The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] February 9, 2022 NY Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks at 7:30 on SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

43 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I do too. I don't know what Bruce's issue is with Hoglander. The guy competes hard and his work ethic is top notch. That is like Bruces #1 ask. So what, he makes the occasional mistake? He creates so many chances, although sometimes finish is an issue. He is hard on the puck and plays with speed. Chaser just goes for a skate, Dickinson is making Sutter look tough, and Hunt is a minus every time he steps on the ice. I just don't get it. There a plenty of other plays to hold accountable first, just sure sit the young guy and everyone else gets a pass

I think people are seeing now that many of the things they didn't like about Green are consistent with, pretty much, every coach out there.  All coaches play favourites, all coaches have players they put in the doghouse for no reason and keep in there regardless of performance.  It appears that NH might be that player for BB

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Throw em both on the powerplay instead of running four forwards, let Hughes play rover 

Yes I agree. OEL should be the guy in the point. Hughes should be all over the place causing havoc. 

Boeser   Milller   Pettersson

OEL   Hughes 

Horvat, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander and Myers should be the PP2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Serious, not serious, Serious, not serious, Wait for it. I am picking petals for the answer....

Thatcher The Puck-Catcher can't be lett'n in any goals if he wants to stay Top of the Charts:

(check out the SV% column; is this the best goalie foursome we have ever had?

Player Goaltending Stats - All Splits
Player Goaltending Stats - All Splits

NAME
Thatcher Demko G
Jaroslav Halak G
Spencer Martin G
Michael DiPietro G
Total

SHOOTOUTS
GP WINS L OTL GA/G TOI SV SV% GA SA PIM SOSA SOS SOSPCT
35 18 15 2 2.57 2077:03 1004 .919 89 1093 2 13 11 .846
9 2 4 2 2.40 500:10 225 .918 20 245 2 5 3 .600
3 1 0 2 1.59 189:15 113 .958 5 118 0 3 1 .333
1 0 1 0 3.14 57:21 14 .824 3 17 0 0 0 .000
47 21 20 6 2.64 16824:57 1356 .921 124 1480 418 21 15

(Sorry about the split image; couldn't get it to present properly.)

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I agree. OEL should be the guy in the point. Hughes should be all over the place causing havoc. 

Boeser   Milller   Pettersson

OEL   Hughes 

Horvat, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander and Myers should be the PP2. 

I'd be down for that. 

Just seems to me we've been wasting OEL's offensive capabilities, and I'm a fan of running two D on the powerplay. If they want to get more offense from him (and they likely do) they should either play them together or divide the powerplay time more evenly between the two units. OEL, as many of us know, has a great track record of producing offense and his drop off is likely more due to deployment and the lack of premium offensive minutes than anything else. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

The way he got that shot through on the PP last night made me think he really should stay in that position. That release was so quick and lethal from the point.

It's a really tough one because Hughes is obviously our best player, and one of the best passers (arguably in this Conference!) - how can we use both of them to the best of their ability? 

100%!!! That little wrist shot is deadly and somehow gets it through a lot. I love how he walked the line a bit too to get the goalie out of position.

I think QH has to be the powerplay quarterback but if we get a stay at home defenseman to partner with OEL, he could be a beast for us 5v5 (and of course on pp2). 

3 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

I agree with Bruce B, the Islanders are a good team when healthy. It will be a tough game as both teams are in the PO race. Hoping the Nucks have their work boots on from puck drop and play with purpose. GCG!

I wouldn't say islander is in the playoff race.. even if they win every single game in hand on the Washington they are still not in a playoff spot... and they aint winning every single game in hand.. the points required to get in is much higher in the east than it is in the west. I just hope we see a goal or 2.. both team struggles hard for goals offensively and give up very few goals defensively

3 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

I agree with Bruce B, the Islanders are a good team when healthy. It will be a tough game as both teams are in the PO race. Hoping the Nucks have their work boots on from puck drop and play with purpose. GCG!

So incredibly boring to watch though, I remember watching them in the playoffs last year and thinking wow, what a structured, hard working team but my god they are almost unwatchable. Defense first for sure, but that makes them hard to beat 100%

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bruce might not have liked that penalty 200 ft from his own zone.

Even saw Dickinson move up onto the third line with Petey and Podz in the third period and Hoglander sat in the third period. Bruce mentioned in the post game conference he moved Dickinson to that line "to send a message to one of our players". You can tell Bruce isn't quite a fan of Hoglander right now.

I hope he doesn’t bench him because of one bad penalty. Some of the vets take bad penalties every game.

I don’t think he can ignore the chemistry Petey has with him. Those two along with Podz seem to just be getting going. I wouldn’t mess with it. We can’t afford to lose offense. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Hearing him say that makes me so warm and fuzzy inside........

Last night was the first time in a very long time Petey was confident with his puck control every time he had it. No hesitation and didn't get man handled and knocked off the puck as often as its been all season long.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Holy crap look at the size difference! Love his chippyness. Schenn can’t be the only one out there doing it. Icing on the cake that he got the fans roaring after. Great to see life in rogers arena again.

Ok I just have to point out. I love Schenn and what he brings to our team, but has anyone else noticed he isn't exactly chippy? I mean he is hardly in any scrums and I can't remember the last time he dropped the mitts. Maybe he is really just picking his spots but he isn't giving off that "tough guy" vibe anymore.