The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nah. He's been a very serviceable defenseman in both Washington and Las Vegas. While some responsibility rests on his shoulders for his play, the systems that Baumgartner ran with allowed the Canucks to be the team with the highest amount of shots against in the league. 

he was Deemed expendable by both organizations to. 

I think he had down season but I wouldn’t be upset if he and/or Myers left. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

People's*

Unfortunately for you, you don't get to say who isn't smarter than you. Go walk away.

Unfortunately you started the personal attacks. Accusing me of thinking I am smarter than everyone else is a personal attack.  

You walk away or you can refute what I have to say by sticking with hockey and not throwing around personal insults.

By the way, there will be a solid defenseman available at 9. Lambos should be there and if not then he will have moved up and someone may drop.

Because of the lack of playing time for much of junior you could could see some interesting selections this year. 

Nothing is written in stone.

Stick with hockey and I will too.

• RoughGame 2

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

at least John buys your takes.

You’ll blindly defend anything lord benning acquires. I do love this trade, he gave up very little to land a good too 4 d man. IMO it just isn’t a fit for him here and there is no reason to be bashful about pointing that out. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

Unfortunately you started the personal attacks. Accusing me of thinking I am smarter than everyone else is a personal attack.  

You walk away or you can refute what I have to say by sticking with hockey and not throwing around personal insults.

By the way, there will be a solid defenseman available at 9. Lambos should be there and if not then he will have moved up and someone may drop.

Because of the lack of playing time for much of junior you could could see some interesting selections this year. 

Nothing is written in stone.

Stick with hockey and I will too.

The major point that was missed because you got defensive was that the top four defensemen could likely be gone by this time. Lambos or others are not rated as high. So your point that the Canucks can pick a 'really good' defenseman is worthy of criticism, especially with that condescending tone you gave off in the original post.

You were really smug in your responses, but when you lost those exchanges, you took this route. You're not a victim here.

Edited by Dazzle

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

You’ll blindly defend anything lord benning acquires. I do love this trade, he gave up very little to land a good too 4 d man. IMO it just isn’t a fit for him here and there is no reason to be bashful about pointing that out. 

you're a one-liner champion that postures via hyperbole/overstatement - and can't back it up with anything of substance.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Schmidt and his (almost) 6M can go, I’m ok with what we have in Myers if I need to choose between them.

sure Nate was acquired for nothing, but eat a good portion of our cap for nothing that great. We need his cap to land a top Dman and re sign Hamonic.

Hugues xxx

Rathbone Myers

xxx Hamonic 

definitively not sold on Juolevi, i give his icetime to Rathbone.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, oldnews said:

you're a one-liner champion that postures via hyperbole/overstatement - and can't back it up with anything of substance.

He seemed to try to do too much at times. This created some pretty epic turnovers. You don’t need to pull out your little analytics charts to show me how wrong I am either. He was acquired for basically nothing. I loved the trade and still love the trade. I like the player, I was over the moon when we got him. After watching this season I don’t think he is a fit. What exactly is wrong with having this view? What substance do I need to form this opinion? I watched the games, saw him play and here I am. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

He seemed to try to do too much at times. This created some pretty epic turnovers. You don’t need to pull out your little analytics charts to show me how wrong I am either. He was acquired for basically nothing. I loved the trade and still love the trade. I like the player, I was over the moon when we got him. After watching this season I don’t think he is a fit. What exactly is wrong with having this view? What substance do I need to form this opinion? I watched the games, saw him play and here I am. 

nothng wrong with your opinion.  you got the response you did because you lead with an ignorant "You’ll blindly defend anything lord benning acquires"  to which you can expect a gfy response.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That said, I'd have zero hesitation packaging him for say Ladd + Dobson.

Hi aGent. Think I've seen you post this notion elsewhere(I often scan semi-conciously). What's your strategy for Ladd's 5.5 AAV x2? How does this play with our other problem hits?

Have you also suggested Mayfield? Who are the 3 NYI are projected to protect?

It's interesting..but does it jive with JB's stated summer-intents?

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hi aGent. Think I've seen you post this notion elsewhere(I often scan semi-conciously). What's your strategy for Ladd's 5.5 AAV x2? How does this play with our other problem hits?

Have you also suggested Mayfield? Who are the 3 NYI are projected to protect?

It's interesting..but does it jive with JB's stated summer-intents?

