The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't afford him. Don't need him.

we need a true 3C more. But I guess if they did sign him, they might be able to create that 3 scoring line approach people have been talking about. Dunno, not thrilled with the price here, and not sure how the cap space is opened up. 

I'm more scared about Jim signing Barrie. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Why? I wasn't scared last year, I'm even less so this year with both Hughes and Rathbone already here. Barrie is so far from a team need it's not even funny.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why? I wasn't scared last year, I'm even less so this year with both Hughes and Rathbone already here. Barrie is so far from a team need it's not even funny.

you answered the question. Its probably irrational :lol:

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you answered the question. Its probably irrational :lol:

Completely :lol:

I'm hoping he can pull another Schmidt-like trade for a steady RD to play opposite Hughes. That's the dream. 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Patrik Laine said:

Elliott Friedman reports on the contract negotiations of Oilers RNH. They have gone sideways. Would be worth a look to see what he is seeking for a contract. Can be our 2c or 3c or winger fills a huge hole where ever. 6.5 million would be nice and unlike sam Reinhart it costs no picks or players. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-oilers-contract-talks-with-ryan-nugent-hopkins-have-gone-sideways-003236869.html

RNH will be a better add than Reinhart (imo) cause he actually tries to be a responsible centre; and especially, with the cost: only cap.   

If they are able to sign RNH and kept there draft picks this would be a perfect aggressive offseason - a 2C or a 3C that is not just good at faceoffs.

• RoughGame 1

Good player, but not really a fit here.

If we were sitting with several million in free cap space, had already constructed most of a contending lineup, with a top notch top-4 D, and three excellent centremen already in place, then adding a guy like RNH could make a lot of sense.

But he’s definitely not our centre depth solution. He a very good hybrid C/W who you’d want to insert into a lineup as a swingman, not as an everyday centreman.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Nuge was over-paid at $6mil. He is soft, best suited to the wing and is a good player, not great. IMO he is worth a maximum of five million for a maximum of five seasons.

Good post, pretty much exactly what I was thinking he's worth, especially in a flat cap. He would give us some options, he's a pretty good play maker and scorer, I wonder how he would be paired with Podkolzin, a kid who never stops fighting for the puck.

• Like 1

I'd love to get RNH, but it's really not in the cards for us. Would be a huge blow to the Oilers though. The last thing they need to be doing now is losing their offense outside of McDavid and Draisaitl.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need a true 3C more. But I guess if they did sign him, they might be able to create that 3 scoring line approach people have been talking about. Dunno, not thrilled with the price here, and not sure how the cap space is opened up. 

There's no way they are going to even consider Barrie with Hughes and Rathbone.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

I’d be interested but for nothing more than $6.5M for like 4 or 5 years. 

RNH - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Miller - xxxx

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin

Motte - Graovac - MacEwen

That’s got a chance to be a really good forward group. Only issue is no real right handed center. 

Edited by Pears
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

RNH isn't soft.  He might not be a rugged player, but he's a rock solid 200ft player and plays in all situations.  I'd take him in a second

Likely Ferland is not able to play, so having RNH in our top nine forward mix allows Miller to play centre.  Then we have a really strong centre group, and good sets of winger on each line too.  That kind of skill, and 4 guys who are good at centre (Petey, Bo, Miller, and RNH) really give Green the ability to move guys around in the top nine depending on who is going good that game.  

6.5 seems a bit much though.  

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping he can pull another Schmidt-like trade for a steady RD to play opposite Hughes. That's the dream. 

yeah we'll see what opportunities expansion brings, and of course the lotto. If we get lucky and get 2nd oa then we can draft that guy. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah we'll see what opportunities expansion brings, and of course the lotto.

I'm greedy, I'd love to do both ::D

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If we get lucky and get 2nd oa then we can draft that guy. 

Clarke.png

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No cap space.  A good part of the reason Schmidt was so cheap was that he had a 6 million cap hit & term.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No cap space.  A good part of the reason Schmidt was so cheap was that he had a 6 million cap hit & term.

We have enough cap space to do something like that deal again.