The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, McBackup said:

I understand that, but it seems incredibly shortsighted. You’ve got a month until the trade deadline. You have the most highly coveted piece on the market to make the most consequential trade in Canucks history since the Bure deal. And you decided to move him a month before you had to with salary retained for a protected first, decent but not groundbreaking prospect and a cap dump underperforming winger. Yes we’ll have to wait until the deadline passes to see what prices are at but this does just feel like management wasted a massive amount of potential on this deal.

How do you know, that perhaps, management hadn't come to the conclusion that they weren't going to make a deal, or that Bo

didn't want to be here anymore? 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

1. Because between now and then Bo could get hurt

2. Because NYI wouldn't make this deal at the deadline (because they'd be out of the playoffs by then).

3. Because the top teams are still going to be the top teams... their first round pick isn't suddenly going to be massively higher. 

4. Because if you are also trying to move Bo, Myers, Schenn, Demko, Garland, etc., you need time. Trying to do everything in a week is risky. 

I want to be clear, I am in no way defending this front office. I've basically given up on them. But it is hard to ignore the illogical ramblings of fans who refuse to think things through and assume that they are monumentally more competent and hold more information than the front office. 

Why limit yourself to NYI?  Who knows how standings will change in the next 5 weeks.  Leverage, it's what good GM's know how to use

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

1. Because between now and then Bo could get hurt

2. Because NYI wouldn't make this deal at the deadline (because they'd be out of the playoffs by then).

3. Because the top teams are still going to be the top teams... their first round pick isn't suddenly going to be massively higher. 

4. Because if you are also trying to move Bo, Myers, Schenn, Demko, Garland, etc., you need time. Trying to do everything in a week is risky. 

I want to be clear, I am in no way defending this front office. I've basically given up on them. But it is hard to ignore the illogical ramblings of fans who refuse to think things through and assume that they are monumentally more competent and hold more information than the front office. 

Too much logic.  He won't understand. 

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It’s an okay add on. Not the end omg the world. But he’s an UFA next year, so it’s fine. Could be flipped at TDL next year. 

20 goal scorer, can play the PK, adds speed. Maybe needed a change (we'll see, hopefully) but there's some +'s there. 

He's always been an intriguing player, maybe he finds a fit here & if he doesn't I think he's good enough to flip for something as you say.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I honestly don't think we are the minority. I just think the naysayers are really vocal. This is easily one of the best value 1sts we could have gotten. They are tenth in the Eastern conference. They are a team that can't score. I don't think many here would say Bo was the play driver. It is Petey, Hughes and Miller.

Will Bo magically turn them into a scoring machine? Not likely. That pick is very likely to stay around 13-19. They are 3 points shy of Washington, 2 points behind Pittsburgh who also have 3 fewer games played. I don't view Bo as that much of a difference maker. They have 2 players with 40 or more points this season. We had 5 prior to trading Horvat. If he thought he was playing with bad wingers here, wait til he gets a load of their wingers. Cause he ain't playing with Barzal and Brock Nelson.

I usually agree with you, but I don't think this is a good trade at all. Horvat was a 9th overall pick at the time. Since then, he's improved a lot.

Now if we're looking at it from that standpoint, the 1st round pick this year is protected, which means the Islanders have the leverage. If say they win the Stanley Cup next year, we'll be getting the 31st overall (worst case scenario). That's not a good return at all.

Raty is doing well in the AHL. So let's say he's comparable to Hoglander in that respect (Hoglander is not a C, I'm aware). That's a B+ prospect, at best. He may do well, or he might not. Raty dropped a lot in his draft year because scouts didn't think he was that good.

Beauvillier is a winger - a redundant piece that doesn't necessarily help us in the future.

The only time this trade would be good is if the Islanders miss the playoffs next year and are at the very bottom of the standings. There's too much uncertainty in this trade for a surefire talent like Horvat.

This is a bad return for the Canucks, IMO, especially if Horvat is re-signed long term with the Islanders at a good cap hit.

Canucks lose again.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That's the thing Cap, I am always right.

Except when I am not, we don't talk about those times. You were the chosen one Shinkaruk, you were supposed to be the Naslund :(

Dangit, Hunter, I'll never forgive you.

Alvin Interview confirming:

had to have a 1st round pick back.

They like Beauvillier the tenacity, puck hound nature of his game and how he looked in playoff hockey.

Want to have him on the Left Side in the Top 6.

Think he will skate with JT Miller.

He pronounced Raty name like RAT-E kinda funny. Made a Joke about him scoring on us saying we saw what he can do.

And that hes going to assign him to Abby and they really like him and his progression.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm definitely in the minority, but I actually think we got great value considering Horvat is a pending UFA. Glad we got a 1st and Raty is a great prospect. A RHD would've been great, but specific needs aside, I think we got good value here.

There's a lot of things to like about this trade...

I really like Raty.    https://prohockeyfocus.com/2021-nhl-draft-aatu-raty-scouting-report/  

Read the NHL comparison at the end of the page:lol:   He will have to work on his faceoffs for sure.

AB is a useful player as you have pointed the 1st could easily end up around the 13-16 range.

Bo goes to a team that the Nucks rarely face.  Without Bo, the Nucks end up in the top 5 pics.

I hate to see Bo go, but I have a feeling he is happy to move along.  Good luck Mr. Horvat, in both

hockey and life.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

How do you know, that perhaps, management hadn't come to the conclusion that they weren't going to make a deal, or that Bo

didn't want to be here anymore? 

How do you know Seattle wasn’t going to offer us Beniers, Wright, and their next 18 first round picks for Horvat?

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

Who knows how this trade is going to work out… the one question I have is how do these players tell us what our “identity” is going to be?

I don’t look at these players and have an obvious “oh hey!  that is the type of team they are trying to build”.  Identity isn’t just what system the coach plays, it is the horses you have in the barn.

The issue with this team isn’t as much just talent… it is how they work as a team.  It is just a mish mash of different guys.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What the Canucks needed

• Cap space
  • RHD
  • RHC
  • Prospects of any kind
  • Picks

What the Canucks got

• Small LW
  • LHC prospect
  • Protected pick

Every single fan and analyst has known what this team needs for almost a decade and every single year we avoid getting it.

When we show frustration at these trades it has to be obvious as to why.

This sums it up. I truly am happy that a Canucks fan (and not just a negative one) can see this trade for what it is - a very bad return.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

How do you think this compares to the reported ask for Meier who’s said to be asking $9M?

1st rounder - check

1 grade A prospect - check

1 established NHL player - yes/no?

What do the San Jose Sharks want in a trade for Timo Meier?

It sounds like three pieces.

“What I’m hearing is a first-rounder — and one Grade-A or two Grade-B prospects, or one good prospect and a young, established NHL player,” a source told San Jose Hockey Now.

That won’t be three easy pieces for a team to give up.

Your logic is not welcome here. Most Canucks fans relate to this guy as their spirit animal…

51CCA524-07F6-4E56-9FFC-BF0F1265FF11.webp

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1