The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gaunce is my dark horse Canuck prospect for next year.  I am hoping he has a good summer and can work on his first couple of steps to get up to speed.  He has a solid all around game. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's why he and Drouin started about the same point and Gaunce beat him down the ice to score.

Gaunce is faster at top speed, but .drouin is quicker getting to his top speed.  I agree.

Considering that the canucks lack big thick bodies up front.

Gaunce will be given every chance to be that player for the Canucks.

He had such a good camp last year, and hoping for another strong showing in September.  Its too hard to send him down again if he does.  He has done just about everything to earn a spot.

• Upvote 1

I have always liked Gaunce. But there is a problem. As a 1st round pick he just wound up not projecting as a top 6. 

The talk turned to him being a versatile bottom 6. He has the body. Problem is, he doesn't really use that body.

He is a top 6 (AHL) player in a bottom 6 (NHL) body that isn't skilled enough up front, and doesn't play hard enough down low.

If I had things my way I would certainly load up the bottom 6 with potential skill like Gaunce. But I don't, and the NHL doesn't match. Your bottom guys need to be heavy. Gaunce doesn't fit that bill.

I think Canucks have deviated from that a bit but in the last couple seasons it hasn't worked out. Will they continue? Or go back to traditional Pacific-heavy style?

That worked for SJ until Pittsburgh came along. They were fast/skilled enough to brush off a lot of checks, and glide past their heavy 3D/4F lines. 

It's a conundrum. You have to be heavy to beat the West. But then you have to be fast to beat the East. Lots of middle ground to be found.

38 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

What is Gaunce's ceiling potential? Will he ever play physical? Could he be a 20-25 goal second liner? 15-20 goal third liner? 10-15 goal 4th etc? 

Gaunce I think could score 20 goals. but I think he's more along the lines of a Hansen. a utility player who can play top six. but would be far more effective in middle six to bottom six role. that's how I see him. he will score more than 10 goals a season for sure. he's too smart to be just limited to that. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

What is Gaunce's ceiling potential? Will he ever play physical? Could he be a 20-25 goal second liner? 15-20 goal third liner? 10-15 goal 4th etc? 

Middle 6 forward. Still had to learn to use his larger frame more effectively IMO (though he has improved in that regard). Smart player though which is good. 

Edited by J.R.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's all on Gaunces shoulders now, no excuses, just turn up and show JB what u got. It's his time and it's b@lls to the wall

Agreed...really needs to step up the intensity and start assertion g himself on the opposition.  He has the size and skills to make difference.  Just needs the confidence to do it.

Plenty of bottom 6 forwards, especially knowing that Burrows will be back for his final year and Virtanen may very will stick with the big club.

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Burrows

Where does Gaunce fit in? Dorsett? What about the Swedish League's MVP Rodin? Will he be in a top-6 role?

54 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Plenty of bottom 6 forwards, especially knowing that Burrows will be back for his final year and Virtanen may very will stick with the big club.

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Burrows

Where does Gaunce fit in? Dorsett? What about the Swedish League's MVP Rodin? Will he be in a top-6 role?

Sedins  Eriksson

Baer  Sutter  Virt/Rodin

Etem  Bo  Virt/Rodin

Bur  Granlund  Dorsett

Grenier

WD wants Bo to be a 3rd line defensive C (I think he has way more offensive upside, but I guess they want him to learn the heavy lifting 3C position.

Poor Gaunce is waiver exempt, so he is stuck in Utica until there's an injury

What could be considered bad is if he was picked early in the first round (like Malhotra and Torres for example) but he wasn't as SamJam mentioned already. If you get a top six out of a late first, then that's great, but if you draft for that potential and still get a middle/bottom 6 player then that's above average.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2016 at 4:50 PM, higgyfan said:

Sedins  Eriksson

Baer  Sutter  Virt/Rodin

Etem  Bo  Virt/Rodin

Bur  Granlund  Dorsett

Grenier

WD wants Bo to be a 3rd line defensive C (I think he has way more offensive upside, but I guess they want him to learn the heavy lifting 3C position.

Poor Gaunce is waiver exempt, so he is stuck in Utica until there's an injury

unless he totally out plays people at camp

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

unless he totally out plays people at camp

Which is definitely a possibility with Gaunce.

But unlike some posters, I don't believe another AHL season would hurt his development. He'd be looking at a top two lines positions and a leadership role on what, on paper at least, looks to be a much improved Comets team. This likely means another playoff run for Utica and potentially another shot at winning the Calder.

That kind of experience can only help Gaunce.

Plus I'd love to see him really used in a top end scoring role and see what type of totals he can put up. Also a potential move back to centre might be in the cards, and possibl Utica's lineup provides a better fit for this.

And regardless of where he starts the season, Gaunce will be getting NHL games in 2016-17 due to injury relief. But in Vancouver, he might have to wait in the press box for an opening. In Utica, he'll be playing prime minutes until he gets the call.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Which is definitely a possibility with Gaunce.

But unlike some posters, I don't believe another AHL season would hurt his development. He'd be looking at a top two lines positions and a leadership role on what, on paper at least, looks to be a much improved Comets team. This likely means another playoff run for Utica and potentially another shot at winning the Calder.

That kind of experience can only help Gaunce.

Plus I'd love to see him really used in a top end scoring role and see what type of totals he can put up. Also a potential move back to centre might be in the cards, and possibl Utica's lineup provides a better fit for this.

And regardless of where he starts the season, Gaunce will be getting NHL games in 2016-17 due to injury relief. But in Vancouver, he might have to wait in the press box for an opening. In Utica, he'll be playing prime minutes until he gets the call.

I can't say I know a ton about AHL hockey but looking at some of the signings JB made this past week, is it fair to say the Comets look to be very good next year? 

For sure, the AHL would be fine for him. He's not outperforming the AHL yet, but will be able to benefit from call ups still to try and match his game to the speed of the NHL (which is my one concern for him to stick regularly in the NHL, being able to apply his game consistently against faster, bigger players). In the AHL he'll be able to push his offensive game and continue to improve his 200ft responsible game.

If he earns it, I'd like to see him rewarded, but to give him every opportunity to keep developing his game in a top role is not a bad thing.

Edited by elvis15