The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Anyhow...I'm really not one to throw our players under the bus and getting dragged into this doesn't feel right.  Love Quinn and Petey but no player is bigger than the team.

A contract dispute makes for a fine line to walk, sometimes when sticking up for your team it comes close to dissing the players involved. I keep trying to remember that everything about this right now is just speculation. I expect at some time in the next 10 days the signings will be announced and both guys will sit at the podium with big smiles and tell us how happy they are to be Canucks and that they think the team will be in the playoffs and yadda, yadda…all will be forgiven. Now if that doesn’t happen all bets are off for me and it is team over individual for both of them. I’ll crap all over them at that time if it feels warranted.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/19/2021 at 12:19 AM, Apricot said:

Lets try something new

PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW PETEY SIGNED TOMORROW 

:lol::bigblush:

Well clearly this didnt work 

• Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

i mean to be fair to QH when he first came to vancouver, he was doing well with Luke Schenn.. so we got rid of him.. next year he's doing well with Tanev.. we can't afford him.. then last year we just rotate defenseman to play with him and to be fair he wasn't great but none of the rotating defenseman we stick with him compliments his style of play anyways. you guys keep going on oh so and so is better than him +/- etc etc etc so QH must be terrible on defense and he's the problem.. well maybe Edler works with Schmidt or myer or something that's why they work better? but none of those compliments QH's style of hockey so none really works with him and they just make QH look worse than he really is. QH worked well in previous season with a stay at home defense first Dman.. none of the Dman we have on the roster even remotely close to fitting that description hence he struggled with most if not all of his partner. the closest we have prolly this year is poolman.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Also what is with this new trend of one brother who is under contract with another team, Sitting infront of a camera completely crapping on another franchise pretty much saying "pay my brother or we will convince him not to sign". This has to be pushing the limits of some type of tampering no?

Young kids in this league are getting real entitled reeeeaaal fast. Must have something to do with these huge blank checks being handed over at 21 yo getting to their egos. 

No kidding 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Whilenit would be classy for the guys to take a bit of a discount to help build the kind of winning team they want, I am perfectly fine with us paying what these guys are worth. 

I'm just not cool with paying them *more* than they're worth. Some of the comparables I've heard named and some recent absurd contracts for top players really make it challenging to get what most of us would consider fair value.

Exactly, we somehow shot up from Barzal's 7x3 to these ridiculous numbers.  

This is mainly the fault of Rick Dhaliwal being such a mouthpiece for the agents, but now they are putting it in the public discourse that somehow Kiril Kaprizov's contract would be a comparable.  A contract that's not even signed.  

Logically, this is not a comparable as it's an event that hasn't happened.  They are trying to pump up Kaprizov's value and using all these players as leverage against each other and mostly against the teams.  

JP Barry is a slimeball.  This is the same guy that went on air last season and just laughed when asked about Loui's contract and how he has performed.  

57 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I dont care as much about Jack’s comments as I do comments from our own fan base. I said F U to Jack, I am more disgusted with “fans”for saying this team was one of the worst teams. To follow this team and call them the worst team in the league and completely dismiss what this team went through, as a team is downright ignorant. The boys went through absolute hell and I will not stand for anyone bashing this team as a fan after what they went through. They finished low, but they were a lot better than what the standings if it wasnt for COVID.

I guess in some way you're right but while maybe it wasn't entirely their fault the bottom line is it sure was a horrible season. I personally don't think we are one of the worst teams but I'm not going to waste a second listing excuses and trying to defend that season either. If I'm talking to another fanbase I'm fully admitting we were horrible last year but I'm optimistic regarding our upcoming year and will let that one do the talking.

Soooo, hopefully those clowns sign soon! ::D :canucks::canucks: ::D

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why?  This is on Petey and Hughes.  I'd say most fans want to see JB stand his ground........no one wants this team to go down the TO path if possible.

To me, this looks bad on #40 and #43, not on JB

You are right.

The agents have let out through Dhaliwal and other mouthpieces that the comparables should be Marner at 10.9M x 6 years for Petey, and Makar at 9M x 6 for Hughes.

If that is their position then no doubt this will drag on until the beginning of the regular season as that money is not available.

I expect both Pettersson and Hughes miss all of training camp and almost all of preseason before deals are signed,  When they sign I expect they will sign shorter, cheaper, bridge deals - which could have been signed 3 months ago. 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If QH and EP don't upset the apple cart before or during preseason, this team has a great shot of doing something this year.  Benning said the team is 2 years away from contending but I think they will be a strong team this year.  

