The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

I see Linus Karlsson signing his ELC and waltzing right onto the team as Petey's winger, flanking Hoglander on the other side.  Yes, he'll be a rookie, but a mature rookie.  One year younger than Petey, and 18 months older than Podz, he's developed nicely in the Swedish premier league.

We all saw the chemistry with Miller between Podz and  Chiasson  -  I would expect the latter being resigned, and that will remain a heavy line.

Pearson gets reunited with Bo, and Garland stays on that line, then as has been suggested, Lammikko with Highmore and Woody is an energy 4th line.  Spares could be Richardson (resigned) and maybe Bailey (JR has said he wants speed), although I'd love to see Lucas Jasek brought over and given a season with the big club.  He served loyally in Utica, doing everything that was asked of him.  Whether he'd want to, after the broken promises, is another thing, though

So in my prognosis, Boeser, Dickinson, Dries and Petan are expendable.

What are the chances of signing the Russian kid, his name escapes me. But, he might be a nice add too. He's a KHL unsigned FA, and sounds like he wants to come to the NHL. Karlsson and Jasek are intriquing. To me Garland is a much harder worker, and higher skilled than Boeser is right now. Dickinson hasn't shown enough to the new management group, and I think they're going to like to see a full season of Lockwood. I'll get the kids name in a second.. Andrei Kuzmenko. But, of course the entire NHL is in on this kid, of course the TML's are first in line according to the talking heads at TSN.

Edited by johngould21

The entire NHL should be staying away from Russia as far away as possible.The impact of war is far too evident and thats why they are - rightfully so- banned from the WJHC this summer. Personally i like miller way too much to give up on him, players that needs to go are Dickinson, Poolman....but to let Miller go is a painful one meaning we would loose pretty much an entire line, since hes been carrying the line hes been on the entire season. If u dont mind waiting 5 years to take a chance on a new untested unknown 1st pic to get a cup then sure, but if u can find cap space id like to keep him. we would have been playoff bound if boudreau had been coach 10-15 games earlier in the season. The big questionmarks are what core we want to keep and what type of players do we need. If we loose miller we need that type of player, if we loose boeser we need a new sniper....its not easy, especially since Garland, Hoglander, Podz are players u dont want to loose either....

On 4/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, -DLC- said:

You're overlooking the abominable start though.

One is NOT in decline, you're assuming he will be. And he just turned 29 last month, so not sure why we have to stretch things?

Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

I look at moving Miller as a risk mitigation issue. Stats show that performance starts to fall off at +30. Yes there are exceptions and Miller could be one of those. We won't know what Miller will bring back until a deal is made, if it is. That is the big challenge for JR & PA this summer. If serious contention is out 3-4 years then moving Miller makes more sense. Are there teams willing to ante up enough to make moving Miller worth it? Moving Miller would hurt Van's center position. Can EP40 be a top 6 center? We know Horvat is. Move Miller and the 3C becomes a concern. I am still in the move Miller camp because my assumption is that he brings back a RD top 4 player. But what do I know? 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I look at moving Miller as a risk mitigation issue. Stats show that performance starts to fall off at +30. Yes there are exceptions and Miller could be one of those. We won't know what Miller will bring back until a deal is made, if it is. That is the big challenge for JR & PA this summer. If serious contention is out 3-4 years then moving Miller makes more sense. Are there teams willing to ante up enough to make moving Miller worth it? Moving Miller would hurt Van's center position. Can EP40 be a top 6 center? We know Horvat is. Move Miller and the 3C becomes a concern. I am still in the move Miller camp because my assumption is that he brings back a RD top 4 player. But what do I know? 

From Miller’s POV what contract is he confident any team will offer him July 2023?

Will he get more that 5 or 6 years?  I say no.

What team ever brings in a 30+ player (mostly a winger) UFA and gives them long term big money?

If Miller will not sign 6 years x 8 mil then we trade his sorry butt.  

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

From Miller’s POV what contract is he confident any team will offer him July 2023?

Will he get more that 5 or 6 years?  I say no.

What team ever brings in a 30+ player (mostly a winger) UFA and gives them long term big money?

If Miller will not sign 6 years x 8 mil then we trade his sorry butt.  

