The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins article on potential JT Miller cost

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Been reading a lot of pages about the trading of Miller and two things springs to mind..

Firstly,... a lot of the rumours about what teams thinks Miller is worth, is a bit of a fools game (likely by fans website or local paper hacks supporting those teams). 
Nobody goes in at this time a throws a mega offer on the table, before they know if its worth it. 
Would teams love Miller in their line up sure, but unless they know for sure there's a reason to blow the bank, they are hardly likely to do so....

Secondly... If the picture was turned around, would we have been willing to give up a recently drafted 1OA or 2OA + a highly sort after prospect + a1st rounder etc for a player, who would be a UFA in 15 months?

Point being, maybe temper the expectations of what we can, will or will not be getting back for Miller. 
Mean time if we don't get, what we want, he remains a Canuck, so no harm done. Some of these trade proposals given by Rangers and Bruins won't be much worse next year at the D/L... although we may not be in a position that allows us to trade him then. 

Anyway just my 2 cents...

Made a post a month ago.   When we think about trading Miller ...flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF

What the teams thinking about trading Miller see as the return ...Jack Black Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This is a good point.  A GM's perspective on how 'desperate' they are to win will definitely play a significant factor in what any offer for a player like Miller could consist of.  CGY is a cap team (believe it or not) and they will have some serious contracts to deliberate on this summer (Mange/Tkak - RFA, Gaudreau - UFA, 3 of their top 6 defence UFA, etc....).  That's why they're likely 'all in' (or as in as they can be with the cap) this time around (their draft this year is going to be a joke, you should look it up if you enjoy other people's misery lol).  Boston's window has been steadily closing since forever it seems, but realistically, their GM/owner/fanbase knows that eventually Bergeron/Rat Boy will steadily decline.  They're a cap team as well with not much in the prospect pool really but they have a lot of draft capital actually.  NYR is the interesting one, they're 'window' some say is just opening, they have a lot of young talent already playing important minutes on the team, and they have a great combination of reasonable prospects, cap space, and draft capital to work with. 

Of the three I'd say CYG is desperate to win now as evidenced by the Toffy trade, as it will be a steady decline in the standings after this season.

Boston is desperate but has little to offer a club like Van other than future draft picks (which may be worth something if their club regresses as much as we hope they will).

NYR are not desperate to win now, have both cap space and draft capital to work with and have young valuable pieces.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. 

The way I see it with NYR is they are both young and old their best players Kreider and Panarin are both 30 and soon to decline you would think, so the question they need to ask is will the young guys improve faster then the old guys decline?  I'm not sure what the answer is.  So do you take your shot while you know those two are still in their prime or do you take the chance that they wont decline and the young guys will improve?  Stay tuned I guess.

• Thanks 1

The only thing to compare is they both have a year left on their deals. Miller's play this year is light years ahead of Toffoli and he also can play center. 

After the Toffoli deal value is a first, 2nd/3rd, blue chip prospect and average roster player....AT WORST. If we can get that much and it includes a right hand d man we have to seriously consider it. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If teams think a first and a prospect get it done forget about it.

We can get a deal like that in the offseason.

No motivation for us to trade him until we can see what his contract ask is if that’s the case.

Usually I think ok, we are all kind of biased here and CDC tends to over value Canucks players. But from what i've seen and heard from the Eastern media of rumored interested parties like the Rangers and Bruins is almost comical. Rangers media member yesterday kept on saying oh no a player like Schneider is an untouchable not a player the team will consider and Chytil is a tough move. I am like what are you talking about haha

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

But for Boston’s interests, it’s the similarity between Toffoli and Miller that’s so interesting. They are comparable veteran forwards that both have additional years on their contracts, so they would be considered comparable in many ways.

I assumed this was just some teenage fan blog post, but apparently this guys been a sports journalist for 18 years? I'm not exactly great at words and $&!#, but I think even I could do better.

37 minutes ago, Screw said:

I think losing Carlo would be too big of a blow to their defence core in Boston

We could always add Hunt?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Usually I think ok, we are all kind of biased here and CDC tends to over value Canucks players. But from what i've seen and heard from the Eastern media of rumored interested parties like the Rangers and Bruins is almost comical. Rangers media member yesterday kept on saying oh no a player like Schneider is an untouchable not a player the team will consider and Chytil is a tough move. I am like what are you talking about haha

Its like the Pearson + Poolman + 3rd round pick for: Barzal type proposal lmao

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Fair, but we're also need extra assets in exchange, even for the rest of year.

I see him as filler in the deal, kind of like peanut styrofoam stuffing for shipping something. You won't remember you had it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is a good point.  

Of the three I'd say CYG is desperate to win now as evidenced by the Toffy trade, as it will be a steady decline in the standings after this season.

Boston is desperate but has little to offer a club like Van other than future draft picks (which may be worth something if their club regresses as much as we hope they will).

NYR are not desperate to win now, have both cap space and draft capital to work with and have young valuable pieces.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. 

Florida and Carolina could also feel the time is now. Who knows ... lots of factors at play. If I'm Florida the time is now. Whether they even need an upgrade at forward or his unique skill set I'm unsure. They are on hell of a good team though.

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Florida and Carolina could also feel the time is now. Who knows ... lots of factors at play. If I'm Florida the time is now. Whether they even need an upgrade at forward or his unique skill set I'm unsure. They are on hell of a good team though.

FLA is interesting, they're good now, but next year Barkov is due his massive raise on his extension and the year after that Huberdeau has the potential to command the same amount of money as Barkov if he keeps going the way he has (easy folks, I said almost).  They've spent a LOT of draft capital recently (of their top 6 picks in the next three drafts they only have 3 left).  The best prospect in their entire organization is a goalie and they currently have Bob signed to that insane contract with NMC.  They also have a not unsubstantial amount of dead cap space on their books as well.  Oh yeah, they have essentially zero cap-space available currently.  As I said, they're interesting. 

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

a first-round pick, an additional draft pick exciting high upside prospect like Lysell, a top chip in prospect like Jack Studnicka who can be expected to play a role going forward, and a roster player cap dump like Jake DeBrusk

fixed this one?  :blush:

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

NY is still young, 

Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Strome, Goodrow, Reaves, Trouba and Nemeth aren't so young...

1 hour ago, Screw said:

I think losing Carlo would be too big of a blow to their defence core in Boston

They can have one of Poolman or Hamonic back.

Carlo, Lyssel, 1st and Debrusk (cap) for Miller and Poolman/Hamonic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They can have one of Poolman or Hamonic back.

Carlo, Lyssel, 1st and Debrusk (cap) for Miller and Poolman/Hamonic.

I agree with you, this was the trade I was thinking of too. 

Carlo and Lyssel plus a 1st. They can add a cap dump (debrusk or otherwise) if they want. Canucks offer Miller and Hamonic/Poolman. 

• Cheers 1