The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hoglander outscored his entire draft class last year except Jack Hughes, who was playing in his 2nd NHL season.  Hughes scored 4 more points than Hoglander while playing over 19 minutes a night versus 15 minutes for Hoglander.  

Hoglander is a legit top 15 pick in his draft class in a redo of the draft.  And he will be better than Dylan Guenther...

I agree 100% with the bolded. Maybe, will ultimately touch top 10...

I diasagree regarding Dylan. I had him 5th or 6th with Edvinsson. He has both Boeser's deceptive and his powerful shot. Kid can score. More wheels, a lot of speed.  And he has some of that refined puck sense to read plays & protect the puck. Even some of the puck wizardry in Petey, makes plays at top speed. He has been a more dynamic player at all stages of development that can be compared to date. To Hoglander. Guenther IMO will be wicked.

It does remain to be seen if fulfills that potential? As you say, Nils is already doing it against men, and in the NHL. Has 2 years grace?    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Benning's acquistion of Connor Garland has caused a size concern in the top six.

Having two "small," top six forward wingers like Garland and Hoglander, playing in the top six, may not work out so good in the long run, and in the playoffs.

I wonder if Benning is planning on trading Beoser for big, physical winger over the next year, or so.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 3

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree 100% with the bolded. Maybe, will ultimately touch top 10...

I diasagree regarding Dylan. I had him 5th or 6th with Edvinsson. He has both Boeser's deceptive and his powerful shot. Kid can score. More wheels, a lot of speed.  And he has some of that refined puck sense to read plays & protect the puck. Even some of the puck wizardry in Petey, makes plays at top speed. He has been a more dynamic player at all stages of development that can be compared to date. To Hoglander. Guenther IMO will be wicked.

It does remain to be seen if fulfills that potential? As you say, Nils is already doing it against men, and in the NHL. Has 2 years grace?    

Hoglander dominated at the world junior championships against the best young talent in the world.  11 points in only 7 games.  Would have gotten alot more points and maybe led Sweden to the gold medal if not for his suspension.  He also has dominated his draft class so far, even outproducing by a fair margin the #2 overall pick in 2019 Kakko.

I am sure Guenther will be a good player, most top 10 players are for the most part.  But Hoglander also has puck wizardy, can juggle on a unicorn, and is tough as nails even though he is only 5'9".  He's basically a gym rat.  He also has great wheels and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty.  Guenther is not at the level of Petey or else he would not have dropped to #9.

We will see.  I am biased towards Swedish players though so maybe I am not being totally objective here...

On 8/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, Spotted owl said:

Benning's acquistion of Connor Garland has caused a size concern in the top six.

Having two "small," top six forward wingers like Garland and Hoglander, playing in the top six, may not work out so good in the long run, and in the playoffs.

I wonder if Benning is planning on trading Beoser for big, physical winger over the next year, or so.

Miller 6'2 , 215 --Petey 6'2 185 -- Boeser 6'1 200

Podkolzin 6'2 -210 -Horvat 6'0 -210-- Garland 5'8

Hoglander 5'9 --Dickinson 6'2 -- Pearson 6'1 

MacEwen 6'3 --Sutter 6'3 -- Motte 5'10...... Bailey 6'4 --Gadjovich 6'2, 215

Could use tough guy that can play top 9 ... Hard to find..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What you have said just isn't true for the reasons other people have mentioned. Outside of your comment, I haven't heard of this being a concern at all. If you have a link to where you heard about this, it would be appreciated; otherwise, I'm just going to assume you're falsely assuming your opinion as being fact.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Boeser is turning out to be that big, physical winger himself

Edited by Googlie
  • Vintage 4

On 8/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, Spotted owl said:

You need players who win their battles. And races to the puck.

It is worth more having size when the size can skate, move, and offer power like Hoglander? Less, when they cannot keep up with him!

There are only so many Jamie Benn's in this world.

Intrigued by Podkolzin who is like Hoglander plus 4 inches & 15 or 20 lbs

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Get those 2 on the same line, even if its on the 3rd line. 

#21 was always Hoglanders number pre Canucks so im happy hes got it back.

I can just imagine the conversation between Pods and Hogs in that photo.  Pods is saying, “OMG, look at these guys!”  And Hogs is saying something like, “I told you.  These guys are insanely good.”  

• Haha 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW