The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

I have to begrudgingly admit I don't hate this trade. I was sure I would as soon as I saw the words 'Trade' 'OEL' and '9th overall'. But this is actually pretty good. We just acquired a youngish top 6 forward and a top 4d without giving up any roster players, basically the only real cost to us is the 1st, 2nd and 7th. We also moved out $12m in dead cap for $7m in a player that can play. This now gives us over $19m in cap space, almost $23m if you include Ferlands LTIR. With that space all we have to do now is resign Petey, Quinn, Dickinson and Garland. 

Probably not enough to quite get all that done but if the rumors from just ahead of the expansion draft about multiple teams wanting to acquire Holtby are true and he gets moved for a mid pick and then moving Schmidt for a late 1st or a 2nd and another mid pick. This gives us over $33m in space to resign them and go after a couple of UFAs to fill any holes in our defense and get a cheap backup.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The prospect pool right now without the pick is probably better (or atleast on par) with what it was under Gillis.

Rathbone, Pod, Hog just came in on ELCs. Pettersson & Hughes are just starting out their careers, and we've now put ourselves in a position to compete now & going forward.

Garland is legit and he's young. This isn't spending picks to add around 30+ year old Sedins & Luongo, our top players still have plenty of good years - including now Garland. 

The point is , by doing this they are saying that they are all in this year. They are saying that they are ready to compete , now. If this doesn't work their is nothing coming down the pipe. Yes some of the players are young and have a bigger window then others. They must win now or in a few years we WILL be back in a rebuild mode.

This is not a cup contender. Maybe a playoff team. Their is literally no path to the cup with this team. Only another rebuild in the future.

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Furevanucks said:

He better not read this forum there is some toxic "fans" here

Meh. There are toxic fans everywhere. As much as I don't like a lot of management decisions from the Canucks, the Coyotes have been the epitome of a poorly run organization for decades, and the last few years in particular. I'm sure players care more about their relationships with organizations than with fans, since they at least have more control over their interactions with fans. 

4 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

This is a dumb trade. We took on 42 million plus whatever we pay Garland. We got rid of 12 million that’s expiring at the end of next year. So straight up salary exchanges we were behind big time. Obviously we get a good player in Garland but is he worth all those picks plus us taking on a terrible contract? I think it’s a bad trade. Just my opinion. 

The math is wrong.  OEL is 7 per year.  Not a 42 million dollar player per year.  So don’t know how we are behind big time.  Elders 6 million is also off the books.  So OEL is an an Edler replacement at 1 million more per year and the club unloaded 1i million and picked up a young goal scoring winger who is hands down the second best player in the deal behind OEL for the next 3-4 years.   

Seems like a Miller 2.0 with a big bonus.  

if he doesn’t improve with a better team and not the top d man night in and out with Schmidt and Hughes.  So he could be an at minimum an Solid 2 way guy for another few years.  That’s the going 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bure1010 said:

No point in arguing. I do agree this team got better. 
but you have to agree this move is so short sighted and reaks of benning trying to save his own butt

agreed. it's a risky trade for sure i can respect that opinion. I'm just happy we're actually doing something. In a perfect world, we get 2D OEL and Hughes can be free to play "easier" minutes. 

On a side note, our PP just got insanely better did it not? 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm really surprised the Aqua men signed on to this. OEL's actual salary for the next 3 years is 9.24M after the 12%.

Better than watching Eriksson sit in the press box for the last two seasons and this upcoming one.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

After the trade Schmidt be like...

"Hey JB.  I was just kidding about wanting out."

:lol: 

It changes things...

But who knows what has gone on behind the scenes or if Schmidt has burned the bridge.

Not sure how I feel about the trade.

OEL is aging, soft, and pricey. Garland is good. Seems like we traded garbage contracts that end soon for a garbage contract that go on forever?

Plus the 9th for Garland.

The team is without question better today, but I feel once again caught in the trap. I was hoping for a big snarly dman.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Metal Face Doom said:

1.2 retained by Phoenix.  And OEL is a lot better than LE.  

haven't had a chance to read the thread or break it down - but if true that they retained salary on OEL and we didn't....then the deal looks like one we simply had to make.

it's funny - Benning gets ripped for the autofill comments he makes (like all GMs do in interviews, etc) - but the whole "aggressive" thing that everyone has been questioning - pretty much proved true.

when I heard him talking earlier today - I was convinced he was going to move the 9th overall - he wasn't wearing a poker face - this is not surprising to me at all.

Love! love love love this deal! we got rid of 3 anchor contracts that isn't helping us and acquired a 25 yr old top 6 forward (fits our age range) and a top 4 defenceman due for a huge bounce back. 

the amount of whining on twitter and hfboards is bizarre to me. All it took to get rid of those deadweights is a 9th (in a weak draft) a 2nd next season and a 7th in 2023? 

we could buy out Jake, and still trade Holtby and Schmidt in the off season to create more cap space! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3