-'Hometown' boy Ladd buried in the minors (as a player/coach in Abby) + Dobson's hit next year actually saves us a few hundred K vs Schmidt's hit next year. The year after, I'd hope he takes his $3m bonus and retires without his remaining $1m salary minus escrow etc (perhaps with an agreement for a coaching/management position in Abby).

-I'd love Mayfield as well/instead.

-I'd imagine they protect Puloch and Pelech plus one of Leddy/Mayfield.

-It sets us up for a Hughes-Dobson pair for the next ~decade. You tell me :P 

*In the interim, I'd see if Edler x 1 year and Hamonic x 2 years would be amiable to some cheaper deals to get us over the interim of getting Juolevi/Rathbone up to speed and continue Woo's development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Are you talking about Schmidt or Miller? 

• Vintage 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, aGENT said:

-'Hometown' boy Ladd buried in the minors (as a player/coach in Abby) + Dobson's hit next year actually saves us a few hundred K vs Schmidt's hit next year. The year after, I'd hope he takes his $3m bonus and retires without his remaining $1m salary minus escrow etc (perhaps with an agreement for a coaching/management position in Abby).

-I'd love Mayfield as well/instead.

-I'd imagine they protect Puloch and Pelech plus one of Leddy/Mayfield.

-It sets us up for a Hughes-Dobson pair for the next ~decade. You tell me :P 

*In the interim, I'd see if Edler x 1 year and Hamonic x 2 years would be amiable to some cheaper deals to get us over the interim of getting Juolevi/Rathbone up to speed and continue Woo's development.

do you take a Schmidt package for Dobson/Ladd if you are the NYI?

I'm not sure Dobson is a realistic target wadr.   It would certainly serve us to add a D we don't have to protect for one that we do - we'd be free to make another deal as well - perhaps take Mayfield next time lol.

The NYI already have to expose a roster defenseman - if they don't get out ahead of the e.d. with a deal....taking back Schmidt doesn't change that - it actually adds another necessary to protect defenseman to their mix.

You never know - but I hang up on that proposal pretty much the minute I hear it.

I think the more 'realistic' targets are players like Foote or Mayfield - but even then - we'd have to expose one of our existing D if they were not part of that deal.

It may actually turn out that the most realistic course is to let the e.d. pass and then see if Seattle find themselves in a situation like the VGK were in - where they  took a crapload of #4 - but then the market turned a general nose up at their attempts to flip some of them...

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

do you take a Schmidt package for Dobson/Ladd if you are the NYI?

I'm not sure Dobson is a realistic target wadr.   It would certainly serve us to add a D we don't have to protect for one that we do - we'd be free to make another deal as well - perhaps take Mayfield next time lol.

The NYI already have to expose a roster defenseman - if they don't get out ahead of the e.d. with a deal....taking back Schmidt doesn't change that - it actually adds another necessary to protect defenseman to their mix.

You never know - but I hang up on that proposal pretty much the minute I hear it.

I think the more 'realistic' targets are players like Foote or Mayfield - but even then - we'd have to expose one of our existing D if they were not part of that deal.

It may actually turn out that the most realistic course is to let the e.d. pass and then see if Seattle find themselves in a situation like the VGK were in - where they  took a crapload of #4 - but then the market turned a general nose up at their attempts to flip some of them...

I was suggesting this deal AFTER the ED. Schmidt would replace one of the veteran, prime aged D they're likely to lose.

And I already largely ran through this with BigTramFan (elsewhere), but no, I by no means feel it's a 'slam dunk'. And I feel we'd likely need to add to even start the conversation.

A lot would also hinge on how much better they feel their chances of winning a cup the next few years would be, minus Ladd and adding Schmidt (+ sweetener) vs how quickly they feel Dobson can get to that level.

And I agree, pre-ED, Mayfield and Foote are excellent targets (as well as post ED Seattle).

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

On 6/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, J-Dizzle said:

Are you talking about Schmidt or Miller? 

No doubt.    Miller was the only one left doing this on a regular basis after the rest of the team finally seemed to get the memo around game 15.... pass the puck across the slot how many times in our own end? 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.    Miller was the only one left doing this on a regular basis after the rest of the team finally seemed to get the memo around game 15.... pass the puck across the slot how many times in our own end? 

I'm a big Miller fan, but ya, those giveaways were painfull. Beer leugue.