The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Home Opener! Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks | Tuesday, October 26th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PDT | Sportsnet One, SN650

Rate this topic

goalie13

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Aww poor Podkolzin. Just hating life. He's probably going to demand a trade after that evil Mr. Green didn't play him the last 2 games.

He was relegated to the 4th line in Russia as well. He's learned to deal with having to claw for his ice time. Green is saying everything right in insisting they are excited about him, and I don't personally mind them easing him into the league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well for one none of us are privy to what goes on in practice and behind closed doors.    And one could counter, it was Travis Green that fixed our PP, which was awful for years, by adding Brock Boeser (a rookie with a lethal shot i'm sure he saw during practice) to it.   Really who wasn't bored of the washing machine cycle spin game the Sedins endlessly did by then?   The league figured us out in 2011.    Took note, and it went from the number one PP to ... well by then 23rd.    By the time Brock  Boeser got injured, it went all the way up to 9th.

It's not like Travis Green doesn't have the willingness to actually play these guys.  What he won't do, is play them if he doesn't think they are ready.   He's trying to win a Stanley Cup.   At least he freaking better be.   As another poster pointed out, Dowling wins face offs.   

I'm sure, just like all of JVs 312ish NHL games, Podz will get a ton of chances given his draft slot.    Guys like Hogs, Motte and even Adam Gaudette have to really work for it.   Not like the early first rounders don't too, but they get a distinct advantage for being better at a younger age.   Wouldn't read too much into it, the season has barely started.   Just like Brock Boeser's rookie season...he wasn't on the first power play unit right away, and if he's going to bump a vet...then he needs to earn it as well. 

Nothing about our power play this year or last suggests it’s fixed. It’s even worse this year actually. And it’s actually very similar to the pp the Sedins were putting out near the end except at least they moved around a bit.

Putting a talented shooter on the pp isn’t exactly a next level coaching move. It’s kind of common sense really. I would say Boeser is even better now yet he is on the 2nd unit a lot. And when he is on PP1, he never really gets the puck. It’s Miller to Hughes to Petey pretty much every time. Other teams cheat so bad to stop that setup it’s almost comical a pk can get away with it.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is what irritates me about Green. Why is our main sniper(Boeser) on the 2nd PP as well as our more creative leading point getter(Garland)? 

I don't even mind Chiasson as a net front presence but are you putting him ahead of the likes of Garland and Boeser?

We all know that the #1 PP unit gets pretty much all of the PP time so how does this set up make any sense at all? Anyone?

:picard: 

Need someone in front of net.  I think moving Bo back to second unit makes more sense, JT can take face-off.

Thinking this could be a good night for the Lotto Line and Hughes. The atmosphere should be electric, home-opener (finally) and the first home game with fans for some time. Going to the game on Sat against EDM, but this one should be really great to be at. Let's make it 3 in a row!!!  :towel:

13 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Tomorrow's my 30th birthday and I'm going to the game with two of my best pals! SO STOKED!

Gonna try and make it down in time to watch the warmups which I've never been able to do before (of course my new job is sending me on site visits tomorrow but I should be able to leave work early).

I will start one chant (Go Canucks Go or otherwise) from the Larscheiders fan section for every upvote this gets. Mods you should probably pin this post :P

Start the Myers chant in warmup. We need him amped up for his first shift!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nothing about our power play this year or last suggests it’s fixed. It’s even worse this year actually. And it’s actually very similar to the pp the Sedins were putting out near the end except at least they moved around a bit.

Putting a talented shooter on the pp isn’t exactly a next level coaching move. It’s kind of common sense really. I would say Boeser is even better now yet he is on the 2nd unit a lot. And when he is on PP1, he never really gets the puck. It’s Miller to Hughes to Petey pretty much every time. Other teams cheat so bad to stop that setup it’s almost comical a pk can get away with it.

I sitll think its early with this group. Yes our PP looks stagnant but I have faith in the people here to fix it.

