The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks ever be able to win the cup without a top three pick?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Lol. This is why we sign Taylor Hall for a huge 2-year contract this off-season. Not only does it give us a top 6 winger, but as the OP said, it increases our chances to win a Cup the next 2 years, and the Taylor Hall draft luck gets us the 1 OA the next 2 drafts and gets us Wright and Bedard. :P

Exactly. Sign Hall to a 2 year, $26 million deal, give up on the next two seasons, trade everyone over 25 on the roster for futures, win the lottery twice, Cupz baby. 

Obviously it’s easier to build a championship team if you have top-3 picks, because those picks almost always yield either a 1C or a 1D, which are probably the most important pieces to secure in building teams.

On the other hand, if we say that top-3 picks have 15 year careers, then there would be 45 of them playing in the NHL at any time. Pretty good odds most teams would have one, especially back when it was a 12 team league, and just given contending and rebuilding cycles, and the old lottery system and the drafts pre-lottery.

What I’d be interested to know is how many teams since 1971 didn’t have a top-3 pick on their roster?

I suspect that’s a small number.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

You watch the Vegas/Avs series and start to realize how far the Canucks have to go. IMHO they will be competing for a CUP in two years but they won’t be serious contenders.

Agreed...the Canucks will be pretenders for the next 2-3 seasons, and will emerge as a contender in 3-4 seasons. 

Back to question being asked...

As many have said already, Pettersson and Hughes would most likely go in the top 3 in a re-draft, and quite possibly in a few seasons, Podkolzin will probably spoken in the same way.  So, hogwash to the theory presented.  But just the hedge our bets, JB should run out and sign Yakupov and bring Daigle out of retirement and re-sign Gudbrandson. 

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1

I’m not convinced QH or EP are elite NHL players who can carry a team to the cup. I still believe we need our crown jewel. This doesn’t need to come from a top 3 pick but it would definitely increase those chances. I don’t think that player is even in this years draft. The only dark horse in our core that has the potential to be our Savour is Demko. 

Yes.

2008 Detroit: Brad Stuart?

Even 2011 Boston: Seguin was a rookie 4th liner and Horton barely played.

1994 Rangers: Ed Olczyk?

Don't think it matters. What matters is having talented players no matter where they are drafted.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’m not convinced QH or EP are elite NHL players who can carry a team to the cup. I still believe we need our crown jewel. This doesn’t need to come from a top 3 pick but it would definitely increase those chances. I don’t think that player is even in this years draft. The only dark horse in our core that has the potential to be our Savour is Demko. 

I've found, when looking at previous Cup winners, that there are very few that haven't won it as a team. Certainly, specific players tend to show up big in certain games, but overall, it's won because everyone chips in. Only goalies have really stolen games.

To me, the Canucks have quite a few exceptional players in the beginnings of their careers. They could use a few more, including a right handed, first pairing, true number one defenseman. 

The player may end up being traded for rather than drafted.  

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, tas said:

definitely, if the canucks had been able to draft hischier or patrick instead of petey, they would have a couple cups by now no doubt. 

it's as silly a concept as the "eUrO cApTaInS dOnT wIn CuPs!!!" nonsense from the past. 

Even more so, over the years the Canucks have had five, #1 OA players on their roster:

Garry Monahan 1967

Mel Bridgman 1975

Doug Wickenheiser 1980

Mats Sundin 1989

Ed Jovanovski 1994

As well as these guys, there were also a number of close calls of guys who were almost traded here, or almost signed as a UFA.

regards,  G.

• Vintage 1

its not that hard getting 1st 2nd or 3rd overall pick.    Erik Gudbranson, Nail Yakupov, Nugent Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Ryan Murray, Alex Galchenyuk, Dylan Strome Can be had for nothing at all just gotta sign em.  You could trade for Huberdau or ekblad or reinhart or laine, eichel

They're available all the time we had Hank and Danny and Raffi in 2011  we didn't win