The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If I was an Islanders fan, I'd be pi**ed. 

Imagine if JR did that - very few prospects and trading away their best prospect, a decent winger and a 1st round pick, for a player that might not even re-sign. And they're not even a playoff team!  They don't even need a C! They already have Barzal, Pageau, Cizikas and Nelson who can play C.

People complaining that JR is too old and ruining the team. Sheesh, Lou is losing it. 

It's not going to instantly be better for the Canucks, it's still going to take time, drafting players, developing, etc. They'll get there though and the team will be exciting again one day. .

I remember feeling like the Islander fan for the same reason not long ago for those same reasons you mention NUCKER67 when we weren't a playoff team either. Imagine if Bo gets hurt now and they can't sign or trade him, they just lost Bo and their future for nothing, This is a huge gamble, They must be confident they can resign him because the risk makes no sense for the reasons that i stated

• Cheers 1

The isles acquired a “right now” player. The Canucks acquired players with “hope for the future” retaining horvat still has hope attached to it ,questioning just exactly how sustainable this scoring pace continues before he falls back into reality. The isles had/have scoring problems , and one would” hope” that our new players getting out of that scoring doldrum and coming into a team that isn’t having as much scoring problems as the isles that there could be an upswing in goals. The trade addresses everything JR said he wanted a reclamation player ,a prospect and a pick. I’m still going to miss horvat and continue to hate millers contract. Hope is all we ever had either way.  I hope the isles do good enough for us to get this yrs pick. I hope the canucks get bedard and hope there’s a good player at 13 oa. HOPE. 

• Cheers 2

If Beauvillier can be a 20 goal scorer, bring speed, and play on the PK then I'll be happy with that piece. Might even thrive in a new system. He was arguably one of the Islanders best players in the playoffs the last two runs. He's not JUST a cap dump as some have stated. Although that theory has some weight to it, I just don't buy it. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Brock for a 2nd

Schenn for a 3rd

We'd have two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds in this draft.  That'd be incredible.

I think Schenn will get a2nd

Hits leader

Decent plus minus on a terrible defense

RHD 

Physical

Vet with cup experience

That's a 2nd in my books

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

When you blow it by signing Miller, OEL, and Myers to crap long term deals, so you trade away one of your best players in Horvat.

Give away the other 3 and keep Horvat. Still would have been a better team.

news flash friend....you can't....:(

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Brock for a 2nd

Schenn for a 3rd

We'd have two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds in this draft.  That'd be incredible.

I can see Schenn being traded for late 1st. Guys like Goodrow and Chariot got a 1st round pick. Teams value toughness and at a cheap price.

Beauvillier isn't getting a lot of love, understandably compared to Raty and the 1st, but he does bring speed and supposedly shows up in big games. 

As it is now, if everyone is healthy (next season) - excluding Pearson (Hoglander and Lockwood in Abby)

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Lazar - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Dries

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's pretty obvious and I said this months ago that after going thru several Presidents, GM's, Coaches and an army of assistant coaches, trainers, medial staff and most of the front office over the last several years - and still getting worse by the day - that other than forcing Aqua-lini out of the picture (which most normal Canucks fans are still praying for), that our Captaincy was the last thing that had not been overhauled. 

I also stated months ago that I strongly suspected that JR & Co. wanted to shake the team out of it's well known "West Coast Country Club" culture that they've been floating in for years.   So, I am very satisfied and not surprised to see Bo get traded as we've needed a real captain for years now.  Hopefully they don't hand the "C" out too quickly and they think very carefully before doing so.  Hopefully by then a real leader will emerge unlike when Bo simply was ordained captain when the Sedins left because there was absolutely no one else to give it to but him as he was the closest thing we had at the time to being a somewhat good player.

I hope this trade is the first in a long, long list of purging - that this rotten team needs.   Long Overdue!

Rumours has it, Canucks are working on a trade with Flyers.... Fin for Gritty.... the final details still to be sorted out....

you heard it here first... :lol:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Schenn will get a2nd

Hits leader

Decent plus minus on a terrible defense

RHD 

Physical

Vet with cup experience

That's a 2nd in my books

That and the 2nd we get from a contender is around #60. A 3rd would be around 90... no thanks

9 minutes ago, ohmy said:

If Beauvillier can be a 20 goal scorer, bring speed, and play on the PK then I'll be happy with that piece. Might even thrive in a new system. He was arguably one of the Islanders best players in the playoffs the last two runs. He's not JUST a cap dump as some have stated. Although that theory has some weight to it, I just don't buy it. 

The way I see it, the deal was probably centered around Raty but with critical pieces to balance.

The "prize" of the trade is the sliding 1st Rd Pick. Things would have to go exceedingly well for NYI this and next season for that pick to lose value.

The cost of that prize was Beauvillier. I'm not saying he's bad or just a cap dump, but his name has been in the rumor mill for awhile so there's evidently not much of a market for him, or least not at his AAV. I agree that Beauviller may well thrive with the Canucks so it's unlikely he was a "throw in" from the Canucks' perspective, but he sounds like a NYI has been trying to move out for awhile so they may have been more willing to bend on the 1st Rd Pick.

Maybe the Canucks' retention on Horvat was also a factor in NYI agreeing that the 1st Rd Pick would be unprotected.

It will be very interesting to see if NYI can re-sign Horvat. If NYI can't re-sign Horvat and can't recoup much value for him (if they trade him before the TDL), then the Canucks absolutely win this trade based on the 1st Rd pick alone. That's a huge loss for the future of NYI. Even if they re-sign Horvat, NYI has so much cap tied to older players that it's hard to imagine their fortunes improving much by next season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Raty is a legit prospect, but he does come with some risk. He dropped in his draft year because he felt too much pressure from being touted as the 1OA (he admitted to buckling under the pressure). He's continued to progress, but whether he'll be able to handle the Vancouver pressure/media remains to be seen.

I’m encouraged that they’re starting him in Abbotsford. Hopefully the organization will take their time with Raty and look to develop him as much as possible away from the fishbowl of the big club. I think a big part of getting him as close as possible to his ceiling is mental. If Colliton and company can build up his confidence and belief in himself, all the tools are there for Raty to become a very good top-6 NHLer. He might even eventually replace Bo’s production (at least prior to his outlier season this year) and role in the lineup. But even if he ends up closer to “floor” than “ceiling,” Raty should become a decent 3C for us for many years.

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I have a sense that Beau is going to thrive with our high-scoring offence. If we can unload Brock and save bunch of cap, we're on our way to seeing a retooled team.

He’s definitely a potential sleeper in this trade. Without a question, Beauvillier is at a low point in his career, when it comes to value, and his results have been poor the past couple seasons. Right now, it’s fair to view him as a negative value cap dump. But from 2017-21, he was a pretty good value player that was charting like a surefire top-6 forward. If a change of scenery and new opportunities spark a return to his previous performance levels, then we’ll have landed a pretty good roster player. There’s definitely a chance he could prove to be an asset, either on this roster, or as a future trade chip (the Habs, for instance, have been rumoured for quite some time to have interest). There are also some percentages in his stats (individual and on-ice shooting percentages, for instance) that suggest he may be overdue for some “regression to the mean” (in a positive sense).

• Cheers 1