The bumper pass to Horvat started last year.  Before that it was the sedin tip pass/shot.  I would almost put Miller down to PP2 and use him in the same way as Horvat. I don't like it when Miller or Petey over handle the puck. I think they are the highest turnover guys on our PP and I dont remember the last time Miller doing the curl at the top of the blueline and receiving the puck has done anything. He's still North South so the defenders stay in their lanes and they dont get stretched.

I also think Hughes is amazing at puck entry on the PP.

I think guys like Garland and Hogs are great at puck entry as well. 

We need at least 1/2 guys per PP that can help bring the puck in and set it up.  THat's how you maximize the 2 minutes.

The success with Horvat at bumper should theoretically prevent pk forwards cheating up to cover our defensemen and keep them below the hashmarks.

Guys like Miller and Horvat need to be used as both netfront position and bumper. We cant have both Chiasson being netfront and Horvat being bumper.  Horvat needs to be the one skating around and screening the goalie and then slipping back to find the soft spot on the ice. This keeps opposing d and forwards moving and having to communicate whos covering Horvat/Miller.

Once that happens, it should free up our D like Hughes and Ekman-Larsson to get their shots through from the point. 

There is also a disconnect. WHen we are using Horvat in this type of situation, it congests the slot and so, of course we wont see cross ice passes that make it through yet we keep trying.

I think we have to figure out personnel.

Not convinced Chiasson should be there and not convinced Pearson should be there.

Pearson has better hands than Chiasson though.

If it was me I'd go

PP1

Hoglander Horvat Garland

OEL Rathbone

Small line for sure but I can actualyl see a lot of greasy goals coming from this line. EIther Horvat scores on the bumper or OEL gets his shot through and I can see the quickness of Garland or Hogs jumping on a lose puck and burying it. We have a man advantage. We dont need to go size for size. Quickness, agressiveness and skill will beat a big 4 man PK and we still have a good netfront presence with Horvat.

PP2

Boeser Miller Pearson

Hughes Petterson

This unit might struggle. I can see puck entry being the challenge here. They need to work as a team to figure out how to increase efficiency on puck entries.  They are all smart players and one could argue that they are the top 5 scorers / skilled players on our team. If they know that this is their unit, if they somehow find a way to click, this could end up being a deadly PP. It really depends on Miller and Pearson being disruptive in front of the net to free up Petterson and Boeser. 

Miller needs to accept the role that he's not playing the role of sniper but more a crash and bang guy with the occasion slip to bumper.

I would use this as basically 2 first unit PPs and throw out whichever line first.

They should all practice the same way so that they are interchangeable.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

The time is now to set a new identity at home. Assert your territory, don't be fun to play against and don't take crap from your opponents. Even if it means a PK, Nuck identity is worth too much to sacrifice.

GCG!

I feel like they've changed their identity with releasing Jake, Loui, Beagle etc., and bringing in Garland, Dickinson and OEL. Tougher to play against for sure IMO. Adding Chiasson, Lammikko and Burroughs too, bigger and grittier. And then there's Podkolzin, who should develop into a very good player with size and strength.  

and if they add Hamonic again soon, well, they might just beat up on some teams 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

I'm so excited for this game. Even sitting on the couch at home hearing the fans in the arena just changes my atmosphere. Time to crank up the surround sound! Love catching the odd fan swearing or yelling at the reff. Or peeking in behind Ian Mac as him and Murph are chatting it out at intermission.

It's the little things I miss.

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by JayDangles
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

The amount of complaining about Miller is astounding to me. He's our top point producer, physical, and can take faceoffs all for a cap hit of 5.5 mil (basically 2nd line money).

He's always put up points.  I think what drives people nuts (and I would bet his coaches too) is his somewhat indifference to the game.  If he makes a mistake, he'll often just stand there with this defeated look on his face and then slowly skate back to the bench.  He's not the guy that makes a mistake and then hussles back to try and recover from it.  We're a better team with him on the ice, but he is a frustrating player to watch sometimes.

• Upvote 1