100% this team is going to be exciting to watch. I feel confident about the roster we have and that we can be a playoff team and make some noise. Our window is just opening and I think with just a little bit more experience playing at the NHL level to go with all the talent, heart and perseverance this club has… we are going to be headed for a great run. If you look at some of the usual contenders, they are pretty old… we are closing in on the careers of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Malkin, Crosby, Bergeron, we are only a handful of years away from seeing some of the most dominant players the last 15 years, call it a career. While teams like Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh are all past their best before dates and are heading towards an inevitable retool/rebuild, Vancouver is on the ascension. Teams like Vegas, Nashville, Dallas, St. Louis, New York Islanders, Winnipeg are all kinda hitting that plateau and are going to start regressing…  They have a few young guys on those teams, but they have quite a few 28+ guys. I feel like Vancouver is on the climb at the right time and if teams like Toronto and Edmonton cant build a team around 2-3 players taking up 10+mil, their window to win will be very short and they may very well see a big start moved out of town to help afford building an actual team and not a one or two man show. Its all about timing… and I feel like this is good timing for us. I think Colorado, Florida and Carolina are going to be challenging teams as our window really begins, luckily for us our window is opening later than those teams. Our peak will be shortly after those top teams plateau… there will be some other teams on our heels, but they will have to go through some growing pains and get some experience under their belts just like we are starting to do.

I think we can all agree that Vancouver is better than

SJS

LAK

ANA

ARI

DET

BUF - on paper they should be much better

CBJ

NJD

OTT - Gunna be a sick team in a couple years

CHI

MTL

NYR 

CGY

PHI

MIN - I feel like last year was a fluke for them getting into the playoffs based on the division they were in. Kaprizov is sick, but I feel they aren’t quite there yet.

Teams who are heading down the hill

BOS

WSH

PIT

Teams whos window is closing in the next couple years

TBL

VGK

DAL

NSH

WPG

STL

NYI

Teams whos window is open but not convincing

TOR

EDM

These 2 teams are relying far too much on star power and not a team game. As we saw with McDavid in the WPG series, they played the living crap out of him in that 4th and final game and he could hardly skate in the overtimes, he was played a ridiculous amount. As for TO they have failed every year to win the big games and its been due to depth.

Teams whos window is open and will be for a few years

COL

FLA

CAR

TBD 

SEA

Vancouvers window has just begun to open.

Thats my take and how i see the future and the way I personally view the way its trending in the league and I think we are going to hit our peak at the right time.

Despite the pressure of this coming season I hope JB sticks to his guns here and squeezes as much as he can out of these contracts.  If we have to watch preseason games of:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Podkolzin-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Highmore 

Lockwood-Sutter-Macewen

OEL-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

That could still be fun to see.  Just thought it was interesting how Dickinson/Garland/Podkolzin and OEL in particular help us still look like a half decent team without our two best players.  Hughes might get a little antsy watching OEL run “his” power play.  

Obviously we’re a much much better with them on board though - hope something gets done soon!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

9mill for EP... where have you heard that? 
Why not just give them 11M or whatever they demand, and fill the rest of the team with plugs??

Benning is trying to build a team.

Slagging off Poolmans 2.5M ( have you ever seen him play) and Pearson, who gave Bo some stability, and will be a very good 3rd liner, should he end up there... is a weird way of going about the business. How long are you prepared to wait for us to compete?

They may acually be willing to give EP 9M but surely they wanna see QH with stronger  defensive numbers before they give him anywhere near that. 

Loui gave Horvat stability and look what happened to him. 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Despite the pressure of this coming season I hope JB sticks to his guns here and squeezes as much as he can out of these contracts.  If we have to watch preseason games of:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Podkolzin-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Highmore 

Lockwood-Sutter-Macewen

OEL-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

That could still be fun to see.  Just thought it was interesting how Dickinson/Garland/Podkolzin and OEL in particular help us still look like a half decent team without our two best players.  Hughes might get a little antsy watching OEL run “his” power play.  

Obviously we’re a much much better with them on board though - hope something gets done soon!

Plus, when we start winning with that lineup as we were starting to do without Pety prior to Covid, they will not have a leg to stand on. 

Maybe there are openings on the KHL teams that Virtanen went to and Podkolzin vacated.

Quite interesting the perspectives on the Jack Hughes comments. I for one have no problem with what he said. Nor do I think it is some form of entitlement. Brother is just stating some obvious facts. Ya we did suck for many reasons including the cards we were dealt last season. It was easy to pin things on Quinn last year considering he played more then any other player last year.

How about Jack. I wonder what it’s like to be known as a BUST when the guy hadn’t even reached 20 years old. Fans are crazy and have crazy expectations sometimes. I think the comments where more or less like he knows how his brother feels regarding media/fans questioning the young guys play. Quinns a very skilled player and will only get better so ya he probably does deserve the money. 

Not sure what Jack Hughes is chirping about.  For a 1st overall pick his numbers are pretty average.  Hoglander has at least equal numbers to him if you look at each player's first season.  Hoglander may end up one of the best players in the entire 2019 draft.  And Podkolzin may end up better than both Hughes and Hoglander.

• Vintage 1