The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kyle Turris

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wouldn't mind claiming Turris. Right hand center, still a useful center who can play PK or PP2. 

Without Miller and Horvat out, and Petey still finding his way through his rut, it would be nice to add some depth. Especially if Miller eventually is dealt.

I agree with this. I see a temporary spot for him on our line up. He'll likely see it as his last chance to stay at the NHL + playing for his hometown team so we might see an improvement on his performance. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wouldn't mind claiming Turris. Right hand center, still a useful center who can play PK or PP2. 

To replace who exactly? Not Miller, not Bo, not Petey, not Dickinson, not Lammiko. Highmore and Motte can also play centre. The PK has greatly improved under Boudreau, and where does Turris fit among forwards Boeser, Petey, Miller, Horvat, Garland, Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin on the power play? Final question: If he couldn't be successful with four other NHL teams, what on earth makes you think he'd suddenly be a valuable penalty killer and power play guy?

48 minutes ago, khay said:

We can take Koskinen back.

Edmonton 1st + Koskinen for Halak.

And watch Koskinen put up .910 save percentage behind our team that actually tries to play defence.

That Edmonton 1st has chance to be 1st overall (given the past history) so I doubt they trade it.

Why would we subject our team to that sieve?  Neither Koskinen or the Oilers D belong in the NHL.  I'd rather give the Zamboni driver a shot than Koskinen.

44 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Depends on how I feel about my abilities as a goaltender.  If I am confident in my abilities, and see that EDM just has crappy goaltending, then why not?  I'd be the #1 there, not a backup.

And I would get my $1.5 million bonus as well. I do agree though it is almost impossible they give up there 1st. 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why would we subject our team to that sieve?  Neither Koskinen or the Oilers D belong in the NHL.  I'd rather give the Zamboni driver a shot than Koskinen.

If we trade Halak, we need a backup.

Given Koskinen some time with Ian Clark and his warts would be fixed.

I don't think Koskinen is as terrible as his stats indicate -- it's the Oilers team in front of him that is more at fault.

If we can get a potential lottery pick out from Edmonton, I'd give them Halak and take back Koskinen.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

If we trade Halak, we need a backup.

Given Koskinen some time with Ian Clark and his warts would be fixed.

I don't think Koskinen is as terrible as his stats indicate -- it's the Oilers team in front of him that is more at fault.

If we can get a potential lottery pick out from Edmonton, I'd give them Halak and take back Koskinen.

We have three guys in Abbotsford who are better options then Koskinen, who belongs in the ECHL.  Even if he's better than he appears, that does not mean that playing him is acceptable.  I'd take Koskinen but I sure as hell wouldn't play him.

Edited by King Heffy

47 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think they have issues with forwards.

Almost 40% of their goals come from 2 players and 2 players alone. The 3rd place point-getter (RNH) has less than half the points of their 2nd place player (McDavid).

I think they have issues with forwards.

32 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Without Miller and Horvat out, and Petey still finding his way through his rut, it would be nice to add some depth. Especially if Miller eventually is dealt.

We are so short of bodies this may be a band aid necessity.  If his contract was a little less it would be easy as it could be completely buried if we get players back and he flames out.

It also isn’t unreasonable to just let the cards fall as they will and let JR see some prospects play for a few games to assess things.  We will sure get a chance to see what our minor league goalies can do over the next bit.  Maybe if one of them can keep their head above water we can push to trade Halak a little harder 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

To replace who exactly? Not Miller, not Bo, not Petey, not Dickinson, not Lammiko. Highmore and Motte can also play centre. The PK has greatly improved under Boudreau, and where does Turris fit among forwards Boeser, Petey, Miller, Horvat, Garland, Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin on the power play? Final question: If he couldn't be successful with four other NHL teams, what on earth makes you think he'd suddenly be a valuable penalty killer and power play guy?

With the trade rumors surrounding Miller, there would be an opening in the middle. Miller and Bo are out with covid, Dickinson isn't a natural center, and Lammikko is a fourth line center at best. Highmore and Motte have never played center at the NHL level so you mentioning them makes no sense. It gives you options and flexibility moving forward.

Its about looking at holes, projecting at potential needs, and looking at what you can use to plug in holes. With so many bodies out, Turris could be a candidate to fill some temporary needs. He isn't a perfect fit for sure, but you won't know unless you try it out. If it doesn't work there isn't a lot of risk other than waiving him again and he runs out his deal in the summer.

By your logic because a player doesn't work out in several teams means they are irredeemable. There is a reason why Chiasson, Hunt, Hamonic, Pearson have bounced around but still find ways to fill roles that potentially fill certain needs of a team. This team lacks of right hand center, has credible repetoire to provide some secondary offense, and has played in the past on the special teams. Perhaps you haven't really paid attention either that PP2 unit lacks a center, that Pearson has had to be used, and PP1 has had to extend their powerplay to avoid using PP2 for faceoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

13th/ 14th forward?  We're deep up the middle but the problem is no RH C.  I think at worst he's on par with Dowling but just for situations (e.g. defensive zone draws) I'd rather carry one.     

How much is Turris making? 

If it’s not much, I’d claim him just so that we have a player who can play centre and is a RH one to boot. 

Since you know, we don’t have any of those in our line up. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Koskinen+ for Fleury with a bit retained?

Both expiring contracts, maybe Fluery allows it 

Slide as they have, the Oil have better playoff odds than Chicago, Chicago has to grab a wildcard spot while the Pacific is more spread open

Doesn't sound like MAF is all that keen to move anywhere. They do say its up to him. Can't see him wanting to go there, he's won everything and Edmonton isn't exactly a great city to go to, Chicago is a heck of a lot more fun. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Doesn't sound like MAF is all that keen to move anywhere. They do say its up to him. Can't see him wanting to go there, he's won everything and Edmonton isn't exactly a great city to go to, Chicago is a heck of a lot more fun. 

I'm inclined to agree, but it depends on what he wants. Is he fine chilling in Chicago? It's possible. Does he plan on playing past this season? If not, would one last shot at the playoffs with another team appeal to him? If so, how many teams would be willing to bring him in at a large cap hit? Even with retainment he'd eat up a good amount of space. 

Depends on what he wants. 

Jokes aside, Turris is making about $1.65M but is a UFA after this year.  So really, in the grand scheme of things for the Canucks, it'd be no harm no foul in claiming him... he just walks after this season is done anyways. 

At worst, he's as bad as he looks on paper and becomes a 13th forward.  At best, he regains some confidence playing in his hometown and becomes an effective 3rd line centre.  He's about 50% on the draw in his career (57% this year actually), and is a RH centre, something the Canucks are severely lacking in.

So clearly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Turris is claimed by Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1