The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Isn't Stamkos making close to that? and points to EDM.. and laughs because they have two and the rest of their roster is ho-hum because of it.. 

Hmmm ..... but as of right now, aren't their ho-hums on the inside, looking out at our ho-hums?

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

That's why Rous was brought in to guide him in that direction but... nope.. I guess unless he has some sort of epiphany, or sudden and absolute love for the game and play it "all out" he's doomed to a 3rd/4th line career when clearly he has 2nd line skills bordering 1st line but his.. idk.. stubbornness? or immaturity still?  I think the latter after his attitude about covid and being out on the town instead of laying low like most players.. I just don't know for sure.. frustrating as F, I kept on the Jake train and started to get a bit happier as he grew his game but suddenly he stopped again.. Grrrr! 

But I'm a little bit relieved to have Podz here soon.. he's everything we need Jake to be. 

Have a beer on me. You need one and what the heck.. its Friday! !

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Stamkos is at 8.5 million which is a very decent cap hit in terms of helping a team maintain a strong internal cap limit.  

Teams like Edmonton, Toronto, and Buffalo really messed up in my opinion.   I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong, but Toronto is basically 2010-2015 Pittsburgh, in that, they will likely consistently field very solid teams but will ultimately come up short to the modern day Chicago’s, Boston’s, and LA’s who employ a “cost controlled elite talent + depth = championships” model (interesting to note that Chicago and LA both declined once Kane, Toews, Kopitar, etc., received their 10 million dollar contracts........well deserved mind you, but still).

Stamko 8.5 is around 10 in most places - his macedonian roots understood that the moment saw he TO's offer.  

Edited by IBatch

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Stamko 8.5 is around 10 in most places - his macedonian roots understood that the moment saw he TO's offer.  

True but not relevant.   Every team has the same ceiling and so Tampa’s tax advantages serve as a huge advantage.  FWIW - I am a fan of the way Calgary (Canadian market + no tax advantages)  is doing things in terms of their cap structure, but things have also not really panned out for them.  

Teams like Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, and NYI are doing things the correct way imo and I hope the Canucks can find a way to structure their cap in a similar manner.

ps - While I’m not entirely sure if Toronto and Edmonton’s big contracts are simply a reflection of the realities of a Canadian market (ie needing to hand out huge 10 million dollar contracts due to the relative tax disadvantages), but Buffalo has no excuse.  They REALLY effed up badly.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Same here.

For the new members, check out the legendary thread from 2011 (although most pictures are unavailable now):

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/296613-raffi-torres-is-literally-a-bowling-ball/

What's more fun Vintage is seeing some of the long time posters that still post today. And all the profiles that you never see now, guess they lost interest. 2 I noticed that I have not seen for awhile are @Baggins and @Toni Zamboni. Long timers @Coconuts @Shift-4 @debluvscanucks @kanucks25 @MikeyD @riffraff @b3. @xereau and @Green Building are all still posting.

• Cheers 3

Hey guys.

Mini poll time.

Aside from a win, what do you look forward to in tonight's game?

1. Lotto line continues its momentum. Big night on the scoreboard.

2. Nate Schmidt's emergence as a bonafide top pairing stud.

3. Juolevi... really starting to stand out.

4. High energy, in your face dominance starting right at puck drop.

5. Other.

Lotto line is why I tune in. Love it when those guys get rolling. But, really loving what I'm seeing from OJ. In this weird filler of a season, seeing some good young rookies playing meaningful minutes bodes so well for the future. If Hogs and OJ become what they are currently becoming, we are much further ahead than I thought was possible this time last year.

Go 'Nucks!!!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Define brutal?

Is he your new whipping boy?

I wonder why the coach plays such a brutal player?

I'm not really a whipping boy kinda guy, but I'd define brutal in this case as having 2 points and a -10 through 16 games and being a healthy scratch 20% of the time while being a noticeable liability when he does step on the ice. 

Just now, TheFly said:

Jeez I wish it was Holtby starting today. I thought he looked like he was ready to go on a roll last game. Cool, calm and collected.

I agree. I know Demko is going to be the # 1, but Holtby looked solid last game. I'd let him play tonight and see if he gets on a roll. The bottom line is, we're here to win.

7 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Hey guys.

Mini poll time.

Aside from a win, what do you look forward to in tonight's game?

1. Lotto line continues its momentum. Big night on the scoreboard.

2. Nate Schmidt's emergence as a bonafide top pairing stud.

3. Juolevi... really starting to stand out.

4. High energy, in your face dominance starting right at puck drop.

5. Other.

Lotto line is why I tune in. Love it when those guys get rolling. But, really loving what I'm seeing from OJ. In this weird filler of a season, seeing some good young rookies playing meaningful minutes bodes so well for the future. If Hogs and OJ become what they are currently becoming, we are much further ahead than I thought was possible this time last year.

Go 'Nucks!!!

4,3 and 1

5 - continued good play by our forwards in maintaining a closer gap to the D when we are moving the puck up-ice

I need to see many, many more games before I can agree with 2

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Stamkos is at 8.5 million which is a very decent cap hit in terms of helping a team maintain a strong internal cap limit.  

Teams like Edmonton, Toronto, and Buffalo really messed up in my opinion.   I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong, but Toronto is basically 2010-2015 Pittsburgh, in that, they will likely consistently field very solid teams but will ultimately come up short to the modern day Chicago’s, Boston’s, and LA’s who employ a “cost controlled elite talent + depth = championships” model (interesting to note that Chicago and LA both declined once Kane, Toews, Kopitar, etc., received their 10 million dollar contracts........well deserved mind you, but still).

A GM really has to go bargain hunting to fill out his roster once you get 2 players eating up over 20 million in cap space