, oldnews?

What's with the excessive use of dashes?

Maybe a moderator check is in order...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Do I hate Jim?...hell no! Do I love Jim? Hell no!

What I dislike about Jim's style and decisions is............

1. His long term UFA signings

2. His slow start to the rebuild

3. His only going for a re-tool

4. His allowing Veterans to walk for free

5. His handling of his coaches 

While I’m not trying to take all blame away from Benning but if I recall correctly Aqualini didn’t want this team to go into a rebuild so Benning during his job interview told Aqualini that he could retool on the fly. So the retool I more so blame on management and Benning trying to make his employer happy.

10 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Have a competent GM come in and build the team using the young guys Benning has collected would be a dream. 

Benning just isn't that guy to take this team to the finish line with his cap mismanagement, asset mismanagement, and horrible pro scouting. 

Wrong thread. You want the:

The I Have Mixed feelings About Jim Benning Chaosthread 3000!

Because THAT’S the THREAD for YOU!

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah I've understood what Benning has tried to do with the Canucks over these 7 years.  The mixed results have been understandable and It has been interesting and entertaining. 

I love Benning for his drafting. He's drafted skilled character people with a high hockey IQ who seem perfectly suitable to playing Canucks Hockey.  The Canucks young core is about to become the Canucks core and will be supported by even more great young players.  Never before in the history of the Canucks have they had a pipeline like this.  The future is bright.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson

Hughes

Boeser

Demko

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Rathbone

Juolevi

All without a lottery pick.  Some even in later rounds.  8 stud players who will make a long term impact on this team for the next decade.  

THE most important point in building a contender is DRAFTING...

In Benning we Trust...

For the sake of argument let's say Benning is good at drafting. 

Drafting is just one part of being a good GM. 

It's also about making good trades, signing players to good deals and finding and keeping the right people in the organization both on and off the ice. 

The latter is even more concerning. Judd Brackett leaving and now Ian Clark not being signed an extension yet is something a good GM would and should have taken care of. 

And I don't know what is happening management but something tells me Benning isn't exactly someone who embraces new innovative ideas. And has shown he's more old school than looking further in things like Analytics. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Did you forget to log out of your alt account, oldnews?

What's with the excessive use of dashes?

Maybe a moderator check is in order...

What does any of this even mean - come on AV it's not like your Pat Quin  or something.   

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

For the sake of argument let's say Benning is good at drafting. 

Drafting is just one part of being a good GM. 

It's also about making good trades, signing players to good deals and finding and keeping the right people in the organization both on and off the ice. 

The latter is even more concerning. Judd Brackett leaving and now Ian Clark not being signed an extension yet is something a good GM would and should have taken care of. 

And I don't know what is happening management but something tells me Benning isn't exactly someone who embraces new innovative ideas. And has shown he's more old school than looking further in things like Analytics. 

I believe Judd wanted full control over the first 2 picks every year. 

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Personally, I think this coming off-season will be crucial, perhaps the most crucial that we've had in a while. You have Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko to be signed. You start to free up some of the money from the contracts that are deemed questionable.

Absolutely 100 percent. This upcoming trade deadline and off season will determine Benning's future in the organization. He knows this. And when he nails it, it will be time to start talking about a beautiful statue of Mr.Benning infront of the Rogers Arena. Can I get an amen!!!:metal: