The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Not really.  Still a W.  Be real, you would of hated any move he made unless it was some unrealistic trade you had in your mind.

Sure you know me so well. 
We rid ourselves of 3 bad contracts for 1 year and take back a bad contract for 6 years and give up a top 10 pick, thats not a win for us,
desperate gm making desperate moves 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Had a chance to digest this deal:

Garland is a good top 6 player, his contract will dictate how good this deal turns out to be as he’s an RFA. I like OEL, he will rebound and have 4 good years, last 2 years may not be so good. I like this but wish the 2nd wasn’t included and that Arizona retained 2-2.5million

as Cam Robinson noted on Twitter:

“Vancouver will have one 1st round pick, one 2nd round pick, and one 3rd round pick spread over 2020, 2021, and 2022 drafts. They were 24th in the league this past season.”

this is the part that makes me hesitant, Jim better have another trade to get back some picks, for being a supposed “draft genius” he sure doesn’t like using those picks

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, if I'm doing my math right, we now have about 22.3 million in cap space, with Ferland on LTIR, and the Luongo recapture.

Even if we had to buy out Holtby (pretty sure we can trade him), and Virtanen (Pretty sure we can't trade him), that would give us an additional 6.3 million, a total of 28.6 million in cap space going into free agency. Just by subtraction, we've improved the team and team speed (not that Beagle was slow).

Getting rid of LE, it's like a huge boat anchor has been lifted off of us, we're younger and faster, especially when you take into account the Dickinson trade as well.

Suddenly, it would be realistic to explore long-term deals for Pettersson and Hughes.

Ohh yeah man. People don’t realize the amount of space buying out Virtanen and trading Holtby gives us. Then we have the Schmidt situation. 

• Cheers 2

I don’t know if OEL would be able to hit 40+ points consistently. Quinn Hughes quarterbacks our first unit PP, so OEL would be pushed to the second unit. And we all know that our first unit stays out for 75% of the power play, so OEL would barely get minutes. Hopefully his 5 on 5 offensive play is decent. 

37 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Virtanen is toast.  Hopefully Schmidt too, he does not want to be here.

Changed his mind after the trade.  He loves it.  Asked JB to take his name out of any further discussions.  That's my surmise anyway

2 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Its almost like I could breath a little easier after seeing this trade. 

Right there with ya. I'm actually liking this more and more as I look at the possibilities that just opened up for our roster. Suddenly, there's room for Lockwood, who looked like he belonged at the end of last season.

• Cheers 1

So... assuming Schmidt stays and we sign a UFA on the D, we could look something like:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson/Hoglander Horvat Garland/Podkolzin
Hoglander/Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin/Garland
Motte Sutter Highmore
Bailey

Hughes OEL
Savard Schmidt
Rathbone Myers
OJ

Not necessarily a lot of star power there, but to me, a very solid team.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tight indeed. 18.7M at the moment, say a Virtanen buyout gives us an extra 1.2M relief and we're at 20M.

Petey - 7M

Hughes - 5M

Garland - 3M

Dickinson - 2M

Sutter - 1M

Hamonic - 2M

Juolevi - 1M 

That's 21M including those contracts so would be pretty close and they're pretty conservative estimates.

Factor in Ferland LTIR also.  We in good shape.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yes. For the first year. After that, we are the ones with the ongoing cap hit and they are only responsible for the salary retention. So put in that light, it's not quite as rosy. Then you consider all the picks being sent, and it's not at all as rosy as your statement.

I'm not sure if I'm super keen on this or not. But I will say that it does make our team a lot more competitive right away, which was clearly the intention.

Will you be crying when we win the cup?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Benning paying dearly to get rid of the $&!#ty contracts he signed

That's the same thought I keep having - this is like his own admission that he signs horrible contracts. And they were almost finally over before he traded them for another bad contract.

Oh well. 

I guess it's a gamble - hopefully this one turns out well.

• Upvote 1

I'm not one to be overly dramatic so believe me when I say this.  I read this news and got dizzy LOL!  (I think it was a headrush of some kind)

So many passionate opinions and meanwhile I'm just trying to absorb it in general haha

• Cheers 1