The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

We will always have fans saying “why didnt we just sign dougie Hamilton from UFA for 10 years wtf fire JB!”

True, some will. But overall I think quick fix solutions have been the result of Aquilini and Benning completely misreading the landscape. More fans have seemed to be more accepting of an actual rebuild the past 5 years than any time I can remember as a Canucks fan.

Schmidt is better than Savard. However if Benning feels like he has a shot at Dougie Hamilton maybe moving Schmidt might make sense. There’s also Bennings love for Tyson Barrie. He’s wanted him for awhile now. Tyson Barrie under the right contract would be fine but I’m not too sure how much I’d like it because we already have Hughes and Rathbone as smaller offensive dmen. I don’t want the smallest defensive unit in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Schmidt is better than Savard. However if Benning feels like he has a shot at Dougie Hamilton maybe moving Schmidt might make sense. There’s also Bennings love for Tyson Barrie. He’s wanted him for awhile now. Tyson Barrie under the right contract would be fine but I’m not too sure how much I’d like it because we already have Hughes and Rathbone as smaller offensive dmen. I don’t want the smallest defensive unit in the NHL.

Pass on Barrie.

I would have taken him on a cheap deal last offseason. But it was obvious he wanted to play with McDavid to boost his stats and get a big payday.

He was a non factor on a team that was swept. Not what this team needs.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

i'ld rather they keep schmidt and walk away from edler. our defense is week now. hughes, schmidt and myers. the only reason i'ld trade schmidt is if i could get replacements for both him and edler. schmidt is better that how he and the team played last year. he can also be a mentor for rathbone.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dougie Hamilton is going to cost too much for the Canucks. Barrie isn’t the type of defensemen the team needs. Your right. Too many defenseman who are too small. We already have Rathbone and Hughes like you say and they’re quite small already, adding Barrie wouldn’t make much sense. 

Does Hamilton add grit to the backend?

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If you can get a younger dman or a high draft pick I would definitely explore moving Schmidt. Not sure Schmidt really fit the system and never found his niche with the team. Was he a powerplay guy? Was he a PK guy? Was he your shutdown guy? Down the stretch his mins went down and rarely saw above 20 mins of icetime where his TOI average with Vegas were between 21-23 mins. I know it takes time to adjust and even with a pandemic year made things even harder for him to jive with the team, but the risk is taking a chance for him to figure it out.

Love his personality but his cap hit and term scares me if he doesn't work out.  

However, the plan must be if Schmidt goes out, they have a plan to bring in another top 4 guy immediately, not a chance can they risk moving him and not getting another dman back into the system. 

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe my Schmidt + for Dobson and Ladd (after the ED) proposal will happen now! :lol:

Dobson is my dream. Exactly what the team needs… I would go so far as to say I would be willing to over pay for him lol. 

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe my Schmidt + for Dobson and Ladd (after the ED) proposal will happen now! :lol:

Trotz or Schmidt might not want a reunion with how things ended in Washington and Schmidt has a 10-team no trade. 

From RMNB: "Meanwhile, during Schmidt’s final season in Washington, he was a healthy scratch over 20 times. After the Caps landed Kevin Shattenkirk at the trade deadline, Trotz called Schmidt the team’s “7D” heading into the playoffs. It took an injury to Karl Alzner to get the sidelined Schmidt into the postseason lineup."

Lamoriello said he traded Toews because they have a lot of faith in Dobson and wanted to give him the opportunity.  The return for Toews was only 2x 2nd round picks and he plays even more minutes than Makar in Colorado and signed a very reasonable 4.1M contract.   NYI were already in win now mode and had just reached the conference final in the bubble.  Don't see why they would want a more experienced D now - Dobson has 1 year more experience and is only going to get better.  

NYI has so little cap space and need Dobson and his ELC.  Ladd buried + Dobson is less than Schmidt and every cent is going to count per Staple.