Do you really want someone to answer this?

Petry is being paid 6.25mil up until he's 38

Piets is being paid 8.8mil until he's 37.

Wheeler's being paid 8.25mil until he's 37.

Ovie's paid 9.5mil until he's 40.

Backstrom's paid 9.2mil until he's 37.

Oshie's paid 5.75mil until he's 37.

Carlson's being paid 8mil until he's 36. (damn that's going to be an aging Capitals team)

Reilly's being paid 7.5mil until he's 36 (and he's only 28 now)

Crosby's being paid 8.7mil until he's 37.

Brayden Schenn's being paid 6.5mil until he's 37.

Spurgeon's being paid 7.575mil until he's 37.

Couture's being paid 8mil until he's 38.

Hertl's being paid 5.625mil until he's 36.

Erik Karlsson's paid 11.5mil until he's 36.

Burns is being paid 8mil until he's 40.

Vlasic's being paid 7mil until he's 39.

Zibenejad's being paid 8.5mil until he's 37 (<---- this is the common comparison with Miller)

Josi's being paid over 9mil until 37.

So um... yeah... happens a lot more than you think as this isn't even an exhaustive list. The answer is quite a few teams in the NHL paid big money to players in their 30's longterm. For the Sharks especially it's their favourite pasttime.

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I've always thought that if EP was a superhero, I would pick Megamind due to his being called Alien, high hockey IQ, his thin frame, his ability to do multiple things (PK, PP, assist, stick handle, shoot powerfully, etc.), and his wise-cracking sense of humor:

image.png.7f6bd75a4f8a06d86f0173c44ca44483.png

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

On 5/31/2022 at 3:28 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Pettersson's got a serious haircut.  Now let's see if he's serious about being a superstar in the NHL.  Don't need a limp wristed human zamboni that he was for the first 50 games last season...need Pettersson to be the "big game" player that he was for the final 32 games this past season.

• Vintage 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, Alflives said:

Our two missed the playoffs with each having their best year.  

Do it Allvin!

8 x 8.5 for Miller 

and in two years

10 x 8 for Petey!

:frantic:

No don't do it...Trade Miller in his prime and get the big return..Saying is sell high, no  7 years X 8.5 million...Crazy..

Need to 

Find  team trades us,  RD under 24, top 7 forward under 26, top prospect, 2nd rounder 2022....LA Kings, NJ Devils, ( Rangers if they lose to Tampa) NY Islanders, Boston,

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

No don't do it...Trade Miller in his prime and get the big return..Saying is sell high, no  7 years X 8.5 million...Crazy..

Need to 

Find  team trades us,  RD under 24, top 7 forward under 26, top prospect, 2nd rounder 2022....LA Kings, NJ Devils, ( Rangers if they lose to Tampa) NY Islanders, Boston,

I think if the Rangers advance to the Finals, but lose there, I think they’ll try to go all in for next season again. JT could help them put over the hump. But the Rangers would have to part with some valuable pieces if they’re going to get JT. If they lose against Tampa Bay, I think they feel like they need to add another piece to get pass the Lightning. 

• Like 1

Petey was starting to look like he had receding hairline there, so not a big surprise he shaved his head. He doesn’t want to look like child-molesting Auston Matthews with his receding hairline and moustache. 
Petey had his best season yet last year after a super slow start. I say next year grab him for your hockey pools because he is going to absolutely bring it.

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

If you were around the UK in the 50's, you will remember Eagle Comics' Dan Dare and the Mekon.

Petey sporting the Mekon look .....

image.png.f4974523e3ac86dba53b62e0fded89e0.png

If you get one person on this board who responds affirmatively to this, or even has any idea what you're referring to,  I'll keel over on the spot!::D

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If you get one person on this board who responds affirmatively to this, or even has any idea what you're referring to,  I'll keel over on the spot!::D

I don't wish you to keel over Captain Canuck #12, you are much too valuable a poster, but I was a teenager in the '50s living in the UK and, despite my advanced years I DO remember Dan Dare from "Eagle" comics, as well as "The Beano", "The Dandy" etc. etc.   I'm sure Googlie will also remember those comics.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1